A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 1 beta video! o.O

Bosco

As I commented before on the video... the palmtrees have a nice shading. I almost can't believe that it is a beta version of Green Hill.

Besides, the movements seem just like an ordinary platform engine. Yeah, I know it's a beta, but why is the grass in front of Sonic's feet instead of behind it?

EDIT: O WAIT The beta picure actually seems to make the video legit.

But hackers... they're awesome, aren't they?

I still don't believe SEGA would let Sonic 1 leak over the 1991 days. If it was the leak of a new game I'd believe, but Sonic 1? Naaah.

People are saying it's a hoax because of the gravity, but considering this is a very early stage of Sonic 1, I wouldn't be surprised if the early physics of Sonic 1 at this point were more floatey as seen here.

There's a lot of evidence pointing towards this being a hoax though. Whether it is or isn't, I'd still like to play it.

HEY GUYS I AM EGG MONSTER AND YOU ALL ARE WORTH 2K MONIES

Well, i find it veeery interesting that this video happens as people in Sonic Retro were discussing about the Sonic 1 Beta. There are all sorts of little differences in the video when compared to the magazine pics. And why the player doesn't show the Welcome sign?

Also, Sonic's max speed here is about the same if not slower than the final. I read myself that in beta phases, Sonic moved so fast that Naka almost threw up. The speed shoes where a compromise to him lowering it, but even then it's not as fast as he was in the beta. With the speed shoes Sonic will top out at 11, when I think he used to top out at 16-18.

Contrary to what people at Retro were saying, I don't think it's Sonic Worlds. Just like comparing it with release Sonic games, the physics are way off, so the only way it could be Worlds is if it modified stuff fairly heavily. Worlds isn't perfect, but it isn't nearly that floaty, and it takes the slope of the terrain you are standing on into account when jumping... which this demo doesn't seem to do.

As I commented before on the video... the palmtrees have a nice shading. I almost can't believe that it is a beta version of Green Hill.

Well the game doesn't have any kind of 3D lighting engine, so it's entirely possible the art asset looked that good that early.

As for whether or not it's real....we're able to easily simulate sonic games through our own engines these days after years of studying the older ones. This could very, very easily be a Hoax.

Retro is the worst forum ever when things like this come up. Glad I can come here, where the conversations aren't anywhere near that retarded.

I think it's most likely fake. If I were to entertain it being real, the uploader is doing a piss poor job of trying to get us to believe him. The entire purpose of uploading a video would be to show the world valid evidence, but he's provided nothing but a cloudy video. He put more effort into editing the video and zooming in and stuff instead of showing the cart. Of course, it could still be real though, and this person doesn't know what they're doing. Oh well.