A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Salom Adventure Demo 1.0

Nefault1st

A 2D Sonic fan game created in Game Maker 8. BUT instead of Sonic being the protagonist of the game, a different character named Salom the Hedgehog a fan character created by me is the protagonist, who is a counterpart of Sonic from the South. Salom Adventure is action/adventure game that contains an epic storyline, adventurous levels, several bosses, and much more. There are 3 main playable characters (1 for demo 1.0) (4 for demo 2.0) that will have different courses in each of the 7 stages. After each stage is complete, you will be sent to the HUB area where you will be able to meet many civilians of the island and buy upgrades from the gift shop. The game is created with the Sol Engine which was originated from the Sonic Revival Engine.

salomthehedgehog.png

Salom the Hedgehog is an adventurous 17 y/o character with australian characteristics that resides in a southern island in the Sol Dimension. His ability to run at a high speed is from being born with a Wind Spirit. Each carrier has the ability to control the wind around them, thus able to soar around at great speed. Salom is shown to be a Wind Spirit carrier because he has white streaks on his fur which is an obvious indicator. Over the years he has trained just enough to become one of the best carriers alive.

This is a simple demo that includes 1 test zone and a 2 part HUB area. You are welcome to download but please report any glitches you find. I hope you enjoy it!

▬IMAGES▬

concept1n.pngconcept10.pngconcept8.png

▬VIDEOS▬

▬CREDITS▬

Sprites:

Rail Booster, Button Pad, Fan Shell Design, Launcher Sprites

by projectZ3RO and LeaoZX

Extra Life Sprite

by Makimoto-Jin

Crate Sprites

by Gabriel aka FRAG

HUB Town Buildings

by 5angel from pixeljoint

Music:

NeoFalls Test Zone -

Rolling Out - Hilltop Heights Boss Act

by Falk from the Before the Sequel Album by LakeFeperd

SunWoods Test Zone -

On the Hero's Trail - Star Shores Act 2

by Falk from the Before the Sequel Album by LakeFeperd

Result Screen -

Sonic CD Title Screen (Jap)

Programming:

Sonic Revival Engine - Chaos Rush

360° Engine - Damizean

Gameplay Music - Falk

▬TO GET UPDATES, PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THESE LINKS▬

youtube.pngdeviantart.png3662232.png

Wow! What an extremely polished demo of a game! During my playthrough I didn't encounter any serious glitches at all. Gameplay is very solid and feels "modern" in a good way.

You should really explain the controls though. I can't get past through first scripted ramp because I have absolutely no idea where Y or LB is.

But I have two nitpicks. This is my personal opinion though and you don't have to listen to it.

First of all nobody likes fancharacters. Even further nobody likes shameless Sonic recolors. You should include an option to play as Sonic and Shadow instead of Salom and Vermin.

Secondly the resolution is too big. Considering how small objects are the resolution seems to be too high. Reduce it to 480x270-ish and it'd be fine.

Wow! What an extremely polished demo of a game! During my playthrough I didn't encounter any serious glitches at all. Gameplay is very solid and feels "modern" in a good way.

You should really explain the controls though. I can't get past through first scripted ramp because I have absolutely no idea where Y or LB is.

But I have two nitpicks. This is my personal opinion though and you don't have to listen to it.

First of all nobody likes fancharacters. Even further nobody likes shameless Sonic recolors. You should include an option to play as Sonic and Shadow instead of Salom and Vermin.

Secondly the resolution is too big. Considering how small objects are the resolution seems to be too high. Reduce it to 480x270-ish and it'd be fine.

thanks for the comment! well about the controls...you only see Y and LB if you have a Xbox 360 controller plugged in. If you don't you should see keys instead. if it showed up anyway that's one major thing i should take care of.

as for the fan characters, I definitely can understand why a lot of people don't like them especially if they are recolored, but as for mine they're not and i made them when I was younger and when I was a hardcore Sonic fan. I just made this game because I always wanted to make one about my character years ago. After I discovered Game Maker and released my first game, I decided to make my childhood dream come true. That's basically the whole story of it. As for the resolution..eh I know it's big I really do, but I didn't have any concerns about it until I had everything set. It really isn't too bad though, I think it'll pass. I'm already use to it so I'm pretty sure everyone else will too.

