A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The official SFGHQ E3 2013 discussion thread

That time of year is almost upon us. So we've got Nintendo showing off more Wii U stuffs, MS trying to redeem itself after such bad X1 news and publicity (which is futile at this point, based on the judgement of many so far), and Sony looking to wow even more fans with the PS4.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing stuff from both MS and Sony this year.

-FM5

-Watch Dogs

-ACIV

-Destiny (not a big FPS fan, but I'm curious to see what Bungie's doing with their new IP)

-The last bit of limit-pushing PS3 games (B:TS, GT6, etc)

What're you looking forward to this year?

P.S. Happy belated, ila!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll probably tune out the Nintendo stuff mostly aside from if they talk about Pokemon I guess. Smash Bros has mild interest from me as long as its more like Melee in terms of its feel I guess. Otherwise I'm not interested in their stuff at all.

But I am eager to see Sony's conference, and whatever games MS will reveal. Granted MS is kind of turning into a 'wait and see' approach for me lately, but I still want to see some Halo and Fable and whatever else is rumoured for them to have. But Sony and the PS4 and HOPEFULLY the Vita have my attention the most :)

In short, I'm expecting the classic Nintendo games announcements, and some good things out of Sony.

My interest in the Wii U will still be zero until more devs think of interesting games to make (goddamn it atlus what are you waiting for? Make Trauma Center U already). The main first-party titles aren't enough to warrant a buy.

The 3DS on the other hand is starting to get more interesting, and I've heard a remake/sequel title to the original Digimon World might appear soon. Tempting...

As for MS, I don't think they can be saved at this point. Maybe they should present the XBone along with TVs in the next CES and not E3.

- high hopes for the new Smash because Namco is on board. TTT2 had free characters, amazing netcode, 50+ characters with balanced gameplay, a huge customization system with zero DLC bullshit...seriously, Nintendo could NOT have picked a better company for this game. The only question now is how much they have to do with it overall. I'm hoping for a 64-to-Melee level gameplay overhaul, and hopefully 64-to-Melee level graphics leap as well. (a bit optimistic)

- I'm eager to see how embarrassing Square's presentation is going to be...I used to anticipate it than anything, I now just cover my face and pray it doesn't completely suck. This is pretty much their last chance to win any level of integrity back from the fans. My most anticipated game from them (sadly) is the FFX/X-2 HD collection. And from a company who used to shit out completely random IPs of classic gold...it's pretty sad.

-More nintendo anticipation because I want to see what Retro can accomplish using non-trash hardware. More metroid, please. I'd totally get a Wii-U for more Prime if Smash is good too. (so serious)

-M$ has talked itself into a chasm. DRM for games is completely understandable from the developer's perspective, but the online verification shit is just too much microsoft for my living room. M$ is going to have to pull another Halo-level IP out their ass for this console to not look like a joke. And I honestly don't think they have anyone capable of doing that anymore. (Bungie gone, Rare...yeah.)

- Sony is really the only team now that has multiple 3rd party developers that still consistently make good shit. I don't have anything specific im looking forward to, but for the first time in a long time, im just looking forward to seeing what they have to show.

For Square's presentation, they'll show that tech demo again. Then they'll call it a day.

As long as Sony's console doesn't implement Microsoft style bullshit DRM, I'll get it regardless of whether it costs 599 U.S. dollars or whatever.

Already gots me a Wii U. I don't regret the purchase although I do lament that horrendous lack of games right now. Obviously I'll be paying attention to SSB. I'm a little preoccupied right now between crunch time at work and trying to get the Worlds to C port going.

It does start to look like quite a low for Microsoft and the Xbox. I suppose it gives the PS side of the console war something to brag about, if nothing else. Still, I was always one for my PS3 - I pre-ordered(ish) my PS4 a few days ago - so I'll be ready to squeal like a mindless fan at every piece of PS4 news that can be leapt on.

- nintendo is in the perfect position to boost sales and hype with how lame the other system reveals have been. All they have to do is dump a metric shit ton of wii U games to the press and it's over. The wii u is suffering mainly because it's got such a tiny library, and if they can pull in the user base, the devs will follow.

- I'm interested in sony's presentation, they've gone up in quality a lot over the years and I hope they continue the upward trend.

- Square....good god, the only thing they can excite me with at this point is that GOD DAMN FF7 REMAKE /angryfist

- M$ is hilariously making the wrong moves and then trying to fix these moves, still the system is garbage so far.

- I can't wait to see what ubisoft has in store, I really enjoy the games ubi has put out over the years.

- Square....good god, the only thing they can excite me with at this point is that GOD DAMN FF7 REMAKE /angryfist

I'm not confident Square can pull of a remake of FF7 anymore. They'll never be able to capture the magic of the original. Even Square themselves has forgotten how Cloud and Aeris' characters actually are. The only thing I want to see out of Square is a Kingdom Hearts 3.

Also I want to see some footage of that new Plants vs Zombies game. Not PvZ2, but fighting one, Garden Warfare. If it's TF2 but with Plants vs Zombies then I am DOWN

I'm not confident Square can pull of a remake of FF7 anymore. They'll never be able to capture the magic of the original. Even Square themselves has forgotten how Cloud and Aeris' characters actually are.

I don't think people want an FF7 remake. They want Advent Children : The Game. And the terrifying thing is, nearly everything Square Enix has done post-advent children has been, in their own words, an attempt to recreate (to some degree) the fight scenes in that movie.

