A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Emerald Ties Revival (last update 03/04 p. 2)

Gamerdude

Is this using Sonic Worlds btw, or a unique engine? If I recall correctly, the original game was released before sonic worlds was started, or am I mistaken?

You're correct. There was an engine made by Damizean (same author as Sonic Worlds) before Sonic Worlds. I suppose this was almost his beta engine, although maybe he could comment. It was very minimalistic at its roots, just basic movement was included if I recall correctly. His old engine is used as a base, however it's been extensively modified.

In other words, the core is an old MMF1.5 360-degree movement engine by Damizean, ported to MMF2. Everything else is original code.

Precisely. Haha, I almost forgot it was done in MMF1.5, but it was. I remember porting the whole engine to mmf2. Was a pain at the time of release with so many extensions not ported, but it was worth the frustration :).

• 2 weeks later...
I like it :) Very nice level design, in particular Relic Retreat background is really really well done.

Now, stupid question time: I downloaded the demo from the website, which is sage 08, so I assume an older one. Is there a way to put it in full screen, or enlarge the window?

I'm thrilled to see people liked the ruins. It was my first creation that actually came together in the end. And the bricks were custom. I plan on redoing many of the decorations so it's more custom than reused, but new zones are always the focus. Just to show you it hasn't disappeared though...

relicretreat3.png

relicretreat6.png

relicretreat8.png

IN WIDESCREEN!!1

Not sure if this was brought up but...

[qimg]http://etcf.thisisourcorner.net/images/screens/ppz_1.png[/qimg]

Is there an error in this screenshot with the parallax layers or is it just me? Look towards the bottom of the screen there is this grey strip. Sorry if its just 'cause its incomplete or if you guys already know about it, I just thought I'd point it out.

Super excited this is back though!

LOL I noticed, but it took me a very long time. I just had to change the Y scrolling value of the parallax. Alternatively making the level smaller would have fixed it. Everything's a work in progress.

I'm cooking up some stuff that I think will blow your minds, but can't show off all the hideous placeholder graphics just yet. But here are some examples of other stuff we're working on to show progress hasn't halted.

First off, the engine's been touched up a lot. Rolling down slopes can allow Sonic to gain more air off half pipes and such:

polarpeakact1earlyscree.png

(Clouds scroll now omg, screenshots are totally bad at illustrating that)

(I realize I didn't manage to get the half pipe in the screenshot. But it's there. for real.)

edit2:

Just cause why not - note that the platform moves vertically.

slopeloop1.png

SLANTY LOOPS!!1

ppzbreakablewip1.png

Lots of stuff is placeholder...

Sonic now can jump to the ceiling as he could in Sonic 3. Gamerdude never fails to pull stuff off.

polarpeakprojectscreen1.png

You guys haven't seen enough of this corkscrew yet.

You'd be surprised how long it takes to make some slight variations of tiles. A lot of errors in tiles may seem obvious, but believe me, I'm aware of them. I even plan on redoing many of the things in there, but placeholder's just a way of not having to deal with it all at once. I have a ton of gimmicks in the works - this zone will definitely play like something new. You haven't seen half of it yet. :awink:

edit--

going to show off more tiles too, since other people may find it beneficial:

buttloadoficetiles.png

threeslopeshapes2.png

If you think working with my snow tiles looks difficult, you'd be right. Working with grass is awesome on the other hand - nothing has to connect in a certain way. I find myself having to make more tiles than necessary so they line up as I want them to sometimes. But once you set up a few templates it becomes easy to work in variations. I plan on making lots of tutorials on making this stuff as manageable as possible, I just have to wait until I'm less swamped with work.

Also you can see all those freaking slopes I made for no reason that are all different. I'll probably keep making random tiles throughout the creation of the zone. It's like there's always something else that can be done. haha

Btw, feel free to use these:

slopetemplates.png

Most of my slope templates. But I encourage you to make your own as well. Personally I will try to make it a point not to reuse templates between zones.

icesteepestslopes3.png

lol at how fugly snow can start to look when skewed. I did at least edit it to improve it

--

Next time I update will be with something completely new. I updated a lot of small stuff so you can see what some of my time has been going toward, but it'll be a bit longer before I show you the trademarks of the zone.

If anyone ever wants help with their game or anything they should hit me up on AIM or MSN, I'm suddenly into this again and I'd be willing to check out anything you guys are up to and help where I can. Especially if you're new to this stuff and need direction. I could always use some feedback too.

Any specific direction that you're going to take the soundtrack?

We are planning to have a more or less original soundtrack. Ristar is currently helping with some of the zone music. Shadix has also offered his help as well. We are very excited to have both of them working to help us create some great music for the soundtrack :). Truth be told I never thought we'd get people interested in making some tunes for us, so personally, I'm ecstatic. We've already got a track or two done from Ristar with more in the works by both of them. Maybe we'll give a preview of some of the music soon to see what we're planning :).

Screw it, here's a sample from Sparkling Seaside: http://etcf.thisisourcorner.net/music.html (requires an HTML5 capable browser, song should just autoplay in the background).

Odd that the file wouldn't play. I know I tested it before I posted it...maybe I'll convert it to mp3 and rehost when I get home. In the meantime, thanks Blazefire.

Edit: Haha serves me right for testing only in chrome. Doesn't work in Firefox on my work computer :) here's a direct link to the ogg: http://etcf.thisisourcorner.net/music/SparklingSeaside_clip.ogg. I right click saved the link from Firefo and saved it as all fils without the htm extension and could play it in vlc.

Here you go Blaze

Oh by the way, Gamerdude/Rael. I see you still haven't made it so Sonic's ball sprite doesn't rotate with the angle yet in the engine?

If you mean the rolling animation, then no, we haven't. Its actually not something that i remember being brought to my personal attention before. Generally speaking I was keeping all the ground animations rotated to maintain consistency, however if this is undesirable to people its not a big deal to change.

Odd that the file wouldn't play. I know I tested it before I posted it...maybe I'll convert it to mp3 and rehost when I get home. In the meantime, thanks Blazefire.

Edit: Haha serves me right for testing only in chrome. Doesn't work in Firefox on my work computer :) here's a direct link to the ogg: http://etcf.thisisourcorner.net/music/SparklingSeaside_clip.ogg. I right click saved the link from Firefo and saved it as all fils without the htm extension and could play it in vlc.

If you mean the rolling animation, then no, we haven't. Its actually not something that i remember being brought to my personal attention before. Generally speaking I was keeping all the ground animations rotated to maintain consistency, however if this is undesirable to people its not a big deal to change.

I was only saying that assuming you wanted to keep things tight and pristine compared to the classical games. (As most people try). The ball animation in any of the classics or the modern Sonic4 never rotates ever. It's not a major issue though. You're engine is awesome as it is without this minor tweak.

I was only saying that assuming you wanted to keep things tight and pristine compared to the classical games. (As most people try). The ball animation in any of the classics or the modern Sonic4 never rotates ever. It's not a major issue though. You're engine is awesome as it is without this minor tweak.

I was talking with Naoshi about this last night, and like I said to him, I never really noticed :). I got so used to it just rotating that I forgot that's not how it was in the classic games, so I guess it never bothered me. That said though, I think it's a good idea, and I've already changed the engine to reflect it. I recently started using global events for a majority of the engine stuff and it's made making changes much easier in most cases. :).