A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The lack of use for higher Language Arts classes...

TailsSena

And then you get to Calculus and you all learn just how wrong everything you guys just said actually is. Real math problems are nothing more than puzzles to be solved by using rules that you know how to derive from simpler rules.

My issue was that most of my math teachers didn't bother trying to teach why you use certain formulae, or why a certain equation ends up the way it does. They just teach when and how.

Compared to, oh say chemistry or physics or something, where you apply "x does this because y makes z do blahblahblah", you get into a math class and they go "well this is whatever formula, write this down and write this down, study it solve 20 problems with it check your work and come back tomorrow and i'll teach you another one."

And then they hand the class a word problem and they're all "you didn't teach this shit"

They teach you, but they dont teach you. You'll pass a class and forget the shit by the end of the summer. That's how it was with me, in my schools, anyway. And apparently everywhere else too, the US blows in math

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much, yeah. I used to love math, back in Algebra. It was all easy, and some of it could be applied to at least something.

Science is always applicable to almost everything, which is what makes it so great, so thrilling to learn. It also helps that, unlike Math teachers, Science teachers tend to be absolutely batty. So much fun when your teacher is the good kind of "fucking insane."

Pretty much, yeah. I used to love math, back in Algebra. It was all easy, and some of it could be applied to at least something.

Science is always applicable to almost everything, which is what makes it so great, so thrilling to learn. It also helps that, unlike Math teachers, Science teachers tend to be absolutely batty. So much fun when your teacher is the good kind of "fucking insane."

heh look at this fuckin nerd over here

Calculators? I don't think any of my teachers realized I was playing Phoenix, Falldown, ZTetris, Cowquest, FTunnel, and Puzzpack throughout most of High School.

I think I had the basics down by second grade, as I started learning things instantly and would get ahead of the class and do my own thing. I suppose I was lucky I had such excellent teachers...or I would have lost interest in school altogether....that and getting good grades meant going to Sega City.

As for this topic...yes the school system makes no sense. How can it, when you can't generalize for all types of kids? I don't even know how to respond though. Just wanted to brag about how awesome my education was til I decided to quit college five times.

once was enough for me. I don't feel the need to pay stupid amounts of money for the same shit i did for 12 years beforehand.

although ill probably change my mind once i realize how pathetic my skills are and how little money there is in pursuing indie game development

then again probably not; fuck school

England fag here.

My school has introduced this new class called like Personal Social something or other. You don't get a grade or anything out of it all you get is a certificate which means bollocks all to future employers. They introduced it basically so stupid people (and there are so many) at least get one qualification; If you can even call it that.

All the class is, is patronising common sense that everyone already knows. It complete sends the wrong signals. We did a whole lesson on why we should look up at celebrities and famous people because of how successful they are. And naturally when we had to think of famous people that we admire I just wrote down serial killers. Other lessons consist of almost elementary school tasks. We had to choose people to save from a burning building purely from how they look and after we were told their bios. Obviously the guy who looked like Bin Laden with scars all over his face had the cure for cancer in his pocket (I wish I was overexaggerating) and the really pretty girl is a serial killer.

Now this wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't being took out of my ICT class for it. When I'd finished 3/4 of the course. 4 years of work for a qualification (which is important these days) that I am now not going to get.

Wooo.

We did a whole lesson on why we should look up at celebrities and famous people because of how successful they are.

What. And I thought the education system here sucked. Well, it does (it's outdated as fuck) but at least we don't have that kind of "knowledge" being taught around.

And there was a lesson purely devised for games like simon says and then this proper chavvy (you call them white trash in america?) guy came in and called us "champiooooons" then said that if a guy with no legs can live his life to the fullest why can't we achieve our dreams.

It's not so much my countries education system it's the people running our school. But I'd need to write a book to go into them.

Well, well, well... Sounds like Global Education Reform might be a nice idea... If it sucks even more in England, where I always thought people cared...

Heh, I always thought of England and Britain as these two countries full of Gentlemen and refined Ladies... The Education System (as you describe it) is swiftly prooving me wrong.

ok welll i knew exactly where it came from, I just wanted him to explain himself for using it outside of 4chan

nobody should willingly acknowledge being apart of 4chan culture, if i didn't know that they loved to place 'fag' after everything then i would have expected some sort of odd self deprecation

and then i heard somewhere 'fag' means something entirely different over there so im just all messed up