A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

2 New Sonic Before The Sequel trailers

Ohman, that space station zone at the end of the Gameplay Trailer is dead sexy. I can't wait to play it. ^_^

The bosses look wicked too. You should try and see if you can get a spriter to make them look as fun as they play. I'd offer to touch them up, but I'm afraid I'm already occupied with other projects.

Damn!I love this game!

Even re-played demo =)

Really grea levels!Backgrounds looks fantastic!

About bosses, think that them should be bit different in visual:Them both airships with the same face, but different color.

The Sphere boss is AWESOME!

Great work, man!

@squallff8

thanks

well, there's one more boss that will look like the exact same as Rocky Ride's boss the only difference will be the atacks and that it is a submarine.

They are like that because im not a good programer, so i try to use Sonic World's stuff in the best way as possible.

@moar about the bosses

There is a boss that i forgot to show in the video, but since it is still wip there was no reason to show it

ScpgZ.png

right now im making a boss for Metro Madness Zone(that zone at the end of the gameplay video) i'll show some screenshots of it later.

Hot damn this game looks awesome! I can't wait to play it. It's been a while since I saw a fangame that I got genuinely excited for. (Hence my silence)

Two issues, though. One is just nit-picky, I know, but it's weird. Why does Tails have a running animation rather than his traditional propeller spin? I can understand wanting to have something new, but that's part of his character.

Another thing would be the bosses. Don't get me wrong, they're incredible. No issues with the gameplay or anything, just the sprites. They're all pretty bland, usually solid colored or gradients. You should spice them up a bit. Even taking and recoloring bits and pieces of older boss machines would be better.

Either way, good job! And rep up, too.

@Spike

Well, there will be an option to change it and tails will "learn" how to run like that in the story.

if you noticed at the "gameplay" video the story happens between sonic 1 and 2 that means that tails doesn't know how to run like that yet.

And the bosses are not solid colored, maybe the video made you think they where because of the bad quality, just take look at those 2 screen shots

kWKG0.pngsDBrd.png

well, i did my best to make them and i dont know if i can do better =/

Well, I said "solid colored or gradients" because I couldn't tell due to the quality. You could improve them a lot by just splicing together pieces from old machines, like I said before. From Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, and Sonic CD, there are ENDLESS mechanical parts to choose from.

Not making any balloon juice, Sonic BTS IS pure awesomeness there. Congrats, Lake. You made an amazing job, I risk to say that you actually mixed modern Sonic with Classic Sonic (not comparing to Sonic Generations here). Making levels that you actually have to run without losing your entire control just made me have an orgasm there =X

Why do all the machines have eyes?

*looks at avatar and sig*

Ah must be something personal I see.

Well anyway, i agree that the sprites need more detail. They look a bit static and flat the way they look now. Give it some shading effects so they look to have more shape in them

Edit: Ah damn I didn't even compliment you in how I thought the rest looked great. The game looks really great. One thing about the stages themselves. Try and make them feel less empty and more alive. I don't know exactly why but in comparison to the originals, it felt a bit empty and lonely. Maybe more badniks and hazards might help?

@Jwiwo

i tried to make the stages less empty by adding more detail and badniks as well.

if that isn't enough i think i should add a little bit more. =/

Ehe eyes in the machines are just an reference to Stunt Race FX(the game on the sig)

@LH and Sparks

Thanks

and...

Ok, consider this as an updated version of the last demo i made for this fan game

i've also removed the old demo.

Here it is: http://www.4shared.com/file/q6sS32pL/Sonic_BTS_demo.html

- HillTop Heights Act 1 + Cutscene

- Star Shores Act 3 + Cutscene

- Rocky Ride Act 2 + Cutscene

- Rocky Ride's Boss

I think the glitches were the same ones from sonic worlds 0.5

I just played the demo. To be honest, I was a little disappointed with the first two acts. They were pretty bland. In the first, I didn't encounter one gimmick or enemy. Not a single one. I pretty much just ran forward and jumped on springs. With Tails' level, it got a little better. There were some enemies, and I had to do more than just run and bounce, but it was still empty and fairly short. However, when I got to the rocky level, things started kicking ass. Great level. There were a lot of momentum areas, plenty of hazards and enemies, all the good stuff. Not to mention that the boss was pretty epic. If you take all of the criticism you've got from us into account, this'll be the best fangame around, no doubt.

