A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic - Light and Darkness

Chaos-Fusion

logo5x.png

Update:
Read latest post for updates. For videos, just scroll down to the Video's spoiler.

Edit: Deciding where my videos should be transfered to since youtube is driving themselves into the ground.

Intro:
Here's what I've spending most of my free time on, Sonic Light and Darkness, an experiment of mixing Sonic gameplay with RPG elements. For this project, I'm using a heavily modified Sonic Revival Unleashed(Thats driving me insane...) and the direction I'm taking is a Sonic game with RPG elements(exploration, Leveling up, Towns, Generic Fan Fiction, ect ).

Gameplay:
Gameplay is split into 2 modes. Action Stages and overworld maps.

• Action Stages plays like the traditional Sonic game with few other elements to change the formula.
  • Overworld maps are for exploration of dungeons, towns and finding levels. On the Overworld, you can accept side mission/quests that will affect your growth and the outcome of the story.

Story Idea:
I'll elaborate more on the bad fanfiction later on once I've actually written it out. Will be along the lines of Sonic Adventure mood with some light hearted comedy moments

Old Screenshots: To be updated

screenshot131m.th.png screenshot147.th.png screenshot110q.th.png screenshot138q.th.png

Links:

Current:

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/186079-sonic-legends SAGE 2012 demo.

Gameplay Videos :
Full Playlist

15/4/2013 Shadow Module

16/3/2013 Sky World

11/20/2012 Fighting System Progress

11/20/2012 Egg Dome Progress

10/4/2012 Gameplay Video

17/12/2011 Gameplay Video

Archived Builds:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2syibjbto3mwa78 6/10/2011
http://www.mediafire.com/?vbgfd05tvuga9uf

Credits:
In the Game Info. F1

Ideas and Planned Features

Note: These are merely ideas I'm throwing around so they may not appear like the Co-op.

• Advanced Enemies that have intelligence (Higher your strength, easier to destroy them)
  • World Map (Similar to Kingdom Hearts 2 world map)
  • 2 Player Co-op(Unlikely) and Versus mode
  • Better Dark form sprites ✓
  • Dialogue Choices ✓
  • Updated HUD and Interface ✓
  • Special Stages
  • Unlockable characters to play as (Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Amy, Cream, Rouge) No Superforms for them and the RPG elements will not be present when playing as them.
  • Side Missions and Side Quests ✓
  • World Map Dungeons
  • Minigames like the tornado from SA1 (except not repetitive)
  • Multiple Endings (Hero, Good, Neutral, Bad, Corrupted)
  • Level Select & Chapter Select for those who wish to replay the game from the beginning and try and get a different ending or play their favourite level
  • Style System like DMC and Sonic Heroes. Switch between Speed moves and fighting moves. ✓
  • More Attacks ✓
  • Upgrade Perks
  • Chao Garden
Edited by Chaos-Fusion

And lets not forget "Sonic Legendz" by Khaotiz. There is too much legends going on in here, haha.

First things from those screenshots I notice:

HUD is far too big

Resolution is far too big

You really should stick with a native resoltion such as

320x240 (Normal Standard fan-game resolution)

427x240 (Standard Widescreen size)

You can get away with as small as 320x240 if you have a decent camera scrolling system. It's not like they're hard to make though is it.

If you want that just a bit more room, the widescreen 427x240 would be better.

Otherwise, 640x480 is bordering on the ridiculous.

There is some quite bad sprite mixing going on here too and with the 2xed background and normal sized tiles it looks all around odd. Bare in mind, you can solve the "looks too small" problem by making an option to 2x the entire screen from 320x240 which basically achieves what you have in your screenshot to an extent. Try to stay with one style of sprites. Mixing typically isn't good but it can be as shown in SonicFusion with the Carnival Zone from SonicCrackers. It can be executed properly but often but not isn't. Just be careful for your choice of color and sprite mixtures.

I haven't played it yet but once I do I'll give my feedback.

The game is fun. It has an interesting feel to it. The only complaint about the physics is that sonic decelerates way too slow IMO. My biggest issue, however, is the controls. Try to keep all the controls on a single row of keys, please -- using the spacebar as the lightdash button completely screws me up, and it just feels awkward.

I fell down a pit and didnt die, and had to restart the application....well, i didn't restart at that point, but you get the idea. It's very annoying to be stuck like that, so i closed the app. I enabled boost for one part of the stage, then got to the next part and it didn't work anymore.

