A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SZ: SW Palmtree Parkway Discusion

Aikocho

Anything related to Palmtree parkway's graphics, designs, and music goes here.

Zone 1: PALMTREE PARKWAY ZONE

Music: Three remixes of Green Cliché (oldest version)

Alternate Music: Isolated Island/Door into Summer (Chaotix)

Miniboss: Giant Splats 2.0 (bouncing bunny enemy removed from Sonic 1)

Boss: Remake of Palmtree Parkway boss from Sonic Zero

Description: Starting off on the beach of Zero Island and moving inwards through the checkered hills towards the forest (zone 2) and city (zone 3) in the background, Sonic must weave his way through palmtrees, over sized totem poles, corkscrews and city-esquire gimmicks (seesaws from Star Light) in pursuit of Dr. Robotnick. The level is a mix of green level elements, and city level elements, with a short beach side starting section a la Sonic Advance. Flickies and other small animals frolic around in the first two acts. The layout of the first act, after you get past the newly added beach section, is remarkably similar to that of the 2009 demo.

Animals: All Small Animals (aside from Chirp, Tiger and Iggy)

To start things off, here is the artwork for the zone we have so far.

Foreground-1.png

Backgrounds.png

PalmtreeParkway-3.png

Level layoutpart1

Levellayoutpart2

Gimmicks: Swing poles(Mushroom hill) Grind rails(Sonic Advance1) Crumbling platforms(Sonic1) Break away rocks(Sonic3k)

Sorry' date=' still trying to pick my jaw up off of the floor. Anyways, I guess we're looking to expand variety maybe here?[/quote']

That would be my guess. But I would be lieing if I said, this game needs a lot of effort. GamerNerdAdvance made these all himself, and quite good no doubt, you have to praise him for that, but I'm only hoping this wont cause any friction for everyone else.

I like to consider myself more into the gimmicks and layout of a level than really someone who concentrates on the art itself (though I do love a good scene), so I'm going to take a few nitpicks at your graph paper drawings. Starting with just one tonight.

lameobstacle.png

Sticking a couple of moving platforms together really doesn't make for an interesting gimmick chain. For one, there's nothing innately hazardous about it. Also, floating platforms are sort of a lazy gimmick. They don't do a whole lot to keep the player moving. They make a good stop gap to join different gimmicks, especially when you want the player to have a little bit of time to think before moving along.

You might consider ignoring this advice because many of the official games do it, especially during early levels... but just think about some of the alternative ways you could perform this instead. Consider maybe a palm-top spring that can launch the player towards the up and down platform for instance. Having the player fight for the upper path is good, but generally having them wait for it... not so much.

There is a tool that I think has these shapes called B.I.D "Batch Image Deformer" that Damizean made which basically changes the shape of a single tile depending on shapes you have in the shapes folder, it kinda molds your one into them.

Me and Overbound use it all the time.

You can download it Here

This can probably be handy for people wanting to make other tiles for this project too.

Edit: I also looked at the BG and tried to make it not look like you simply flipped one half of the mountain to make it full.

BetterBG.PNG

I'm pretty sure I ruined it though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I like it,but it didn't keep me amused for too much time, maybe because of the lack of gimmicks/enemies, but still it felt a bit too much linear. Missed the mechanical parts I saw on the backgrounds above. (Yeah, Iknow it's a beta.) Same for the grassy ground replication on the BG. It doesn't fit; confuses with the rest of the background and seems strange in the sand areas.

The water also seems like clouds, you guys should revisit its graphics, and you should also make the water move, using SW's parallax. It ain't hard to do.

I literally only used the tiles made by GamerNerdAdvance and created the act from scratch using the Sonic Collab Worlds Engine and the MCKaosu's stage templates. The parallax came at last minute about 30 minutes before I uploaded. I felt that Act 1 would work best as a beach to grass area and that the city parts would come next act. Either way this was just an example from me pieced together.

• Like 1

Ah, I see...