@Spike

In first topic of Sonic BS, Lake said the the first zone is something like Intro zone (Zero Zone).Thats why it so empty.

I liked that!Liked that feeling of free running and be sure that no one will hit you =) But i think its better indicate it somehow, 'cause if player playing the game first time it looks really comfusing "Why there is no enemies?"...Some thing like "RUN TIME" or something

Well, the truth it that a glitch happend in Hilltop Heights act 1 and 2 that prevented me from using badniks and that made me make the level like that.

now that my programing skills and my "sonic worlds skills" have increased a bit i was able to fix this glitch and there is no reason to dont add badniks now

8BJDY.png

see, thats and simple badnik that i call "The flying drill"

its simple but works well.

i still need to add one more badnik and when i do that i'll upgrade the demo here

So, i updated the demo now.

what i did was just add 2 badniks to Hilltop Heights one of those badniks just keeps floating waiting to be destroyed, i was actually trying to make a spike ball spin around he but i think it would be too hard for the first zone

here it is: http://www.4shared.com/file/NcJh4tw1/Sonic_BTS_demo_2.html

i tried to make it a little bit less empty, but i still think i should add something more(or not)

@Overbound

Thanks ^-^

I really enjoyed the demo and really liking the cut scenes however, aside from the boss, there were a few things that caught my eye.

The waterfalls in Star Shores were still.

Maybe put some animation in to give the level a bit more life.

Also, Rocky Rides ground seemed a bit to blocky.

Have you thought about rounding them out?

Both of those seem to be the only things about your game that kind of bugged me besides the boss.

My favorite was Star Shore as it had a great mix of matching graphics fitted perfectly.

The clouds in Hilltop were also another great thing about this.

Keep up the good work.

I just played the new demo

Amazing game. I love it. The level design is excellent, and these are just the first few stages (i imagine it getting more complex and challenging as you progress like most sonic games do). The little cutscenes are I think the best thing i've seen in a sonic game ever. That is exactly how I would imagine a sequal.

I still find the boss battleships to look a bit flat/bland as if they got no shape. The boss battle itself was great and challenging. Your music picks are excellent. Wacky workbench good future and collision chaos past, 2 of my favourites.

Badnik bouncing doesn't always work. I think this happens when you hold the jump button. I'm used to do that so it may be that what caused it. The stages feel very much more alive. I noticed that there is alot more going on than before. Props :D

@SonicFan2010

really? you mean by the graphics or the boss itself?

@snow toilet

i designed rocky ride to be like it is now i've also tried a lot of rock shapes and those were the only ones that i made the could fit the zone

@boss graphics

i'll try to upgrade the bosses a bit and then i post them here to see if they are looking better

Edit

@Jwiwo

there will be 12 zones in this fan game, 6 for sonic and 6 for tails and im trying to increase the dificulty not zone by zone but something like: Hilltop Heights(sonic) has an easy dificulty and Star Shores(Tails) have an easy dificulty too(hope you got that =/)

And i think i now why this is happening to some of the badniks, i can fix it but i will not update the demo again

about music, if you guys played the last demo you would have seen that each act has an different music (dont worry about the file size the whole game until now has only 50mb)

really? you mean by the graphics or the boss itself?
I guess he meant the graphics. I mean, don't get me wrong, I loved the game. But the bosses doesn't seems to follow the same design as well, I mean, they don't even appers to belong to a Sonic game. They need more metalic details, less "cartoon" faces. Also, they all seem too big for classic bosses where Robotnik usualy starts with a small machine, like a car...