My advice? Ignore the graphics, you seem to be pretty set on what youre doing now, and trying to downsize to "correct" resolution, and remove all the mixed sprites and shit like that, it'll only insure you never getting anywhere. If you feel the need to downsize a bit go ahead, but honestly, i dont think you should feel inclined to in any way. Besides, it doesn't bother me that much anyway. The only issue is when you're going fast, it's hard to tell where you are. But uh, i dont think any camera work can really help a 320 x 240 title. That has everything to do with not only the camera but how you design the stage to fit that tiny ass screen resolution, which just does not work with some of these fangames.

Edit: Oh and please, PLEASE, PLEASEEE avoid bottomless pits that kill you if you miss a lightspeed dash segment. If you're going to, you should make sure the player KNOWS they're going to die, and that they're forced to stop and look at the situation beforehand. And if you absolutely have to do it, make sure you stick a checkpoint very close to the spot.

Overall, this was actually pretty fun for me. I think you've got an interesting level plan going on, i actually found myself going backwards a few times to take a different path instead of the one i was on.

You can encourage more level exploration if you dont scare the player with random pit deaths, so please avoid those if possible. Also, don't make level progression RELY on Lightspeed dash segments, because if something happens and they're stuck without a way to start over, its an easy reason for them to just not play the game anymore.

Well, the resolution I used was intentional(PC game resolution like Jazz Jackrabbit 2 resolution I guess) and to change it now would require me to update a fair bit of designs especially the level design as many paths would get hidden by the view.

Regarding those issues that were mentioned, the death pit and huge light dash trail have been replaced with something else. Light dash has two mapping for players since Its easier for me to light dash with space bar. Oh and Boost isn't meant to recharge in level because it'll make the game much easier. Charging it will be revealed in later releases.

Some of this I should of mentioned in the main post so I'll update it.

Still, thanks for the feedback

• 1 month later...

This post is really just to keep my game alive due to the huge gap between updates. Anyway:

Techincal updates would be:
Minor bug and level design fixes
Control changed(Light dash is now "S", Boost is now "D" and Super is now "A" + "S")

Old screenshot:

Screens:
screenshot107vz.th.png
This is the tutorial. Basing it off Kingdom Hearts's tutorial. Also has "

" playing:stare: . Just shows and explains. I might change it from being a white light platform to something else

screenshot108z.th.png
The roll no longer rotates. Rolling won't work on rails anymore. The rotating Roll annoyed me. Reflections don't rotate. :smad:

screenshot110p.th.png
Ring trail at the end has being removed with this. Floor Collapses pretty fast but its not difficult(afterall, it's only the first level. Its not Sonic Unleashes EggmanLand). Dark Form has a habit crossing the area and not have any blocks fall. :squestion:
Edited by Chaos-Fusion

• 4 weeks later...

Main Post has been updated with the info

Video of an updated build and Info about Sonic - Light and Darkness

From the video:

Current build: 17/12/2011

Whats new:

Jump Ramps and Corkscrews(Not shown) have being added

RPG Menu (Not shown)

Chaos Drives to level up

Monkey Enemy from Sonic Advance 2

Lives icon changes depending on the form you take

Metal Sonic is going to be an easy Boss with 2 parts like SA3 with Gemerl. Also Metal Sonic is a minor character in the plot and will only appear in the prologue and side missions.

Features that weren't shown would be the RPG interfaces as they are still incomplete.

Anyway, After many delays due to personal life, I've started work again.

Extra: Normally, an attack on a base is usually near the games conclusion with difficult enemies and level design. The choice to use a base level was to break the norm of what most Sonic Games do by starting off with a Lush Level(Beach, Lush Hillside, Forest) or City level.

New release.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vbgfd05tvuga9uf

Yoyo Games link has been updated as well.

This version has all the new features listed and a few others.

• Internal Engine fixes(Ceiling jumping has being added)
  • Tutorial(3 Settings. one to skip it all, another to hear it all out and one to hear only some of it.) F1 will show the controls
  • Level layouts modified
  • Super Sound System is now being used
  • More RPG elements(Status Ailments)
  • Ground Attacks and Crates.

After this release, there will be only one more engine test of the finished engine. After that, there will be proper demos

There is no need for a resolution as huge as this. It's wasted space. It's especially not needed if a decent camera is programmed. Why do people use ridiculous resolutions sometimes. Sonic looks so puny from that size.

Alright then. I'll add the ability to change the resolution. This will only apply for levels as it will conflict with world maps and cutscenes and having to format them will add more to the work load of getting cutscenes right.

