A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Chrono Adventure 1.1 - SAGE 2014

LakeFeperd

Damn that was epic. Just finished it. Curiously, the level I thought I'd hate the most turned out to be the one that I liked the most. When you posted up screenshots of that honeycomb level, I thought "oh great. Bee hive theme level. *sigh*". Turns out it wasn't what I expected AT ALL. My mind was blown by the reality of what it was.

Only things that annoyed me were that if you die, it resets the whole game and you have to go through the main menu to reload. I'd prefer it if it gave you the choice to reload or quit, upon death. And in the story, there were a few loose ends that annoyed me. Like the honeycomb level... everything that happened then kinda just got... forgotten. And Sonic's little friend who didn't seem to do much at the end (why the coughing?). There were some humorous spelling errors but they didn't annoy me. Just made me laugh (lol @ Akillies Heal instead of Achilles' Heel).

But the overall story was epic and the ending was kinda magical (also, the finale was epic. The ATS finale was a bit meh but you really kicked ass with this one!). Now I just gotta go back and collect everything I missed!

Already recommended it to all my retro gaming friends...

What can I say instead of "Awesome" ? The best game you ever made. And it's quite long actually. I had the same thoughs than ChaosLord, so it would be useless to write the same thing. But I also have some questions.

I found two emeralds on my first play. Are they related to an alternate ending ?
And a quite strange thing. How can Dr. Ucano know about what happened on Angel Island ? There is something strange about this guy. Could this also be related to an alternate ending ?

The game and story and everything lol was epic. I think there may be more to it though, maybe a sequel or soming, idk lol. I really enjoyed how it linked with the b/ats stories. 

Any ideas for a next game lake :P

The dark sonic battle was sooooooooooo epic. Also the fact the top of the city itself attacked you, really good ideas. I know this sounds silly, but i really liked the final zones name. Nice and simple and basically is what it is. Idk why, it feels like after going so far from sonics roots, you go straight back with that zone name

I seem to be lost in the amusement park.

D: Had to step away because I was getting frustrated; hope to figure it out later with a fresh perspective. :)

I love that there's so much going on in this game. It really is fun. :)

I feel as if I sequence broke.. I'm scared.

WARNING! This INDEED contains level and/or story spoilers!

After dieing to the Sky Chase esque boss, I decided to explore for more awesome stuff. Ended up getting lost in some Angel Coast Zone. Found boxing gloves! Sweet. Then I Silver Ring farmed in.. um. Well yeah. Then I explored up until I ended in Polem Palace! O_o then I was confused. Now I'm helping a polem make a potion to stop the carnivous ways. (the surface ones) So did I sequence skip? And how do I get back on the beaten path?

I don't think that boss is even necessary to beat the game, but the progression in Polem city is key to getting through the game. Also, Lake, you know the save state you posted up there? Can we still go back and retrieve the Chaos Emeralds with it? I remember there being one after beating Eggmyte but I never went back to that room so I don't know if it's sealed off.

Light has officially passed out from exhaustion!

Before Night, night time. How do I get to the top of the map. I've been trugging through the same four or five zones for hours >_>

Image in attachtment. Imageshack is tired like I.

I've been through:

Angel Terminal, Wave Forest (?), Old Winter.. I can't remember lol. Short term memory much.

post-340-0-66957300-1387346776_thumb.png

I think I went through Groove Glow zone to get there. Go to new castle and go right? oh man I did the same thing the past two hours... wait are you trying to do this in the past or present? Angel Terminal is a present level; leaf land is a past level. Leaf land is definitely after Groove Glow, which I think might be near Misty Maze...maaaybe.

Edited by LoneFX

Firstly, I'll definitely say that it's quite an excellent game, it's got a fantastic atmosphere, great soundtrack, and it's enjoyable when mainly going from A to B like normal Sonic games. However, I do have my issues with it, especially with the way the more open exploration setup is designed.

* Moving around while attacking with the sword feels incredibly stiff, after being used to the tight, fluid movement of Freedom Planet, it just feels jarring.

* The 'Metroidvanic' part of the game doesn't feel so well-designed, backtracking feels like a major chore and there's no indicator of whether you're missing any collectibles in a specific area or not. It's certainly curbed my enthusiasm for collecting stuff. Also, the actual level design suffers from the same problem as Sonic CD in which it doesn't feel very conductive for exploring for hidden stuff.

* Some mechanics can be slightly obtuse, such as bouncing on two of those 'energy sphere' bouncy things to launch you even higher.

* The last power-up feels kinda useless aside from taking out its particular obstacle and the bonus boss.

How do I get to the top of the map. I've been trugging through the same four or five zones for hours >_>

If you're at the bit I think you are, you have to be in the Past and you have to approach it from the left. Go to the left half of Wild Winter ('cause it's split in to two halves if you recall), and on the far left where you can go to the next level, you can go UP too. Go up there and you'll go through er... Tube Trial West, I believe. That should take you up there to 'Leaf Land'.

(I also got stuck here, lawl.)

