A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Action Project

I'll do this in portuguese, so you get more comfortable with the conversation.

Okay, atraiu um pouco do meu interesse. Vi os vídeos e até que me parece promissor.

Só nos preste um favor: trabalhe neste projeto. Sabe, tem sido bem raro qualquer um que não seja o Lake Feperd terminar um fan game. Eu gostaria de ver esse aí pronto.

Só nos preste um favor: trabalhe neste projeto. Sabe, tem sido bem raro qualquer um que não seja o Lake Feperd terminar um fan game. Eu gostaria de ver esse aí pronto.

O que eu mais quero é terminá-lo, só não prometo que terei lançado uma Demo antes ou na SAGE, até por que eu estou fazendo absolutamente tudo sosinho, ae tem tanta coisa pra fazer que acabo me perdendo em o que fazer... Mas estou indo aos poucos, mas o único problema é isso, num ter alguém pra ajudar, até por que eu trabalho o dia todo fora, só me resta a noite e os dias de folga(1 vez por semana) pro jogo...

Guest Mr Lange

4shared.

Way to go.

Why bother uploading it at all if you're just going to mess with people?

If anyone is willing to go through that bullshit I'll gladly re-host it somewhere that isn't retarded.

Edit: Did it myself. I guess two douche moves can make a right.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a8z9mgk9ucm9lvg/sonic_action_engine_test.rar

Im just gonna try and request this early from now on -- please for the love of god, dont put QTE into your fangame. It's a terrible mechanic. It's not fun, interesting, skillfull, it's just annoying artificial difficulty. I believe i mentioned this to Nefault before; Sonic Advance / rush came up with a great alternative already that could be applied to both springs and ramps, could be used to access new paths, and didn't remove control from the player. And in the case of Sonic Rush, it was a very significant gameplay difference between Sonic and Blaze in terms of speed running the stages.

Also, either remove bottomless pits altogether or stop placing them in such bad positions. I ran off a cliff into a pit almost 4 times in a row. And i'd agree that it was all my fault if it actually was. The idea wouldn't be bad for teaching me that i could slide off walls if it didn't KILL me for not reacting fast enough. Again, referencing older sonic games, Sonic 3 and Knuckles almost entirely removed screen kills from the level design.

I guess it really is Sega's fault for doing this for so many years, but please do mind incorporating gameplay that encourages you to move forward and then punishes/murders you at random. I'm discouraged from playing fangames that make me play Russian Roulette with the level designer everytime i step off a ledge, hit a ramp or move at full speed for too long.

Im just gonna try and request this early from now on -- please for the love of god, dont put QTE into your fangame. It's a terrible mechanic. It's not fun, interesting, skillfull, it's just annoying artificial difficulty. I believe i mentioned this to Nefault before; Sonic Advance / rush came up with a great alternative already that could be applied to both springs and ramps, could be used to access new paths, and didn't remove control from the player. And in the case of Sonic Rush, it was a very significant gameplay difference between Sonic and Blaze in terms of speed running the stages.

Also, either remove bottomless pits altogether or stop placing them in such bad positions. I ran off a cliff into a pit almost 4 times in a row. And i'd agree that it was all my fault if it actually was. The idea wouldn't be bad for teaching me that i could slide off walls if it didn't KILL me for not reacting fast enough. Again, referencing older sonic games, Sonic 3 and Knuckles almost entirely removed screen kills from the level design.

I guess it really is Sega's fault for doing this for so many years, but please do mind incorporating gameplay that encourages you to move forward and then punishes/murders you at random. I'm discouraged from playing fangames that make me play Russian Roulette with the level designer everytime i step off a ledge, hit a ramp or move at full speed for too long.

As I said before, I'm doing everything myself, for not having much time lately, it's hard to focus attention on one thing, my goal is to have a level design in the game similar to the old games, but it seems that there it is as planned unfortunately ...

About QTE I deleted it, it was a mess, having buggy, I'm still thinking of something similar to the Sonic Rush game mechanics ...

I can only move the game night and on days off, but do it alone is leaving me exhausted, there is still much done to be able to release a demo, do not even know if I can release a Demo to SAGE ... =/

As I said before, I'm doing everything myself, for not having much time lately, it's hard to focus attention on one thing, my goal is to have a level design in the game similar to the old games, but it seems that there it is as planned unfortunately ...

About QTE I deleted it, it was a mess, having buggy, I'm still thinking of something similar to the Sonic Rush game mechanics ...

I can only move the game night and on days off, but do it alone is leaving me exhausted, there is still much done to be able to release a demo, do not even know if I can release a Demo to SAGE ... =/

Yeah, I noticed your game seems to incorporate alot of the "speed" mechanics that are in sonic games these days, and was just pointing out a few things to keep in mind when doing levels.

