A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Radical Asskickers

Hypersonic645

Oh god... its that guy...

So yeah, what up? Not really working on a fangames, mostly because I try to make one I lose interest. Hope you guys like this. Awaiting a few responses...

Project Radical Asskickers

iPnXj.png

Video:http://youtu.be/Cd3F-4wX9bo

This is a game about asskicking, saving your girlfriend, and ending evil in space.

Story

Mechanical robots are destroying The City, but former hero, McSkip, has no care for the situation. That was until they stole his girlfriend and that was where they crossed the line. Forced to kickass, he must defeat an assortment of mechas and find his girlfriend.

yeah, and pixel work dump

wOu5l.gifSnxV5.gif3BZ5R.gif

This where I'll post my development for the game. I'm sorry about the lack of information.

11-20-11

Been reworking and creating characters. Heavy WIP

C8zzu.png

Loving how Scarf Kid is turning out. And thankfully, I can get programming done during this week.

Oh man, dat pause sound.

I like your pixel work, the body proportions you use are quite unusual, which gives it a refreshing aspect in comparison to other "retro" styles.

"Gunstar Heroes style kicking", hm? Until now, I've never seen any kind of beat 'em up/ sidescroller shoot 'em up game that can top the sheer crazy action GH had. (Scott pilgrim is nice, and Contra always excels, but still no dice against Gunstar Heroes.)

I'm interested on how this turns out.

Also, does ending evil in space imply some kind of super transformation combined with a limited supply of "fuel" and asteroids serving as obstacles? :>

... Is that it? You know, I'm perfectly fine with a topic discussing the planning for a game that hasn't really seen any significant development, but this doesn't even do that really. The sprites look kind of unique, in a neat way, so that's about all I can really say at this point.

Tell you what, I'll give you a few choices...

A. We can delete this topic until you have something more... substantial, and if you'd like you can make an art forum topic showing your sprites.

B. You can add some design discussion to this topic to at least make it have something to do with an actual game.

C. ???

Oh sorry about that DW. Didn't intend to make this a useless joke topic. Design wise, I do have ideas on level progression.

So basically, you have this map where select your own route(think Castlevania 3) and choosing either routes will change the difficulty, story progression, and key items you get.

@gsoft Gunstar Heroes Wall kicking, not asskicking lol. Play the game and try kicking a wall. You bounce off of it instead of how Sonic grabs and slides down, waiting for you to press the jump button to get to the next wall. Also, have you googled Jokaim Sandberg? His games are up to par with Treasure's actiony gameplay. Also, no Super Sonic. Screw that. Refer to Super Shredder in TMNT 3 and 4.

Only complaint I have is the hotspots need a bit of work. He is moving away from his collision mask of which he should be in the middle. It looks odd when you move left, then stop, then go right. It looks like he is kinda warping a bit.

Also, in the music. Do I hear a bit of my SonicAdvance3 Instrument rips?

His head needs to move a lil' bit, it's just too much static... I would recomend reproducing the movements in front of a mirror on record yourself doing 'em. Just to make it look more "realistic".

Just a brotip, I like more "fluid" animations. :V

His head needs to move a lil' bit, it's just too much static... I would recomend reproducing the movements in front of a mirror on record yourself doing 'em. Just to make it look more "realistic".

Just a brotip, I like more "fluid" animations. :V

Might work, but I'm pretty sure a human can't loop an animation so well like a drawing. Works more when you're making a 3D game with motion capture.

Might work, but I'm pretty sure a human can't loop an animation so well like a drawing. Works more when you're making a 3D game with motion capture.

Of course not. I'm not telling him to make sprites over himself's videos or poses. Just telling him to study the moves and the way that the head/arms/legs position themselves while performing. That way he can archive more realistic and fluid animations on his characters.

For example, the second move on the gif, the punch with a red line... The character bend his legs a little bit, that would make his torso go down and go back a bit and his head as well... But in the gif you can observe that he doesn't move much (1px I guess), just looks weird as hell.

I love this project so far, the visual style is great. I am kind of more partial to the original style cause it had a bit more of a cartoony flair to it, but the new heads on these sprites are good too. Cant wait for future updates!!