A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The lack of use for higher Language Arts classes...

TailsSena

If we're talking about pointless subjects, why the fuck do schools still teach Health class? You're going to take us out of a class where we exercise, to put us in a class to tell us that we need to exercise? Logic at it's finest my friends.

not sure what country you're in but us americans are really fucking fat and a health class is a good idea

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to seem rude, but not everyone appreciates the corrective attitude. It's good to know how to write, but hopefully this was just an example. I wouldn't want to think you are one of those grammar nazis.

TailsSena started a rant thread about how he had learned everything about the English language by 8th grade and high school language arts classes were 8th grade English classes ad nauseam. However, in his rant on how he has perfected his mastery of the English language three years ago, and high school was wasting his time with silly bullshit, he failed to even come close to being correct. You don't see the irony there?

I know it's just an internet forum--this shit is serious business--but this is a thread about English language and grammar classes!

Like I said earlier, I was just taking things too seriously. I've calmed down since and, well, I see what you mean now. Maybe in this case, "perfecting" doesn't mean learning something 100%. If it really is just a rant thread, then maybe he already had enough of english and found it annoying that school would continue to teach him something he doesn't want to learn any more about.

Examples like yours show there's definitely more to english than what he knows, though. And hey, if someone's qualified to talk about it formally, it's you. But maybe TailsSena doesn't care as much or the irony flew over his head. I know I missed it the first time (really not good at catching this sort of thing), so I'm sorry about what I said.

TailsSena started a rant thread about how he had learned everything about the English language by 8th grade and high school language arts classes were 8th grade English classes ad nauseam. However, in his rant on how he has perfected his mastery of the English language three years ago, and high school was wasting his time with silly bullshit, he failed to even come close to being correct. You don't see the irony there?

I know it's just an internet forum--this shit is serious business--but this is a thread about English language and grammar classes!

I apologize that my point wasn't abundantly clear to everyone who read it.

I never said I had 100% mastered the English Language. My point was "I know English- certainly well enough to communicate- you guys (the School System) can stop forcing review down my throat."

College in general is kind of a joke. Education in the form of memorization definitions and whatnot is a joke.

I feel as if I've learned more how to effectively communicate arguments through my interactions on the internet than anything I learned in a classroom.

There are a lot of intelligent people on here.

EDIT: But if you want to get anywhere, you have to get a "gold star" from the education system.

I'm pretty sure in my college career I've had to read through essays and peer-reviewed studies and write a "report" based on them. Then in the Army, I've read through field manuals and regulations, and had to write memorandums to tell people they absolutely can't do something they "know" they can.

True, it may not have been a "book report," but it's the same basic skill: extracting written information, analyzing it, and arguing a thesis.

It sounds like you learned that book reports are "summaries" in middle school and high school. Trust me, learning to read texts, interpret data, and draw conclusions (all things you do with a book report) will serve you in the adult world.

Also, your quote should read, "Even then, all I learned was what a clause was[omit this comma] and how to write a book report [seriously, we're not speaking German. You do not need to capitalize every noun you come across], which are two skills you'll almost never need to employ ever [superfluous?] again. [citation needed]"

Dear god, I hate you.

not sure what country you're in but us americans are really fucking fat and a health class is a good idea

and then pizza cheese fries chicken nuggets hamburgers and ice cream sandwiches, washed down with a carton of chocolate milk

or you could just spend an extra $1 and buy some bottled water

Yeah, it's kinda dumb that what we're supposed to eat costs more than what could very well kill us.

this is dumb. if you put in a little bit of effort you can afford healthy food that will last a week that you can prepare yourself that will cost you less money than something something from the dollar menu at fattytown taco emporioum every day.

This is something i learned in college, definitely. The cost of making your own food and eating healthy only looks more expensive because you're expecting your healthy food to come in a microwavable package.

I find it hypocritical that schools try to promote health but then feed kids bullshit. But Duckboy has a very valid point -- nobody is stopping kids from bringing their own lunch to school. The point is, deep down inside, you just don't want to.

Yeah, it's kinda dumb that what we're supposed to eat costs more than what could very well kill us.

From what I understand, the junk food is cheap to make, so it's sold cheaply. That puts it in range of more customers, thus they're more likely for them to buy. And THAT encourages the companies to keep making the cheap food, so it's kind of a vicious cycle.

By contrast, real food takes time to prepare, spoils over time even at the store, and it's expensive to replace all of that. They need the high prices to compensate, but of course not everyone can afford that all the time. And, well, people are lazy too.

That's right, there are a lot of benefits to cooking and it doesn't take as much effort once you get into it. Proper shopping can be overwhelming at first too, but it pays to plan it out in advance, over a week or two, so that what seems like a hefty investment saves more money in the long run.

Of course, you'd think they would teach this sort of thing in school, pointers that most people can apply. I remember a chemistry teacher who admitted that the real knowledge is the one you can apply to life, not flowchart stuff most students are gonna ignore once they get out of there.

i think the only kinds of people who need to flowchart their learning are mathematicians, since they'll be working with dumbfuck numbers and would benefit from knowing things by heart. unfortunately math is the one subject that makes absolutely no sense when you try to teach it like geography key terms

for everything else we've got squiggly red lines, google wikipedia and forum boards

Wow, that's way too right. Math needs to be delivered as raw as possible, with strong fundamentals. Key terms mean nothing if you're not shown how to use them, and that's something a lot of teachers miss. They need less definitions and more examples. There is only one solution to any given equation, but math is all about giving you the tools to reach that answer.

Yeah, the best way to learn operations is to just do them yourself, but not everyone has that kind of time or interest so calculators are great for that. It's usually better to use them for simple operations with big numbers, though. The advanced stuff usually demands thick, unintuitive calculators that are a pain to even learn about. Personally, I decided to go raw with multiplications and that worked out better.

And then you get to Calculus and you all learn just how wrong everything you guys just said actually is. Real math problems are nothing more than puzzles to be solved by using rules that you know how to derive from simpler rules.

This. Oh god, I hate it. For example (straight from my UW Textbook).

6.3: Solve each of the following equations for x.

(a) g(x) = 17, where g(x) = |3x + 5|

(B) f(x) = 1.5, where

f(x) = { 2x if x < 3

{ 4 - x if x >/= 3

© h(x) = -1, where

h(x) = { -8 - 4x if x</= -2

{ 1 + (1/3)x if x > -2

That problem took forever, and that's not even the worst this Textbook has to offer.

(Protip, it helps to graph it.)

EDIT: Actually, this one wasn't that hard.