as for the fan characters, I definitely can understand why a lot of people don't like them especially if they are recolored, but as for mine they're not and i made them when I was younger and when I was a hardcore Sonic fan. I just made this game because I always wanted to make one about my character years ago. After I discovered Game Maker and released my first game, I decided to make my childhood dream come true. That's basically the whole story of it. As for the resolution..eh I know it's big I really do, but I didn't have any concerns about it until I had everything set. It really isn't too bad though, I think it'll pass. I'm already use to it so I'm pretty sure everyone else will too.

I fully understand why you are using fancharecters in your fangame and I can't really blame you for it. It's your fangame after all so it's your right to use them. just be ready for shitstorm and ignorance this design decision may lead to :)

As for Xbox controller I do have a usb controller (not an Xbox controller though) plugged in. I gotta try to use it to play the game instead of keyboard.

The game is just awesome, sprites and effects delight my eyes, the music matched well.

I also like the fact that the game is made in Game Maker.

And that proves that Game Maker is capable of much.

I'm now a fan of this game! Maybe talk about it in Russia, my homeland.

UPD: I really want to see this in SAGE 2013, she deserve it!

@ Felik

yeah i was kinda expecting it from the people of youtube, but it surprised me that i didn't get any hate! We'll see how the forums do ;D

I would add some sort of plugin reader (if available) to check if it's specifically a 360 controller, but im afraid that everyone will have drivers different from me.

@TheValeev

You are always filled with positive things to say! :D

Thanx bro I hope everyone else will feel the same way you do ^^

@Falk

I sure know how to pick em. lol

@Hybrid35

Thanks mate! I didn't want to put Sonic and Shadow in because I want to stick to something different, pretty much EVERYONES fangame has Sonic. Plus, this game will have an original storyline so I'd probably get a shitstorm for doing a crossover.

@TailsSena

lol that post definitely made my day xD thank you!

Everything rocked. Solid, innovative, pretty, and most of all fun. I love the pacing of the game and everything. I also loved the level transition method you used.

Dont give a damn what you do as long as you finish this title. Maybe you'll be the one to finally revive good fancharacter fangames. This seriously reminds me of a fangame i started a really long time ago with some grey guy who had a similar boost effect lol.

I say keep the resolution the way it is. It seems like you've done a wonderful job molding the game to that resolution.

To be honest I find it better that way because in most 2D sonic games and fan games when you're able to go super speed, I can't see shit ahead of me lol I always stop the boost cuz I'm afraid I might run into something.

It's true. Most games that use boost but limit themselves to that ridiculous native resolution annoy the crap out of me. No amount of camera control (minus a zoom feature) will make it any better. It just limits everything you can do with the feature.

Anyway i think this is one of the first 2D fangames to REALLY capture the best parts of the gameplay concepts brought about by Sonic Team's Unleashed engine. It is just a blast to play, and I cannot wait to play the finished version.

you should have definitely had this at SAGE.

Yeh, I thought I'd address this. A lot of the reason that the viewable area of older games are just due to technical limitations. Sure, you could make shit smaller, but at the cost of detail.

Here and now, 20 years later, having a low resolution 'just because that's the way it's been done' (even up to DS/3DS titles) is a crock of shit, in my opinion. Level design is subject to how much you can see, true, but that doesn't mean seeing less is always better.

As fast as Sonic (or whoever) goes, larger viewing distance and levels designed to take advantage of it is definitely a refreshing change, even if it's not the norm. It has a lot to do with reaction time; the same reason 60fps is so crucial to games of this sort, i.e. f u xbox/ps3/'modern' indsutry standard of 30fps.

Yeh, I thought I'd address this. A lot of the reason that the viewable area of older games are just due to technical limitations. Sure, you could make shit smaller, but at the cost of detail.

