A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Skywind: Episode II

TailsSena

Here's my feedback:

As I told you, I'm loving the progress of your game, from it I can see how you evolved. I love the way you made your trail effect, and sidekick AI seems to work pretty well.

But here are the glitches I found:

1. You can't unpause (yeah... you already know that)

2. Camera bugs when you run down/up a wall

3. Sonic's voice clip while using Homing attack on an enemy just annoys the hell out of me

4. I apparently can move while the titlecard is still on screen

5. The HUD is too big :/

6. If you run up a wall and finds an obstacle, you'll stay walking for 1 second before you fall. I know that might be intentional, but that seems odd. It'd be better if you make this up or just remove it making the player fall instantly

7. Voice clips seem odd on your background music. Can't you amplify the samples using Audacity?

Nice Thanks for Playing screen, btw.

1. Working on it.

2. Working on it.

3. Should I use the ones from Colors then?

4. Fixed.

5. How so?

6. Removed the platform.

7. I did...

3. Probably. Make an experiment.

5. A HUD should be concise - it gives the player all the info he needs, plus allows him to see most part of the screen. If you are really going to leave it concentrated in one place (which is best), it should be smaller than 1/8 of the screen. The two pictures of the characters could be only icons along with smaller health bars, for example.

6. K. Make sure to remember this on yout other levels (:

7. Then your level music is too high... are you using midis? I suppose you are.

Technically a DP, I know...

But...

Would anyone object if I recolored Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles to be tanner like they where in Adventure 2? Personally, I thought they all looked best like that.

Now of course, this won't apply to Amy or Cream because Amy wasn't tan in that game and Cream not only has no skin to tan, but wouldn't anyway.

I'm also asking because this way it won't clash quite as much with another character's sprite sheet that while easy to edit, looks better the way it is.

Technically Tails wasn't any more tan, as he's covered in fur as well...

here's somewhat of a color swap of Sonic and Knuckles though:

SonicKnuxcolors.png

If this is what you mean, seems legit. Sonic wasn't really that much darker IMO.

Technically Tails wasn't any more tan, as he's covered in fur as well...

here's somewhat of a color swap of Sonic and Knuckles though:

[qimg]http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af48/GiriX/SonicKnuxcolors.png[/qimg]

If this is what you mean, seems legit. Sonic wasn't really that much darker IMO.

Yes that's what I was talking about.

And Tails' fur was darker orange... Like... Actually orange, as opposed to this silly yellow.

It's been a long time since I've been here, but it's cool to see something new. From the latest link posted by the author, the game handles pretty well, but I did see the camera spaz while going down a wall. The life system seems pretty interesting, is that gonna work like Tails and Eggman's levels in Sonic Adventure 2? If so, it could make final boss fights hell, lol. The only other problem I can think of is that the stage is too open for flying characters to get around, it needs more elevated paths and obstacles to keep this from happening. I would suggest looking at maps from the original games, and I found the site that has them. Here's the link to Mushroom Hills full map: http://www.soniccenter.org/maps/s3z71.png

For the rest, you can navigate through here: http://www.soniccenter.org/maps/?url=maps

The Length of the level is up to you.

Anyway, good luck on this son, I'll be lookin' out for it if I stick around.

x)

I saw what you did there with the tone changes, I even compared them using your last update, the only thing that I would change is the shine on Knuckles muzzle on the start screen, besides that, everything looks in place and all. and btw, what do you have planned for the gallery?

As for the level. Hmm... Your level design has changed a lot, but I still ended up cruising through the stage with Tails' flight ability, I did that in the old Sonic Flash game as well, and I haven't played any advance games recently, so I don't know if that makes flying characters normally broken, but it seems like it to me.

That Mettaur at the beginning always gets me, you should make it start a bit further away from the player spawn if that's something you're going to keep.

Not much else to say, but keep up the good work!

I was wondering what that spring was doing there XD. Now I have! Is he going to give the character a power-up or something? Oh, and I found out something about the wall running bug!

If you don't press anything while the character runs up or downward, the screen doesn't glitch, and it will start once you press left or right. So maybe it has to do with your input code?

It has to do with the X speed... Kinda sucks.

But anyhow. Rock may give you something someday when you destroy that capsule. I'm working on character abilities right now though. Amy now works the way she should, not spin-jumping.

Sonic can attack, but it's buggy...

Tails can carry people but it's EXTREMELY buggy. (Only works if they latch while teleporting to you...)

Have to say, TailsSena, your fangame is getting better each day. I have to admit that I was kinda surprised when I felt down to the left and instead of a bottomless pit I actually found an area to destroy an capsule, with a megaman sprite in there. But at the same time that the level design is getting better, it still have some terrible flaws in it and some like some forced plataforming that you have to do a few times that aren't much helpful since the engine seems so slippery some times and the game is also is easy as hell.

Also why is that everytime that you're going downwards in a straight wall the camera starts to shake?

The HUD should be smaller as well, that's just my design criticism, doesn't really affect gameplay. Cleberson is right in a way, the engine seems a little bit broken sometimes with the camera issues, some of the control imputs doesn't work sometimes and I felt like it was lacking precision in the gameplay. Even more because of the route you decided to go (heavy plataformming). Also you should give more attention to the design of your levels, graphics do matter and some of them seems a little bit off or some sections could use some bushes/trees/rocks, but whatever.

I'm only criticizing because I like it and I want to see it succeed. Good luck, man.

How so? Considering you're the first person to say this, I gotta wonder if you went and downloaded the very first version on page one or something.

Sorry... Really, i only posted this to help you, and keep your eyes open to bugs. (:

Sorry :tstare:

• 1 month later...

Off on a tangent here, how do we like my newest sprite edit? Still WIP.

He will be a new character in my game, along with 2 others I've yet to edit sprites for.

s0srB.png

Also, can anybody tell who I used as a base?

Changes made:

-Changed the entire palette

-Shortened the hair

-Widened the torso and visible arm

-Added a shoulder

-Turned the butt-shorts into pants

-Put on a real shirt

Changes left to make:

-Less feminine. Slightly

-Remove/remodel the hat

-Spread legs a bit

>He

>He

>He

>He

>He

>He

You're not talking about that lady you sprited, right? I mean, she either is a tranny or totally not a man. I mean, look at it, she has boobs. The outfit screams "woman" and the face don't help either, even her hair is femine as hell (it's pink).

I would say that this lady is as much of a man as Wolverine (X-Men) is as much of a woman.

Well to make it a male, you kind of have to remove her breasts first.

At the very least.

Edit:

Just a quick edit.

s0srB.pngattachment.php?attachmentid=1584&stc=1&d=1340837397

-Removed the tits

-Narrowed the hips (Strongest female feature on her. Male shoulders should match his hips at the very least, not be more narrow than.)

-Changed those pants (they were form-fitting her hips)

-Widened her face, made the mouth a pixel or two wider (typical difference in anime females and males)

-The neck too, a little

-Slightly less feminine bangs

Pretty simple stuff. Sorry if it's a bit rough, dont have too much time for it. I have no clue what the original sprite looked like, so i cant really do much else.

post-143-138639765329_thumb.png