A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Project DragonBlossom [WIP]

Ark-E

@Shinbaloonba: Look, I'm trying to do my best on spriting, okay? I'm relevantly still inexperienced to doing custom sprites since I've recently started back in 2008 and for people to criticize on them and I dunno, visually not help me, it's not making my job any better, isn't it? N-O as in NO.

Sorry if I sound like ranty and complaining, but it's been generally very stressing on me as of recent with juggling two projects with one of which that I severely lack a team in and have little to no money to work with on commissions and all that stuff.

@Infinity_Alex: Sure. However, we still need a stage and a character to be completed as well as a person who can help with fixing up Sonic Worlds engine.

I'll help you when this (school) term is done, alright? Still got a few months to go though.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TailSena: ...really? Well, um, thank you. Yes, thank you very much.. ^_^
@DaHog: Well, there's the Spriters (Characters, Items, Enemies and BG), Level Design, Scenario and SFX Design are open, but VAs, Beta Testers and Programmers will come in later.

I could help out with Scenario now, but I can't do Spritework and stuff until I have more free time.

(Scenario would be best done in PM's or some order of private chat, like Skype.)

You're overreacting.

I just gave you a few tips on what to improve,and corrected your wrong idea of a 32bit sprite.

That's all I did.

The second part of your post aimed at me is completely irrelevant to everything I said,so chill out.Take my crit or don't,it's your choice,just don't act like I bashed your work,the way you're reacting to critscism is pretty immature.

If you wanted a more visual example,why not ask?

The consensus, or at least what I've grown accustomed to hearing, is that a sprite should maintain a 15 color bit limit. For quite a long time I was guilty of breaking that code. Take some time in your day to sit down and see what colors closely match each other and you'll be trimming down the pallet like nothing!

The most important thing about taking critique is keeping a level head, and being open to something that will through you off. If you don't think you'll like the change, try it anyways. You might just like it.

@Shin: Sorry, I have been so stressed out as of recent I couldn't think right back there and I overreacted. I'm sorry, but it happens at times.

@TailSena: I have a Skype. I could add you as a contact.

@LiBi: I'll keep that in mind for future reference. Thank you.

@Shinbaloonba: Look, I'm trying to do my best on spriting, okay? I'm relevantly still inexperienced to doing custom sprites since I've recently started back in 2008 and for people to criticize on them and I dunno, visually not help me, it's not making my job any better, isn't it? N-O as in NO.

Sorry if I sound like ranty and complaining, but it's been generally very stressing on me as of recent with juggling two projects with one of which that I severely lack a team in and have little to no money to work with on commissions and all that stuff.

@Infinity_Alex: Sure. However, we still need a stage and a character to be completed as well as a person who can help with fixing up Sonic Worlds engine.

If you're worried about getting this game finished, and do not feel confident about spriting, then you should concentrate more on the function of the sprites than the appearance.

Words of advice:

The smaller a sprite is, the more its quality relies on clever use of color than just shapes and outlines. Contrast plays a prominent role in that. This becomes more and more significant during the animation process, especially with smaller sprites. Things blurring together and lacking depth or definition at a distance are a consequence of bad contrast. A good way to gauge this is to take your color shades and put them side by side in increasing value (brightness), and then zooming out to Actual Size. If you have too hard a time telling one shade from the next, then you need to diversify them. If the transitions feel too sharp and unrealistic next to eachother, the contrast is probably too great.

An increase in the number of colors allow you to add more shades. More shades = more detail and depth. You said your sprite has 31 colors, but you could have fooled me if you said it had 10. Details are invisible when we aren't zoomed in, and even still after. And by comparison:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1620&stc=1&d=1366088790

This here Metal Slug sprite uses only 13 colors.

This concept is alot deeper than it sounds, and takes alot of experience to even begin to get right. It's integral concept when it comes to dealing with any sort of color. I struggle with it everytime I draw anything, so I know how frustrating it can be. And the killer is, the more detail you attempt to add with a weak grasping of this concept, the easier the flaws will be to spot.

So in a nutshell. My advice is, if you're gonna do these yourself, stick to a simple style and work from there. Every extra color you add only makes the sprite that much harder to manage.

post-143-138639765381_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP!

Okay, I know it's been quiet, but working on an update's not easy after all. XP

I'll drop you guys a little something I'm experimenting on with the name cards.

2qnbqfl.png

What do you guys think? Oh and one more thing, I'm working on the level situation. I have got some tiles going and such, so yeah, expect that soon.

Wow that looks pretty cool. Something you need to keep in mind though is that while you can make the text themed differently for each level, there still needs to be some degree of unity in them. Something like what font you are using or something like that needs to be consistant, but its looking great so far.

• 2 months later...

Okay, it's a bit of my fault for not updating in a while, but here is what is going on:

-Rusty left the team because of real life issues (which is a darn shame because he was going to help me with redesigning the characters to point to an E10+ - Teen related game)

- Since Rusty left, I need a new enemy designer that will help out.

- And yet, more spriters are needed!

-I'm a bit nervous to do a Kickstarter because well, obvious reasons, but I desperately need the money to get this project rolling.

What exactly do you mean by "redesigning the characters to look E10+"?

Also,I know I barely ever post here on SFGHQ,and when I do,I'm usually kind of a dick,but I think I at least usually have a point.

And my point this time is,don't even bother with the kickstart,it'll be a waste of time.

I honestly don't even know why you already need money in the first place,as you barely even got anything complete on your own.All I see is art,and sprites,some commissioned,even.But there's no gameplay footage or anything of the like,so I don't see why people would lend money on a supposed game project that's only got a few artwork backing it up as of now.

Besides,if you got the money,what would you do with it?Commision more art?

You need to set your priorities straight.There are many successful indie games made with little or no budget at all,and this very forum is full of examples.Successful kickstarters like FP already had fully playable demos and a good reputation before asking for money.

You only got (commissioned) artwork,and a bit of info.I don't think people will throw money at you just because you got a cute little character.