A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Before The Sequel'12 - Released!

LakeFeperd

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was always the plan to release a downloadable, standalone OST along with the SAGE'12 release. The plan for BTS, summed up is as such: (tl;dr inc)

Before the Sequel's always been a game that was completed, released in 2011, and essentially over and done with. Even for me personally, when something is done I generally prefer to take what I've learnt and make something completely new instead of tinkering with it over and over and stagnating.

What's happening with BTS though, is that LakeFeperd was kind enough to let me turn it into a personal playground in both music composition and project organization. This has helped me a lot because it takes -some- pressure off because it's essentially adding to something that's already done as opposed to doing something for an upcoming project (unofficial, unlicensed, fangame etc or not) if that makes any sense at all.

As such, I'm being a lot more transparent regarding the process and doing a lot of things I otherwise wouldn't do. The easiest example I can give is how I'm uploading stuff pretty much as I finish it for BTS whereas for ATS things are probably going to be under wraps until official trailers/releases/etc.

In terms of writing for a fangame, as funny as it sounds I'm having a lot more fun than I might if I were doing an official game. Just like LakeFeperd is throwing in cameos and easter eggs from other franchises he enjoys, I'm putting in a lot of nods and even stylistic/motivic recreations of musics from things I've enjoyed in the past... and learning a lot about the thought processes that went into the originals.

BTS OST essentially will be an overall theme/genre for a zone, with remixes/arrangements between acts, a-la Colors/Sonic CD JP (which are our two main sources of stylistic inspiration) Two particular acts, and one boss act music will remain as existing Sonic music (or a remake) as the levels are direct homages. It's easy enough to figure out which. ;p Many of the others will have thematic references - Starlight zone hidden inside Star Shores for example.

The SAGE'12 version's 10 special stages will essentially be 10 (mostly Dance) remixes of songs cherry picked from across 20 years of Sonic music, and be a cohesive, discrete unit within the soundtrack. Think of it as a bonus remix CD in a box set, if you will. Right now some that I absolutely want to do are are Sonic 2 special stage, 3D Blast Saturn title screen, Chun-nan (I hate the stage though :V), and I'm open to suggestions for the others.

edit: http://soundcloud.com/falk-2/sets/before-the-sequel-ost Yay album art!

i love doing references =P

and as you said, yes they are very good for learning. that's why i did the kirby power ups in ATS (wich will be only usefull in one level)

hey, falk, dont you think doing 10 remixes is a bit too much?

i dont know the time it takes to make one but if you still want to do it, dont put that much effort on them, save it for the levels (that are the most important part of it)

More than a couple of months ago we essentially got the entirety of BTS covered already in terms of planning (Wasn't too hard since the game was done, level list was concrete, etc)

I definitely remember you said you wanted to contribute though; thanks for the offer!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

*brow wipe*

Well, with things rapidly wrapping up, I guess I should ask in advance just to see what's a more popular opinion.

Most of the tunes are between 0:50 and 1:30, with a few outliers shorter or longer. Right now I'm planning to release the OST with (almost all of, some exceptions) each song going through once, and then fading out at the start of the repetition, which I understand is pretty short, even for a fangame soundtrack.

On the other hand, repeating another entire time through before fading out may add some artificial padded length that both inflates the download size and can annoy some people.

I've seen both methods used in both Sonic and non-Sonic OSTs, with songs just about as long to much longer (like 3min before repeats). There are also some soundtracks which have like 5-minute songs with proper endings, that have cropped/looped in-game versions, though obviously that doesn't apply to this context at all.

So yeah, tl;dr: repeat once, or repeat twice per song before fading? I mean whoever's so inclined can make those 10m/30m/3287498234hours/etc youtube re-uploads anyway; this is just for convenience sake.

Release will be in the form of MP3, FLAC, both with 'liner notes', as well as a Youtube channel with a playlist. This is probably going out a couple of days after SAGE itself goes live.

I'd like the longer versions with each song going through a repetition and then fading out if they're that short. The download size won't bother me since I'd rather wait the little bit extra time needed to DL it and have a longer (even if padded) album to listen to.

I'm probably going to repeat once (i.e. 2 playthroughs before fadeout) just because that's what Sonic Colors does and the OST was supposed to use Sonic Colors as a reference to start with. Yeah it's a lame reason but at least it breaks the mental deadlock I'm having. :V

Have a track, been a while since I directly linked one.

http://soundcloud.com/falk-2/ode-to-shattered-illusions

edit: Should add that the cinematic percussion library had a bank called "exploding cars". I totally had to use that the moment I read the name.

I'm probably going to repeat once (i.e. 2 playthroughs before fadeout) just because that's what Sonic Colors does and the OST was supposed to use Sonic Colors as a reference to start with. Yeah it's a lame reason but at least it breaks the mental deadlock I'm having. :V

Have a track, been a while since I directly linked one.

http://soundcloud.com/falk-2/ode-to-shattered-illusions

edit: Should add that the cinematic percussion library had a bank called "exploding cars". I totally had to use that the moment I read the name.

I said wow.

Metropolis Zone wasn't all that sinister either, but I totally get what you mean. :U It's actually an interesting exercise in how different soundtracks can evoke different moods for the same visuals/experience.