I have a feeling you can go through Groove Glow and then Misty Maze. I think to the far left of Misty Maze is a rock you can break which leads to some springs which propel you to the top. I forget if there's two directions or not but one should lead to Leaf Land (which is where you're headed). I didn't take this approach at the time because I didn't know about it.

Also, anyone found any more emeralds? I found the ones in West City, the Water place in the South West (I forget the name) and the one on the opposite side of the map in the South East (also forgot the name of that...), all in the Present. 4 to find, any ideas?

Edit: Just got another one... in a way I didn't expect. Angel Terminal... that was interesting.

Edit 2: ...and Foliage Falls East. Guessing one is going to work like the Angel Terminal one did. Dunno about the last one.

Edit 3: aaand Power Plant Core...

Edited by ChaosLord

There is one in Sky Speedway Zone Present. It is in the announcement trailer about 1 minute in.

Ah, so it was! Somehow missed it. Curiously, I found another speed boost power up thing even though I've already maxed it out BUT no sword power up (even though I'm missing one)... Oh well, I'm one sword power up away from 100%!

Also, the emeralds don't seem to bring about a different ending. Unless I need that last sword power up too but I doubt that.

Ah well.

Edited by ChaosLord

I must suck at open-world games cause' I'm lost again.

nkfj.png

(That's not too much of a spoiler)

So here's the story:

From Angel Terminal Zone, I found myself heading up and up and up some more until I found the extra boss, after being happy I found something, I realized, "Oh this is that extra boss Alex was talking about. Then I headed left until meeting.. I believe New City Zone? Went backwards back into Wild Winter I believe. Then saw ChaosLord's post. Followed directions into the picture you see above. Don't ask how I got here, because I don't know myself. Wild Trip it was. Sorry for being a bugger also, I just can't help but get lost :(

I have to say that after receiving the last power-up, I feel like I'm closer to the end (don't tell me I'm not if I'm not closer). However, I do have some criticism about the bumper boxing gloves. The concept itself was very well thought (I have not seen no one on the internet done something like that) but the attack button is something I do not like. By that I mean, the charge. I think you could press X to punch and hold it to charge (somewhat how they do that in the Mega Man games). To me the attack button just feels heavy to me. 

Other than that I am enjoying this game and also inspires me for ideas in the future! Rock on Lake!

@LightTheHedgehog

Have you tried asking the bug (forgot her name so easily)? If you can tell me what she says or asks, I might be able to help you.

Edited by MetalSonic302

Kay' never mind. Thanks ChaosLord I finally figured out not to fight the levels, lol. 

EDIT: Yep got to Gerem! Thanks again.

@MetalSonic302 Yeah the boxing power-up was awesome in concept but like the sword I thought should have been combos. That would gain an extra move every time you level it up. But what can you say, I still like it.

EDIT2: Well could you make a level-guide? Like from Wild Winter to here? I know it's pretty clear in-game but from time to time I get confused and lost. I find this to happen because were looking from the side, so landmarks, if any don't stick out- wait.. I don't think these type of games have landmarks do they? Well meh, either way it can be a bit frustrating. 

By the way, I'll start my little mini-review now. 

Sonic Chrono Adventure is really, really fun! The design, music, and graphics are all beautifully crafted. The level design also is something to love, while as it may already appear by what I said earlier that it is confusing it only seems to be in the later half. They all are very exploitative, while still keeping platforming and speed! The aesthetics, even though rehashed in areas, are beautiful. Even though they are re-used you almost wouldn't know it, hah I didn't until recently. The gameplay is very unique while still being, well Sonic. It strays so far, yet stays so close to what he's about. All of the weapons/upgrades have a very well thought-out purpose that doesn't necessarily force you to use them yet let you craft your own way.. well let me retract that statement. Some of them. Since it's more of a exploration based game it's fine that you must switch between weapons but at the same time, you wish some you could substitute some qualities of others. Example the sword, I wish you could boost or punch your way into the glass, but that might just be me. The story (so far) is also something to adore, I love the little bug and think that it's very intriguing and gets you into the game, almost like your Sonic, something that official Sonic games haven't done in awhile. Superb overall! So any game that makes me want to review it or spend more than one day on is worth playing! It's too great to pass up. Thanks Lake, for all your hard work and great job!

(My gawsh I really typed that whole thing.. I though about deleting it. but thats alot of typing to waste so enjoy! >:}) 

Edited by LightTheHedgehogInSnowZone

Kay' never mind. Thanks ChaosLord I finally figured out not to fight the levels, lol. 

EDIT: Yep got to Gerem! Thanks again.

@MetalSonic302 Yeah the boxing power-up was awesome in concept but like the sword I thought should have been combos. That would gain an extra move every time you level it up. But what can you say, I still like it.

Ha, no problem! <3

Also, for those wondering about collecting all the stuffs:

Obtained all emeralds, all sword and boost power ups (so everything). No different ending... Still, it's cool to have 100%'d it! Yay! Epic game is epic.