A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Street Fighter X Megaman!

OverbounD

i.e. don't expect anything out of Capcom that you wouldn't already expect.

That means no more Resident Evil 4's or decent fighting games. And it certanly means i can hang up the notion of a new Breath of Fire.

They'd just attempt to be more "STORY DRIVEN" and "CINEMATIC" to try and "ADD MORE DEPTH TO (whomever)" and severely fuck it up anyway.

I can't wait for Namco to finish whatever they're gonna do with Tekken x Street Fighter and embarass the fuck out of capcom

And is it just me or is their fourth game in a given series usually the last good one?

I'd say Namco already embarrassed Capcom with Project X Zone. While Capcom neglects Megaman X and Legends, Namco makes them work

I wish Capcom would chill about the cinematics too. I know I liked Street Fighter better before supers with overly long animations took over, or Resident Evil 5 when it wasn't trying too hard to impress. Then again, plenty of games could sell on their graphics alone years ago and Capcom's all about money these days.

Dude, just watched the whole trailer for that game. (Finally. I deemed it too long when it first came out.)

Oh my god... SHINING FORCE?! In my fighter?! HOLY. SHIT.

EDIT: Though I gotta' say... The fact that they went out of their way to sprite fucking jiggle physics is a more than a little disturbing. I really hope there's an option to turn that off.

Project X Zone is the latest in a series and yes, the jiggling is part of their tradition. Since Namco x Capcom they snuck the effect here and there, but by the time they made Endless Frontier they embraced sex jokes and such.

In fact, Project X Zone is toned down from Endless Frontier. I suppose it makes sense for characters like Morrigan, but every other girl in the cast rolls with that. I admit, it disturbs me too.

The artists certainly drew themselves into that corner for pushing the behavior in Endless Frontier. It's like they had to keep going with Project X Zone, or assumed fans would be disappointed if they tried to be subtle in a crazy crossover.

It's not just their battle animations either. Some of the portraits have different angles (that's what they did with Tron) and the openings tend to favor the girls. The whole deal looks perverted and yet, nobody minds because it's so common these days. Kinda like other attention-grabbing schemes, really.

Not gonna' lie, I wouldn't mind quite so much if they spread the love a bit and pulled some of that crap with the guys... Eeeespecially characters like X and Batsu.

To be fair though, that's harder to pull of, and there would be zero subtlety... Since the only way to do that would be to remove clothing. At least the ladies kept it all on.

Well, Bahn (the guy from Fighting Vipers) and Arthur lose their armors as part of their attacks and Jin still doesn't know what a shirt is. But then some of the ladies in Endless Frontier had that too and that tradition carried on as well.

Simply put, it's a biased series. Most people seem to like it that way, or gave up arguing it because every other game did that sort of thing already. Some of the sources were already biased so they're simply rolling with it and chances are the staff assumed people would just enjoy the game based on its coolness and ignore the flaws. I don't like that kind of mindset.

But getting back on topic, Street Fighter x Megaman is out now! Some impressions:

- No passwords, bolts or shop system. You just jump right into the action and so must take it on in one sitting. Just like the original Street Fighter 2.

- Even if it's got 8-bit graphics, the game has some slowdown in some areas. Blanka's stage can get pretty annoying for that matter.

- The charge shot is more useful now, thanks to a few enemies that will soak up many regular shots but die to one charge. It's not raw damage at work, so perhaps this is a hidden property or something.

- Sadly, the ultra gauge for bosses might be a bit too crazy. Blanka used his ultra about 4 times in one fight! I hope you like zoom-ins because they'll get old fast.

- Viper's stage is themed around lasers, even though that was only a throwaway move she got in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Wish the elevators weren't random, either.

- Blanka's weapon, Tropical Hazard, is stupidly good. It helps you to jump higher, does decent damage for a slow weapon and you can even aim it a bit. It's definitely worth getting this one early.

More to come, of course.

Press F2 in the weapon screen. It tells you other options if you wait there.

Also, more impressions of the game as a whole:

- E-Tanks DON'T respawn, ever. What you see is all you get.

- You CAN'T revisit cleared stages. Not like you need to, due to the lack of bolts.

- Rose's stage starts off with a Rush Jet section like the ones from Megaman 8.

- There's a missing space in the weapons screen. Could this be a hidden weapon, or did they simply run out of ideas?

- No actual Rush support (aside from Rose's stage). That means no Coil or anything like that. The closest thing is the Tropical Hazard so it's best to get that soon.

- Urien's stage features fences, so you can actually climb diagonally in this game. Foreshadowing?

- Rose's weapon, Soul Satellite, shows an advantage of the engine: you can swap weapons without losing the barrier.

- The game lets you know when you score a Perfect against a boss, like in Street Fighter. But it doesn't count if you don't have full health before the fight starts.

- Bottomless pits and spikes are surprisingly uncommon for a fan game!

Just wait until you get to the fortress stages.