Old screenshot:

screenshot113i.th.pngscreenshot119g.th.png

But honestly, 320 x 240 like you said, may have wasted space but it allows the player to see whats coming further on. More chance to react. Those jump ramps I created, at 320 x 240, the player only has a split second to press A and get the jump when moving at extreme speeds which is extremely difficult. Good Camera or not

Edited by Chaos-Fusion

• 5 weeks later...

2 new videos

New level Mystic Ruins

Ideas for this so far is too mix in the Woods Zone with Hidden Palace when the character descends underground near the end of the video. Treetops in sort of inspired by Chemical Plant in terms of level layout with the long winding paths

Extra video showing the optional Mega Drive screen size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbUiPqgM0eA

Looks a lot nicer with that Megadrive screen size but you now need to make a decent camera to compensate for it's size. Games that have that resolution compensate the limited room by doing scrolling at least. I like where this is heading though. That small resolution change sparked my interest in this again.

Well, the resolution I used was intentional(PC game resolution like Jazz Jackrabbit 2 resolution I guess) and to change it now would require me to update a fair bit of designs especially the level design as many paths would get hidden by the view.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the 640x480 resolution. It's great for showing paths, as you say. But you have to be prepared to make some changes if you want to make a Sonic game in 640x480, since the two don't hang out much.

Gameplay needs to take into account that you can see a lot of stuff, and Sonic needs to encounter larger obstacles, larger areas, and so forth. Rather than every moment being full of discovery as the tiny screen stretches into a new place, there have to be more moments of decision as the player looks at what they can see in front of them, judges the best course of action, and takes that. Stuff like the pulley systems in Labyrinth Zone, the spinning platforms in Scrap Brain Zone, or the gears in Metropolis Zone could be used for much more intricate purposes in a higher resolution. However, that has to be a conscious decision. Spinning around endless loops and quarter pipes -- which suddenly look a lot smaller in the higher resolution, of course -- can't be all that the player does.

More immediately, you have to be prepared to make the screen look interesting. In this, 640x480 arguably takes more work than 320x240. Here are some screenshots that I think make decent use of such a large screen, in that they provide a lot of interesting (and, ideally, varied) things to look at without leaving great swaths of blank space.

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6616/screenshots/2/

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6862/screenshots/1/

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/6792/screenshots/3/

Compare those to, say, this one of yours. The background's not bad -- or at least it wouldn't be if it weren't so pixelated -- but it could certainly use a bit more complexity. The wall, however, is really boring to look at. The complex floor piping looks great in 320x240, but in 640x480 it only occupies a small portion of the screen and you have to bring the rest of the level up to that standard. If you want to work in 640x480, you need to make your levels a lot prettier, and a lot more complicated in graphics and level design both.

(It also helps tremendously to have a bigger sprite. Advance Sonic is designed for a tiny screen, and it shows.)

• 2 months later...

Well, here's an update from my holidays. I'll probably have a new demo out soon with the updates.

Bit of a warning, the volume may be a bit too loud and the video quality is the best I could get it since Game Maker and Recording don't mix well.

Anyway, the camera now shifts on your speed, trick jumps are easier, status ailments work along with the cures and the first level has being remade to be less shit. Other things have being added but I'll give a full description when I release the final demo.

Hey buddy, i like the style of hub world in your game!, but in gameplay i will give to you a little hint:

1. Try use only one style of graphics (Ex: Genesis is Genesis, ADVANCED is ADVANCED.)

2. Try make the hub, in the style of the Stage (Ex: go down)

eggcarnivalzone.png

But, your game is awesome friend =)

The hub world in the video is really just there to link you to the stages. In the full game (or later releases), you find the levels during your travels which are relevant to the overworlds map.

Graphics wise though, I've been warned about sprite mixing so I'm being careful when choosing zone sprites. Unfortunately, graphics aren't my specialty so a lot of levels are going to use placeholder sprites from official game art in the meantime till I can improve my artstyle.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback

The video is cool, I like the way you're putting it all together.

But I don't like how your level design is odd sometimes, and I'm talking about walls that should be apparently solid. Apart from that, I think you made good use of the space in the level.

PS. Fix your Checkpoint Post. I could've swore I was seeing double. This is a 2D fangame, you don't have to add two of them so Sonic passes between; it's just not necessary.

Honestly, i really like where this is going.

Word of advice: For the RPG aspect of things...you REALLY should make it known what your % chance of things are for important aspects.

Like, i saw in the menu in the youtube video, you used items to restore your Boost gauge and reduce the chance of Dark Sonic appearing. You should have a % chance visibly shown so the player knows what he's doing.