A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Another Sonic Before The Sequel Trailer

LakeFeperd

well... the spindash is the same one from sonic worlds =/

what i think that was overpowered is the peel-out (just press Up+jump and release, it sets you at the top speed) but in Fortress Flow Zone (sonic's water level) the peel-out is less efficient than the spindash, forcing you to change you strategy, if you want to get the good ending, of course

oh, yes, that's how you get the good ending in SonicBTS: Finish it as fast as you can... that means... no special stages... =(

and btw

for now its only more 3 or 4 acts to finish Sbts's levels, of course, there are 5 more bosses to be made and some more cutscenes but i can fininsh 1 or 2 cutscenes in a single day so that's not something im really worried about and everything is already planned.

also thanks guys. =)

It took me a while before I concluded that as well. But compare the way you play sonic 1 and sonic 2 and how depth is lost when the spindash comes into play. The whole concept of earning speed as a reward from skilfull play gets replaced by spamming the spindash whenever it's possible. Instead of having to accelerate yourself again, you spindash and jump, which everyone of you probably do as well.

....I've never heard anyone talk about Sonic 2's gameplay like that before. Last time i heard someone say that, it was talking about Sonic 4.

Current sonic games must be worse than i thought.

....I've never heard anyone talk about Sonic 2's gameplay like that before. Last time i heard someone say that, it was talking about Sonic 4.

Current sonic games must be worse than i thought.

Lol, I love the classics just as much as the next person. I just think people should realise that even if we got used and accepted the mechanics within our younger years , the gameplay could benefit from slight polish and improvements. We gotta take a step back and even be critical towards what we considered to be perfection.

For example, when you get hit by a hazard or trap in sonic 1, it does very much feel like a punishment. In sonic 2 and and the next games however(though overbound does have a point about 3&knuckles), the first thing you do is spindash and jump after. Especially with the ring system (which I think lake fepard also did well with having not too many rings placed in the levels, which sonicteam does like to do), it feels like you are invincable sometimes. Unless you do care about your ring count, theres little thrill when you are able to exploit the mechanics like that.

I made a quick video to demonstrate what I mean.

Now imagine this with rings more far between each other and no spindash. The pit would actually have some sort of threat

The new fans oftenly like to give the impression that sonic games had never been challenging and don't have to be challenging. I disagree, I think sonic 1 deserves way more recognition when it comes to this. Scrap brain zone is probably the most tense sonic zone you can go through. Plus we have save files nowadays.

I could also be wrong though lol. I mean this is just how I think about it but maybe I just have different taste.

Basically what i'm trying to say with all this is, lake fepard is doing a great job. If it seems a bit off topic, sorry mods.

(which I think lake feperd also did well with having not too many rings placed...

well... another unintentional thing =/

i dont know why it happens but if i place too much actives in the level the tile card stars glitching for some reason(maybe because there are too much objects... i dont know... im still a noob in MMF2)

i finally finished Titanic Tower Act 3 and being that we are talking about he spin dash and stuff, i made this section

FJSch.png

(please ignore those caterkillers)

using the spindash or the peel-out here will probably make you fall and there is no benefits from falling here

Its true though. Sonic 2's level are designed in such a way that, spin charge be spammed to an extent. Sonic 3 kind of fixed that with what I like to call back and forth level design.

Yeah, but....i dont think "spam" is the correct term. I've been "spamming" spindash ever since i could do it, which was forever.

And yeah, Sonic 3 introduced like 3 or 4 new mechanics to the game, 6 if you count Tails and Knuckles having unique traits. Spindash wasn't the only thing in the game anymore. Even though that's moot point because Knuckles had completely different levels than Sonic/Tails most of the time.

And uh, Lake, this is like one of the ONLY games on this forum i'm actually anticipating. It looks like you make constant progress and it's creative.

this back and forth level design... i think i know what it means and if it is what i think, Titanic Tower Zone uses it a lot º-º

and...

do you guys remember rocky ride's boss from the last demo?

kWKG0.png -> UlKgv.png

does it need more detail?

is it fitting the game now?

i also did the same with sunset star's boss(that big yellow thing in the boss battle trailer)

I personally think the boss looks fine.

Sunset Star looks really good! Does it go to night time in act 2 or something?

Rocky Ride's really makes me think of what Sonic's homeland would look like.

The second screenshot looks like your going into a kind of Tunnel or where two cliff faces are facing eachother.. kind of like the Rail Canyon boss where you go through the "Tunnels".. That would be pretty awesome ^^

"it also has 2 diferent second acts, an A and a B =P"

I've been thinking about that kind of feature, too. Does your Act 1 have two different goals?

Yes, this is the only zone in the game that actually have this

thats because i remade the 2º act of this zone because it was too short and for dont have to delete it i made this: if you finish the 1º act from the upper route you go to the short act but if you finish it on the lower route you go to the bigger one.