A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Team Fortress 2 free!

Kirs

Isn't this because they've switched to micropayments? So although the base game is free, everything else isn't?

Actually, pretty much everything sans a few store-only items (stamps, etc) can be gotten without buying a thing from the Mann Co. Store.

Just to note, people who already bought the game get a hat as well as premium status right off the bat. Sure, they could've compensated people who already bought the game better, but TF2 was already dirt cheap anyway.

Oh, if TF2 is now free i now have an excuse to see what it is about.

*goes to Steam*

10 GB.

TEN GIGABYTES.

TEN GIGABYTES?!!

Well, I was going to try it out too, but 10 GB will take me about 2 weeks to download if conditions are ideal the entire time.

Never could get into Team Fortress 2. Not my kind of FPS.

I looked for some videos in Youtube, and I was going to say that, for free, even injections in the forehead are worthy. But I don't like FPS neither (except Halo) and I think I wouldn't download 10GB of a game while there are FPS games with less than 6GB and in very well detailed HD.

Well, I was going to try it out too, but 10 GB will take me about 2 weeks to download if conditions are ideal the entire time.

Damn I'm not even sure if my mom would let me leave the computer turned on for 2 weeks. Because I hate to pause downloads. And because, if I'm downloading such a big thing, I'd pause it almost all the time and forget about continuing it.

The 10 GB size is due to the sheer amount of updates and content patching over the years, to the point where even with Blu-Ray discs to store the date, neither the 360 or PS3 would be capable of playing TF2 as it is now on the PC due to the sheer amount of RAM required for all those weapons and hats.

The 10 GB size is due to the sheer amount of updates and content patching over the years, to the point where even with Blu-Ray discs, neither the 360 or PS3 would be capable of playing TF2 as it is now on the PC due to the sheer amount of memory required for all those weapons and hats.

blu rays hold 50 gb's easy

I should've been more specific, I said memory, as in RAM. Both consoles have too low a memory budget for TF2 as it is now, as stated by Valve themselves.

ah, gotcha.

Yeah the console ports of TF2 I hear are pretty bad, they get nothing compared to what pc users get, I don't even know how far behind they've been on patches lol.

The 360 port I hear is actually fairly good as far as console ports go, as it was actually in-house and got a sizable bug-fix and balancing patch, the only problem is that Microsoft never let Valve put out free DLC. Moot point now, of course.

The PS3 port? EA did that one, and it was horrible.