A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

gamemaker app yes or no

NO. Games have been casualized to death. DO NOT casualize the creation of them.

I agree and disagree. Game design is a form of art and there are some people who do it just to pass the time. I'd rather an app like that not be made mainly because I feel that game maker (and other programs such as mmf2, unity and the likes) is a bit too complex.

Game development programs as an app would fail. Now if where talking about an ipad... naw it would be too complex. Only rpgmaker should stick with it, seeing that they have a DS version of it already. But before I say anything about development, what about sprites and models? You'll may want to stick to a pc. Drawings a bi**h on a touch screen.

I'm sorry, a game maker app where you do the development on Android? That's fucking retarded. It's hard enough making games when you are at a desktop with six monitors all in portrait mode allowing you to stare into your code like a God from the sky while being able to punch out 180 words per second on a high end keyboard and move from one of a screen to another in an instant with extreme precision and grace on a fancy ass mouse. I can't even imagine how horrible it would be to try and do all of this on a 4.3 inch telephone where you have to type everything on a worthless on-screen keyboard which cuts your total viewing size to more like 2 inches.

I'm sorry, a game maker app where you do the development on Android? That's fucking retarded. It's hard enough making games when you are at a desktop with six monitors all in portrait mode allowing you to stare into your code like a God from the sky while being able to punch out 180 words per second on a high end keyboard and move from one of a screen to another in an instant with extreme precision and grace on a fancy ass mouse. I can't even imagine how horrible it would be to try and do all of this on a 4.3 inch telephone where you have to type everything on a worthless on-screen keyboard which cuts your total viewing size to more like 2 inches.
Hilarious
Hilarious? I'm afraid I see nothing funny about DW's post. If you're doing serious development, then a mobile device is NOT the optimal solution for the job.

Definitely, it's not hilarious.

Though I think technology would make able to develop an eventual version of GameMaker even for a smartphone, nobody's gonna make it. What's the point in making games for money if everyone can make it easily?

I've just made a sentence that enters in conflict with myself.

I agree and disagree. Game design is a form of art and there are some people who do it just to pass the time. I'd rather an app like that not be made mainly because I feel that game maker (and other programs such as mmf2, unity and the likes) is a bit too complex.

You see, anyone can draw or paint but only the people who put in hours of work and do extensive research actually do it well. I feel like if you make game creation easy, it'll take away from how powerful it is. To paint or draw, you still need to physically do something. You have to spend the amount of time necessary for your piece for it to be finished. Having a game creation program on a mobile device would have to make it SUPER EASY mode because its sort of impossible to make anything good on something so small.

You can even see it right here at our home, SFGHQ. There are tons of engines with most of the work done for people already but there are hardly any finished games. Most people either give up... or take a really long time to do it. Its because good things require time. I doubt you're going to sit with your mobile device for 16 hours a day coding a character's movement. Its just something that cant be done too casually.

RPG maker has always had console versions bro.

I have a version on my PS2.

Of course the console versions are gigantic pieces of shit compared to the PC versions. Most notably due to the sharing/Memory/and other various hardware limitations and Not a lot of copies of them exist.

In fact I see it as a solid example why a portable game making app will never get popular.

Also. holy shit I have so many god damn windows open when Im working on a project. I don't have room for all of it on an HD computer screen let alone something that fits in my pocket.