A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mega Upload shuts down

Sparks

Megaupload did a lot of things wrong with its business model, that led it to be so populated with pirates.

Such as protecting the anonymity of its users for a fee. Effectively promoting and profiting off pirating.

There are lots of other smaller details in their model as well.

It's frighting that it happened so quickly, but I doubt it would happen to other content hosting sites.

Also its a fairly good reminder that we sure as hell don't need SOPA/PIPA

The people behind MU have quite a history, and this case is definitely connected to it.

Keep in mind, only one of the charges is copyright infringement/promotion of it. The other charges are... racketeering and money laundering.

So yes, there's quite an underlying story in this case - I guess other filehosters are safe for now, as their policies include the usual dmca requests, account closing, etc.

This happened right after the whole SOPA protest, so it does raise a considerable amount of uncertainty.

true.

to be honest, another site will pop up in its place. Remember when mininova shut down? everyone boarded their doors and windows shut, ready for the apocalypse and another site just sprouted up.

not really bothered, i don't pirate stuff.

@Strife: Yeah, pretty much. The timeframe is quite peculiar, though... So it's quite possible that it will throw quite an uproar - especially for subscribed members, even more the ones who paid for a lifetime membership.

And if these laws pass... Well, that would be the real hell.

Anon responds by taking out like the entire legislation lineup. In the span of an hour, they took down the Department of Justice, Universal music group, RIAA, MPAA websites, plus FBI's website, copyright.gov, FBI.gov, the MPAA chief's personal website, the Utah Chiefs of Police Association website, BMI's website, and are working on doing the same to the White House website right now.

Don't they have anything better to do?

...guess not, if they can't get stuff off MU. ;D

That's right - As I mentioned previously, there are additional charges aside from the copyright infringement. The fact that this happened right in a critical time where SOPA and PIPA messages spread everywhere is something to be noted, though.

Sadly, media exaggerating facts make things harder to understand - a DDoS attack is not hacking - it's easy to do.

To compare, if we want someone (users) to be denied access to a room (website), we could change the lock in the door so that the previous key wouldn't work (hacking). Or instead, we can simply shove a shitton of people through the small door frame, making entry impossible.

That would be a DDoS - saturating the website with requests, which makes them slow, and eventually unresponsive. It's like the "lifehacker/slashdot effect", only that the point is to take the site out, instead of sharing whatever was on it.

And a last thing to note - People are sharing links on twitter/fb/whatever to a pastehtml site, that will essentially turn your browser into a lightweight DDoS cannon. I don't think I need to explain why it's a bad idea to take part in it... So just stay away from these.