Here and now, 20 years later, having a low resolution 'just because that's the way it's been done' (even up to DS/3DS titles) is a crock of shit, in my opinion. Level design is subject to how much you can see, true, but that doesn't mean seeing less is always better.

As fast as Sonic (or whoever) goes, larger viewing distance and levels designed to take advantage of it is definitely a refreshing change, even if it's not the norm. It has a lot to do with reaction time; the same reason 60fps is so crucial to games of this sort, i.e. f u xbox/ps3/'modern' indsutry standard of 30fps.

Good job at completely missing the point.

I'm not saying that resolution should be smaller because "it's the way it was done before". Resolution should be smaller because everything is small. Small characters, small enemies, small rings, etc. It just looks unappealing this way. And he didn't even start making level tiles. Small tiles will look extremely repetitive and dull because play area is very big. And he can't just use huge graphics for level tiles because they'd clash with advance sprites badly. So he has to either redraw all the graphics to match big resolution or use lesser resolution.

Holy crap...fancharacter aside, this may as well be one of the better modern fangames that exists so far. The youtube videos look so polished and fluid.

Fan character however, looks too much like the shitty fan character I made 6 years ago meaning I may not warm up to your one sadly. (Hated my fan character)

Edit: Demos fps drops every now and then on my sisters laptop but still plays really well.

As fast as Sonic (or whoever) goes, larger viewing distance and levels designed to take advantage of it is definitely a refreshing change,

You're always like this; you only got 1 side of the bed to wake out of labelled 'wrong' or something?

You're always like this; you only got 1 side of the bed to wake out of labelled 'wrong' or something?

I got your point dude. I'm just saying that I'd rather have an organic game with obstructed vision than a giant near-empty screen with microscopic sprites crawling in it.

Big screen is good only if utilized well.

well like i said some people will like it some wont and I'm pretty sure they will get use to it and wont be so bothersome. I will find anyway I can to make it less empty but until then just enjoy the gameplay. But I appreciate all these comments you guys are making, I wanna make sure everyone can enjoy this.

@ chaos fusion

as I said before near the beginning of the post, this was something I wanted to do as a kid, it was 10 years ago when I created this character. I didn't even know fan characters were a thing when I created mine so of course I wasn't too original back then. If you're not warming up to this one then hopefully you will to my other ones, some of them were created about a year ago.

I'm not saying that resolution should be smaller because "it's the way it was done before". Resolution should be smaller because everything is small. Small characters, small enemies, small rings, etc. It just looks unappealing this way. And he didn't even start making level tiles. Small tiles will look extremely repetitive and dull because play area is very big. And he can't just use huge graphics for level tiles because they'd clash with advance sprites badly. So he has to either redraw all the graphics to match big resolution or use lesser resolution.

This is one of the more visually captivating and overall "FUN" fangames that exist right now. Argument invalid.

You're looking at this from a graphics standpoint. This is completely irrelevant.

I got your point dude. I'm just saying that I'd rather have an organic game with obstructed vision than a giant near-empty screen with microscopic sprites crawling in it.

Big screen is good only if utilized well.

The point we're trying to make is that he can do more with his chosen resolution than you could ever do with the one you're trying to downgrade him to. There is absolutely zero reason to change his resolution. Everything he's done has been designed around it, and it works perfectly. Changing it for such a silly cosmetic reason doesn't make any sense.

Nobody cares what resolution the original tiles were catered to. He's not even using strictly genesis or advance, he's been mixing them. Downgrading your design just to fit a ridiculous screen size is insane any angle i view it from.

He has such a fun game concept going right now. I refuse to see him start worrying about something that has so little to do with why his fangame is fun.

This is one of the more visually captivating and overall "FUN" fangames that exist right now. Argument invalid.

You're looking at this from a graphics standpoint. This is completely irrelevant.

You sure showed me :scool:

From what I've seen and played, lesser resolution would not harm in any way and the game would look better. You don't see the problem because actually not much was done (from graphical standpoint) so far.

But of course it's up to Nefault1st to decide what res to use. I've just thrown my two cents