A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Internet censorship could spell the end of fangaming.

Strife

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serephim If I could give you rep for that post I would,

I laughed so hard.. :L

I really dont know where I stand on this, I'll admit I download a fair amount of illegal stuff from Movies to Iphone apps..

It's a fine line with games though,

Would you carry on making games for the rest of your life and make no profit at all, but people loved your games with a passion and really enjoyed them.

or would you make money of your games and let it take you over? To a point where making a "Good" game is just a standard for making money...

I know which one I'd rather do. The first.

I personally think games should be made for free. I appreciate fan games and freeware games a lot more than commercial games. Take Cave Story for instance, I absolutely adore that game, every single piece of that game is perfect, and that's because Studio pixel put his heart and soul into that game and just wanted people to enjoy it..

At the moment Nicalis is making money off the remakes, But Pixel's using that get his game out there more so people can enjoy it.. I don't think he cares too much about the profit.

I personally think games should be made for free. I appreciate fan games and freeware games a lot more than commercial games. Take Cave Story for instance, I absolutely adore that game, every single piece of that game is perfect, and that's because Studio pixel put his heart and soul into that game and just wanted people to enjoy it..

At the moment Nicalis is making money off the remakes, But Pixel's using that get his game out there more so people can enjoy it.. I don't think he cares too much about the profit.

Yes, Cave Story. Perfect example!

PC version: Marvelous, perfect. (Free)

Wii version: Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. ($15)

DSi version: Good. ($10)

I see a trend between price and quality here...

Free games are good to an extent. They can only be so good >_>.

On another note, this bill disturbs me deeply. The fact that it's loosely worded kinda leads me to believe the intent isn't solely just to protect copyright. It's like they don't even care about the possible outcome?

@Ila, do you ever say anything nice, I mean... Practice common courtesy?

All I see you do is bash people.

@Flame; Yes, that's true as well, few free games are good and are rarely that good. But in all honesty, an annoying ammount of payed games these days aren't as fun as free games, even if they're far better quality... You know?

@Ila, do you ever say anything nice, I mean... Practice common courtesy?

All I see you do is bash people.

ila's arguing your opinion, not bashing you. He's not saying you're stupid; he's saying that yours and Jethawk's notion that all games should be free is flawed.

Here's the thing. In a perfect world, every game would be free, but the world is far from perfect. There are people who want to make paid games to make a living, to have an income. Paid games are how we support developers and publishers, indie and 'mainstream' alike. What they get from sales pays for bigger (and sometimes) better games, or it pays the rent or lunch for a month or two. That, or it gets that fancy executive in HQ some pretty killer furniture. Either way, if every game were made to be free, you're killing off more than just a business. You're denying an income for someone, for somebody. What money is there to be made on free games? None. You can't make a living making free games unless you got some other gig to back it up financially. This stuff takes time and effort and it certainly takes money, too.

You can make a living making free games actually, it's just that they tend to be supported by advertising and generally just kind of suck for the most part. And that's when they aren't trying to trick you into spending money on the game. Kingdom of Loathing is probably the one example of a game that was 'free to play' that I really liked and actually ended up spending some money on (to the tune of 30 dollars even), but then that's a browser game.

I like the landscape the way it is though. Professionally made games sold at cost while not always worth the price of admission are at least easy to understand, and it isn't like they are really that expensive... at least if you are willing to wait a little while and live in the U.S.

No, because PIPA's still there, and SOPA could ressurect like some sort of zombie at any moment. Not the near future, but there's always the oppourtunity for that.

Pretty much this.

"Okay, well, the public caught on and raised a stink, so let's put it away for now and wait until the new season of Dancing with the Stars begins before we try again."

=Smidge=

Also, the minute you start using your student licenses of software that you bought on the cheap for anything other than your own educational purposes,

Depends. A lot of companies find that getting people at the start of their careers using their products instead of a competitor's is worth the 'loss' of a student price. Many software suites are essentially on the same EULA for a student version, pegging on the hopes that the user sticks with the product through updates and future revisions.

There are always exceptions, of course.

Yes, Cave Story. Perfect example!

PC version: Marvelous, perfect. (Free)

Wii version: Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. ($15)

DSi version: Good. ($10)

I see a trend between price and quality here...

Really? The Wii Version was shit? Isn't that the same version that lets you toggle between old and new if you don't like the changes that were made and is essentially the same exact game as the free one but with extras

Isn't it the same version that was then ported to Steam as Cave Story+ that has even more stuff, while still letting you toggle back to the original. It also just recently added the christmas modes and the 3DS soundtrack to it.

I have no clue how a version of the game you have to pay money for that has extra stuff that can be turned on and off makes it shit compared to the original. The only difference here is you have to pay for one, which shouldn't be an issue because the game is simply of a good quality and still relatively cheap for all the stuff you get in it. The value doesn't suddenly degrade the game when everything is still pretty much the same if you so desire.

Depends. A lot of companies find that getting people at the start of their careers using their products instead of a competitor's is worth the 'loss' of a student price. Many software suites are essentially on the same EULA for a student version, pegging on the hopes that the user sticks with the product through updates and future revisions.

There are always exceptions, of course.

I have no idea what software you are mentioning, but since the two primary companies I'm talking about are Adobe and Autodesk, I'll just say that each and every student license they offer explicitly prohibits any and all 'professional' use, which is more explicitly to say, no, this license can't be used for a career, or even technically to get started on a project that you start with the intention of selling.

When you get right down to it, those 'cheap' student license aren't nearly cheap enough considering that you aren't allowed to do anything with them that justifies the price in the first place. Really, in my opinion they should be giving the student software away as a charity and I think exploitation of students, who are really a captive audience who are told what software they will need and when they will need it, is pretty disgusting.

More or less every single piece of music software I own are full licenses. In fact many distributors which don't specifically show student prices on their sites/distributions are willing to give cuts, which is why I always tell people to e-mail and ask.

I guess when we're talking about sample banks and such it's clinically different though since it's raw materials as opposed to the means to manipulate them, but even moving up to DAWs and hardware (yes, student prices, or at least factory prices for those exist) the situation is the same.

edit: funny you should mention that last sentence. The fact that Pro Tools is -still- touted as the industry standard and shoved down students' throats here has been a point of personal amusement for more than a few years now. :V

It's the same here with FL Studio. I paid the full commercial price for mine cus I wanted to sell my creations.. It's okay though because I've made 10x more than what I paid for it, So I guess if your good at what you do its worth paying for the full product.

I Agree with the whole Pro Tools thing Falk xD Where I study they try ramming pro tools and Logic down our throats when I love FL :P

Back on subject, I think fan gaming should carry on as it's going cus a lot of great products have come out of it. Take Sonic Fan Remix for instance, Its beautifully crafted and has the passion of fans inside it, and theres no denying some of the inspiration for Sonic Generations Green Hill Zone came from it, You should go compare that zone to the Sonic Fan Remix's early sketches..

I think SEGA/Sonic Team likes fan gaming and all things fan made, Just look back at when Sonic 4 Ep 1 was been developed, people started remixing Splash Hill before the game was even released. Did SEGA cry like a baby and get it took down? No. They appreciated the love for the game and Sonic and even posted the best ones up on the Official Sonic 4 Blog (Y)

Haha that's awesome. So is the blackout that a lot of sites are doing still necessary? lol

I say "yes" - because there is no guarantee the "shelved" bills won't manifest under a different name in the future, at a time when people aren't paying as much attention.

I'm considering adding SFGHQ to the blackout, though I don't think this site has enough traffic to really educate anyone who doesn't already know about it.

=Smidge=