It just feels like sonic fangames modeled after Unleashed/Colors/Gen are way too eager to kill you.

• 7 months later...

Hello guys, forgive me for not posting anything these past few months, I was without internet ... Hehe

But this time I continued working on the project in the meantime I migrated the engine, which was before the 8 directions, I'm now using engine 360 taken by BlazefireLP.

Untitled_6.png?1397018062

Untitled_5.png?1397018088

As you can see I changed quite a bit since HUDS until the sprites, for now I have nothing more than novelty to show off that. The change of engine was the only thing new. hehe
I also gave an edited description of the topic, where I put some new information ... Within a few days I will release an alpha of the game for testing... =P
Edited by Flasher the hedgehog

Its looking alright so far. The HUD still kinda bothers me though, specifically the bar on the bottom and the placement of the score and lives.

I think your placement of the bar on the bottom is fine, but its the chaos emerald bar thing above it that I'm not liking too much. There's an awful lot of unneeded empty space separating the two bars from each other which pushes the emerald's bar a bit too much into the middle space of the frame. Its pushed up even further due to its visual design which also adds a lot of unnecessary visual information to the frame in my opinion. The large gap between the two bars kind of makes both bars vague as to what their use is, I mean are they separate bars that gauge different things? Is the Chaos Emerald bar not even a bar at all and is instead some kind of visual item equip that has nothing to do with the bottom bar? Or is the bottom bar part of the top bar? I don't know and I probably wouldn't know unless the game told me. I'd focus on streamlining your HUD and take away visual flair and stylized graphics in favor of clearer information.

As for the score counter and lives counter, their placement kind of creates a frame for the game and makes the middle of the frame a focal point as a result due to the visual balance you have going on for each side of the screen. While that's nice and all, I don't think this kind of orientation works for this kind of game. In a fast paced precision platformer like sonic, you'll want as little distracting elements fighting for the player's attention as possible and you'll want the important information oriented in a way that the player can just glance at it once without much consequence. The way you have your HUD oriented at the moment requires the player to kind of "search" around the screen a little bit or basically they have to divert their attention away from the game more than once to find the information they want to see since its now divided up to the two opposite sides of the screen, meaning they're going to be spending more time looking at the HUD than they probably should be. This also makes it feel slightly cluttered and could be distracting given the situation. This kind of HUD would work well for an MMO, strategy, or simulation game where grouping similar player options to one side of a screen makes sense since it helps mentally divide up mechanics and information and feels more organized to the player, making it easier for them to manage various things.  I suggest moving them over to the left side of the screen with the time counter and ring counter. 

I think your counters suffer from the same visual problem that the Chaos Emerald bar did in that there seems to be this focus on visual flair and stylized graphics over functionality. I think each counter's independent graphic takes up a bit too much space and reaches a bit too much into the middle of the frame. Looking at how much screen space they take up I can see why you put the score and lives on the other side of the screen since they just wouldn't fit all together on one side in their current state. I suggest trimming the fat off of the graphics and streamlining the HUD even further. With a HUD the most important thing for it to do is to convey specific information efficiently and quickly without distracting from the main game, so put the flashy HUD graphics to a minimum.

As for the stylized look of the HUD graphics, they do look quiet cool and I think that they would work out very well if the game's resolution were bigger, but the screen resolution is just too small for HUD graphics that big. Sorry about the long critique, I hope I'm not coming off as overly critical.

Good progress on everything you've done so far though.

I think I understand what you mean, honestly I did not stop to think about it, I worried more about the details of the HUD than their positions on the screen. As I understand it then, I have two options:

-I reduce the size of HUDs or;
-Increase the resolution of the game.

Am I right?

When I started the topic I came across a similar situation, but with the sprites of Sonic hehe ...

Edit:

Untitled_4.png?1397091435

The image above is an example of what you told me?

Edited by Flasher the hedgehog
  • Like 2

Yes thats what I was getting at, something like that works much better than what you had going before. You can still have a little bit of visual flair in your hud if you want to help give your game its own identity, but I'd keep it minimalistic. 

• Like 1

Sorry for double post. D:

Edit:

I tried to make a mock-up of what will be the first stage. =P

Untitled_6.png?1397790538

Since you updated with something rather substantial relating to game dev progress it doesn't count as a double post so no worries. 

Also holy crup that looks awesome. Sonic actually fits really nicely into the sprite based background. This is actually reminding me of Sonic Rush now that I think about it, and thats pretty awesome. 

A few things you may want to get sorted before you make the final version for this to unify some of the visual elements. You've got two totally different palm trees going on there, which I'm sure you're aware of, but you'll want to have things like that look similar. 

Also nice HUD, I'm diggin that new boost bar.

Nice job on the mock up man, I hope the game actually looks this good in the final release.

• Like 1