The over detailed characters and attempt to emulate Hollywood-tier cinematics is why Square Enix can't recreate FF7, not the game itself nor through a different entry. Square can't get away with "modernizing" the old Final Fantasy games. When you really get down to it, modern FF and the PSone FF are nothing alike.

Hell, modern JRPGs and oldschool JRPGs in general are nothing alike. It's probably why they all suck ass now.

Hmm, I haven't being paying as much attention to the current games this year but from what I've seen and heard of:

The Evil Within

Murdered: Soul Suspect

Sonic Lost World

Destiny

FF versus

Thief

Also, A new Persona, Doom 4 or Fallout 4 announcement would be nice. Hell even a Half Life announcement would bring me tears of joy.

I just heard Namco (and apparently Techmo with DOA) announced a Free-to-play version of Tekken, that launches this tuesday, what the fuck is going on

DOA apparently will be charging $4 per character, which would bring the price of the full roster up to like $100+.

Sad indeed... But you know, as long as I can play as a chick in P5 without getting a low-production-value handheld version of the game, I'll be happy. (I'm looking at you, P3P.)

Well, I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled in September... And teach myself enough grammar to have half a clue what's being said. Some new Kanji wouldn't hurt either.

Sad indeed... But you know, as long as I can play as a chick in P5 without getting a low-production-value handheld version of the game, I'll be happy. (I'm looking at you, P3P.)

Well, I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled in September... And teach myself enough grammar to have half a clue what's being said. Some new Kanji wouldn't hurt either.

low production value? P3P is considered the definitive P3 experience where ever I've checked. Sure they took out all the moving around on in the non tarterus sections (which is actually a god send, fuck moving around all those areas). You still get to move around just fine in Tarterus AND the combat system mirrors P4, especially with the fact that you can control your characters. Not to mention the fact that they added in an entire set of social links for the female main character....what was low production value about it??

low production value? P3P is considered the definitive P3 experience where ever I've checked. Sure they took out all the moving around on in the non tarterus sections (which is actually a god send, fuck moving around all those areas). You still get to move around just fine in Tarterus AND the combat system mirrors P4, especially with the fact that you can control your characters. Not to mention the fact that they added in an entire set of social links for the female main character....what was low production value about it??

Okay, so it wasn't that low, but the fact that they took a 3GB+ game, added things to it and crammed all that on one 1.4GB UMD... Some things just aren't what they were in the PS2 version, mostly from a visual standpoint, but the point is that it's noticeable. ...A~nd then there are times when the voice clips in Minako's story don't match up with what the dialogue box says.

Again, this is really just because they crammed it all into one UMD. Could have been on two, but it wasn't.

Uhhh...what?? Games going from the PS2 to the PSP from my experience have looked worse :o. Not to mention yeah, compressing down from 3gb to 1.4 if Tailsena is correct on that game (I wouldn't know) you would definitely lose a bit of quality, especially if you're adding in a load of other content into the mix too. The audio and the textures would get mighty compressed probably.

But VITA games look pretty amazing.

Uhhh...what?? Games going from the PS2 to the PSP from my experience have looked worse :o. Not to mention yeah, compressing down from 3gb to 1.4 if Tailsena is correct on that game (I wouldn't know) you would definitely lose a bit of quality, especially if you're adding in a load of other content into the mix too. The audio and the textures would get mighty compressed probably.

I believe they look worse due to the shitty resolution of the original PSP. Graphically, they're slightly more powerful than the PS2, especially the later PSP versions which had a 64Mb memory as opposed to the PS2's 32Mb, and the PSP had a 333Mhz CPU against the PS2's 300Mhz. It's not much of a difference but it's still a difference.

However, yeah. You can't fit as much content on to a UMD as you can to a DVD so the feature count would go down (unless your game structuring skills suddenly became God-like). But this wouldn't affect the graphics.

A last resort for porting to a smaller media format would be to decrease the model data for objects which would cause a loss in graphical quality but this would only appear in REALLY BIG games, which I assume is the case for P3 -> P3P but I've never played either of them so loliduno. This would be... rare though, since a change in the size of that data would be rather unnoticeable, unless you MASSIVELY decreased the polygon count.

But in the end, I still think PSP looks worse but as I said... this is a resolution problem, technically.

i was totallly trolling sena, im running out of ways to insult him. Nothing looks better on PSP.

I didn't watch anything at E3 really, but Metal Gear Solid V

Holy fuck.

Haha well...that trolling happens here so often towards him Sereph I can't even tell anymore when people are serious or just fucking around.

But yeah, MGS5 looks sick. I also liked the Microsoft conference, lots of games I am interested in playing were shown/teased. I don't think I'll get an Xbox One right off the bat, but a lot of the games shown like I said I really do want to play. If anything I might wait until its out for a bit for Halo to come out since the teaser for that really interested me too.

Square shows Versus XIII, looks amazing, it's actually FFXV But fuck it looks amazing

Square shows Kingdom Hearts III, they actually showed KH3, holy fuck its KH3

Face cracked wide open, okay square you can have my heart back

And yeah sony wins

I definitely have been enjoying Sony's conference most so far. I don't really care about 'who won' as I plan on getting an Xbox One as well (saw games I really liked on there) and even enjoyed EA and Ubisoft's conferences earlier and found a few games to like. But what I really like with Sony's is the indie embracing. I really REALLY dig that. The FFXV and KH3 stuff doesn't really appeal to me...i was actually hoping their tech demo with that girl was going to be a game they were making but I guess not :(

All in all I've been thoroughly pleased with this e3 and I am impressed with the graphical fidelity of some of these new next-gen games. Super pumped.