A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

3D Modelling.

luksamuk

Ok, so, now that I'm in college I decided to improve all of my skills, because not only of codes a program is made.

And as I've been immersed for so long in fangaming, now I see you guys making amazing things with modellers, UDK (SonicGDK to be more precise), Unity, and even the old BlitzSonic... that's pretty much pushing me into some actual GAMING. I've been developing a lotta concept with friends, but I still need help from you guys, because this is still the place I learned more about programming and graphics.

I was lucky to get a student's license for downloading Autodesk Maya 2012, but still, even knowing that I can learn fast, I can't seem to find SOURCES for learning 3D modelling. Can anybody tell me what are the best programs or redirect me to some video-tutorials or online documentation? (Please, remember that English isn't my mother-language, and I may have some difficulty with listening what people say on videos). Also, is Maya REALLY good? Should I have any more programs? Should I also learn how to model directly on UDK?

I appreciate ANY kind of help.

I can't really point you to any video tutorials per say, but I do think that polycount is a great resource. The wiki has a few amazing little pieces of information in it.

http://wiki.polycount.com/

Of course, this requires you to have a bit of experience in the program as well. Also I swear by Maya, it is amazing, but all of the autodesk programs are sick. Softimage, Maya, and Max are all decent (well, I can't really vouch for Max since I have never used it).

I know that I had used Digital Tutors on occasion outside of class time to learn the programs as well...but I wouldn't really rely on them too much because I found I was learning some bad things after a while too. I think you have to pay for that site though, and I was only in it cause our school got us accounts on there.

Yeah see I don't think they have anything in there to teach you how to use the program, but it'll be handy to refer to some things in there (especially concerning topology) once you get a bit further in. So I can't really recommend a topic to look at in there just yet

I'm not exactly sure where you'd go to truly start on your way. Since I learned how to do it in school I can't exactly point you to much in the way of starting off fresh.

Ah, okay.

I'm also having some drawing classes on college but yeah, I'm only having it this semester, and it's just technical stuff on AutoCAD. But thanks, you can't imagine how much you helped me with this.

EDIT: Already learning.

refri.png

Yeah, it's just a cane, I know. But that's a beginning.

I learned some 3D modeling while taking a 3 month break from TT last year. I used maya which I very much like, though it seems 3DstudioMax was what everyone I talked to was learning. I used video tutorials at lynda.com to do so. Its 25 dollars a month but their tutorials are the best. They've got tutorials on Abobe products, all kinds of programming, 3DSMax, Maya, Zbrush and more. I don't think there is professional software that I've wanted to learn that I didn't find on lynda.com.

@OB: Thanks for the reference. Although I'm a bit short of money right now... but I'll look into it.

@TailsSena: Hey, thanks. About the textures, I didn't make any texture yet, but I was thinking about using Paint.NET for now... I can't get used to photoshop >:

Maya has built in tools for making textures called paint effects. It should great to get started but I'd wager you'll eventually have to learn PS.

On that note, never rely on hypershade. It sucks. And, change the render plugin to "mentalray", it's effectively the awesome button.

You don't have to do anything in Photoshop for texturing if you don't want to. I've used Paint Tool SAI on a couple of occasions due to it being my weapon of choice when it comes to anything involving colouring digitally.

As a long time user of 3D programs, I personally prefer 3dsmax. I tried Maya and I didn't really like it. I'll be forced to use it in SVA this coming fall semester at college but if I could, I would much rather use 3dsmax. Both Maya and 3dsmax come with their own tutorials. Its under the help menu up top. Help -> tutorials.

As far as texturing goes, you guys should check this out.