Don't take that as a personal criticism, though. Apart from the linearity thing I said, I also gave suggestions about the graphics, and about the concept that I suppose you wouldn't have to care much about (:

The level just feels like there's somthing missing here and there... Maybe more graphics to go with the palmtrees and flowers.

Holy moly son, put it in a .rar next time.

A little notification of this to someone in the Zero team would have been nice too. Not going to spit in your face over it though, just that we've been working the last few weeks making (128x128, 256x256, and some other variations) level chunks for this zone, as a lot of things needed adjustment and positioning (like the corkscrews). I never even knew til today random people can jump into Zero and do something like this. I guess I'm just a little dumbfounded right now because I didn't really see this coming.

The level design, even with gimmicks, I have a hard time seeing being interesting. Part of this is because you seem to not have quite designed this with Sonic in mind, who only really gets.. one route. There's also some layer goofs with layers on the first cliff. The other problems I'm having is there's so much to explore, but only as Tails or Knuckles. I imagine that if there was moving platforms and stuff added, this would just lead to a lot of tedious platforming. Everything is -too- spread out to where navigation just wastes time. Also, it seems there's a lot of blind jumps, which isn't really good.

It feels like you took the tiles, and just made a twisty hilly level with them, rather than look at how levels like Green Hill and Emerald Hill placed their tiles.

I did like the idea of making another beach section mid level, however, definitely taking note.

That's pretty much my two cents. I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm just critiquing this as I see it.

Holy moly son, put it in a .rar next time.

A little notification of this to someone in the Zero team would have been nice too. Not going to spit in your face over it though, just that we've been working the last few weeks making (128x128, 256x256, and some other variations) level chunks for this zone, as a lot of things needed adjustment and positioning (like the corkscrews). I never even knew til today random people can jump into Zero and do something like this. I guess I'm just a little dumbfounded right now because I didn't really see this coming.

Sorry about that. I thought this was a community project at some point. So I believe now this is a private project that allows contributions from members. Correct me if I am wrong.

The level design, even with gimmicks, I have a hard time seeing being interesting. Part of this is because you seem to not have quite designed this with Sonic in mind, who only really gets.. one route. There's also some layer goofs with layers on the first cliff. The other problems I'm having is there's so much to explore, but only as Tails or Knuckles. I imagine that if there was moving platforms and stuff added, this would just lead to a lot of tedious platforming. Everything is -too- spread out to where navigation just wastes time. Also, it seems there's a lot of blind jumps, which isn't really good.

Contrary to that, I've actually designed the stage with Sonic in mind. However I can see how there seems like only one route. The 1st half of the stage was based entirely off of MCKaosu's sketches of the stage, whilst the second half I added afterwards. In most cases getting to the top route at least in the beginning would have Sonic hop over a floating platform and onto a seesaw with spike to launch him higher without the player waiting on a floating moving platform. The blind jumps were there because I hadn't just slapped a few floating platforms to allow access. Whoopsy.

It feels like you took the tiles, and just made a twisty hilly level with them, rather than look at how levels like Green Hill and Emerald Hill placed their tiles.

I designed the stage as straight-forward as possible less then the slightly vertical design of EHZ. Not sure about Green Hill though.

I did like the idea of making another beach section mid level, however, definitely taking note.

That's pretty much my two cents. I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm just critiquing this as I see it.

No problem, I can accept the criticism. If any I would like to help on Zero if possible? Thanks in return.

No problem, I can accept the criticism. If any I would like to help on Zero if possible? Thanks in return.
Well level design isn't much of a problem right now, I take care of that in my free time (which if any progress is done between October and December it'll take -all- my free time). I know Kaosu, GNA and I needs spriters though, especially for more poses of Tails, Knuckles, Kukku enemies, bosses, as well as tiles and concept for Amazing Arcade. We don't even have a 5th zone right now, so the project is open to suggestions. So far there's Palmtree Parkway, Electric Hill, Tidal Tubes (Neo Generic Garden), and Silver Stronghold.