A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Street Fighter X Megaman!

OverbounD

For those are you who are Megaman fans good news. Capcom is releasing a free Megaman game online: Street Fighter X Megaman!

At first I thought it was to be a brawler but after looking at the trailer it appears to be a more traditional 8-bit Megaman game with Street Fighter bosses instead of robots. Seems pretty cool especially given the lack of support for Megaman as of late. You can checkout the trailer below.

It's out http://static.capcom.com/sfxmm/SFxMM_US.zip

That's definitely a fangame. I'm guessing that, instead of cancelling it, Capcom paid the author so they could announce this officially. And of course, the thought of Street Fighter and Megaman in one game plays off their anniversaries nicely so it'll get attention from both sides. Kind of a publicity stunt, if you ask me.

But on that note, wow, I'm surprised by the selection of bosses. Rose and Rolento are nice additions, but Urien? Didn't see HIM coming. And considering the lasers in [1:02], I'm guessing it'll be Viper or Juri for the SF4 character. I'll definitely take this roster over yet more SF2.

The fact that this is a Megaman game and fangame makes me happy. I'm still angry that capcom refuses to waste time on Megaman anymore. I thought Megaman 9 was absolutely amazing.

And it being a fangame kind of changes this, but I am sick and tired of Capcom slapping street fighter on everything these days.

I agree. A few years ago, they were constantly pumping out Megaman games. But that was better since they were at least different games. Now with this mass of Street Fighter things are getting repetitive again and as long as it sells, Capcom has no reason to stop.

The article explained this game well enough, but I guess it won't take long to explore it anyway. The author has a video with

in action, too.

Capcom has to go to fans to make something for their flagship franchise, sign that they're worthless?: news at 11

I'm so fucking tired of retro bullshit it's not even funny. if you're gonna do stuff with pixel art, atleast try to make it with the full extent of it's capability, not EVEN MORE 8-BIT GRAFX

I liked Megaman 10 better myself, but 9 definitely felt more alive. Retro is pretty much what classic Megaman runs on anyway, they might as well play to its strengths.

But it's true, this isn't redeeming Capcom one bit. They'd have to do way more than that, and even then the damage is done. Megaman won't be the same without Inafune, though I suppose they enjoyed screwing up his plans anyway.

The fact that it's a fangame doesn't bother me at all... Especially since it's so convincing!

I agree with the world on one thing though... Capcom, shut up and make us some new, GOOD Megaman games! Don't wanna? Too. Fucking. Bad. Guess what? It'll sell better than any SF game, that's for sure.

//Still super pissed about Legends 3.

Does anybody know WHY Capcom decided to abandon Megaman? It's not like Inahune took the rights with him when he left... Right?

The execs hate inafune because he constantly pushed them to evolve. It was working in their favor, but it was completely against the business practices they had followed since the very foundation of the company. in short, he kept pushing and they eventually pushed back, regardless of the fact he was in the right.

The execs hate inafune because he constantly pushed them to evolve. It was working in their favor, but it was completely against the business practices they had followed since the very foundation of the company. in short, he kept pushing and they eventually pushed back, regardless of the fact he was in the right.

Hmph. Executive Meddling at it's finest, huh?

I take it none of said execs will even hear the ongoing criticisms from, oh... Everyone around them?

If they're so dead-set on making money above all else, you'd think they'd make the games that people actually want to buy, the stuff we the people want from them...

//sigh...

I guess I'm using too much logic here, aren't I?

I take it none of said execs will even hear the ongoing criticisms from, oh... Everyone around them?

If they're so dead-set on making money above all else, you'd think they'd make the games that people actually want to buy, the stuff we the people want from them...

Developing games only to the niche market is pretty risky if you want to stay afloat in the industry. Casual audience is where the money is now.

that's not really their issue. their business model is explicitly about sequels and NEVER make any new franchises. if one is brought to the table, a development version will be made with a tiny amount of money and will be canned shortly canned later. Inafune challenged this by having 2 projects (Dead Rising and Lost Planet) go wayyy over that budget in a very quick amount of time, having nearly half the games done by the point the execs took notice. he took a rather extreme gamble and succeeded far beyond anyone's expectation, but the execs still hated him and wanted him to just stay out of their model.

Developing games only to the niche market is pretty risky if you want to stay afloat in the industry. Casual audience is where the money is now.

The sad thing about their "logic" is that they don't listen BECAUSE they think they're giving people what they want. Bringing back popular characters in their games is one thing, but they forget about their sources in their process. And when they listen to criticism, they try to monetize it at the expense of other aspects.

Their business model is explicitly about sequels and NEVER make any new franchises. Inafune challenged this by having 2 projects (Dead Rising and Lost Planet) go wayyy over that budget in a very quick amount of time, having nearly half the games done by the point the execs took notice. He took a rather extreme gamble and succeeded far beyond anyone's expectation, but the execs still hated him and wanted him to just stay out of their model.

They hated him even earlier than that, going by how much they meddled with the Megaman series. From making X6 without his consent to canceling Universe, Capcom really hasn't let Inafune get his way with the series he helped create. Maybe he took the gamble so they wouldn't stop him this time.

In any case, for anyone still interested in Street Fighter x Megaman, here's some more info on

. It's got a few surprises, too.

that's not really their issue. their business model is explicitly about sequels and NEVER make any new franchises. if one is brought to the table, a development version will be made with a tiny amount of money and will be canned shortly canned later. Inafune challenged this by having 2 projects (Dead Rising and Lost Planet) go wayyy over that budget in a very quick amount of time, having nearly half the games done by the point the execs took notice. he took a rather extreme gamble and succeeded far beyond anyone's expectation, but the execs still hated him and wanted him to just stay out of their model.

i.e. don't expect anything out of Capcom that you wouldn't already expect.

That means no more Resident Evil 4's or decent fighting games. And it certanly means i can hang up the notion of a new Breath of Fire.

They'd just attempt to be more "STORY DRIVEN" and "CINEMATIC" to try and "ADD MORE DEPTH TO (whomever)" and severely fuck it up anyway.

I can't wait for Namco to finish whatever they're gonna do with Tekken x Street Fighter and embarass the fuck out of capcom