A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Phantasy Star Online 2

Rawr

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What.

How Did You.

Ahhh. Fuck You Sereph.

Now pretend that that is in all caps (because I know its gonna get turned all lower case). But I am so jealous right now.

Like THIS jealous [iIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII] and thats like a full bar of health in Megaman or something. Edit: But I want you to know I still love you.

What.

How Did You.

Ahhh. Fuck You Sereph.

Now pretend that that is in all caps (because I know its gonna get turned all lower case). But I am so jealous right now.

Like THIS jealous [iIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII] and thats like a full bar of health in Megaman or something. Edit: But I want you to know I still love you.

Yeah Ila tried to rip my dick off the other day too, sorry guys x_x

I honestly thought you guys knew about it, but I guess it's my fault for not updating this topic about it. That really sucks.

Now, i know for a fact that if I get a character to Class lv10 in this alpha test, im guaranteed a spot in the Closed Beta. But i dont think that means they wont have another drawing for it. I guess ill look into that.

Also they warned us about being locked out the servers if they reach a certain capacity while trying to enter. So im sure everyone is going to bum rush the fuck out of the login servers the moment they turn it on around 2:00 AM tommrow, which they were going to do anyway.

Problem is, im not Japanese, nor am I in japan. I hope i can get in, otherwise im going to spend all fucking night trying to. (And it starts for EST Tomorrow around 2:00 AM....)

Haha don't worry I am not actually mad :)

Keep us posted if you manage to actually get on the server. I want to see some sweet vids.

Also, I kind of recall trying to access a page to sign up but no matter how many times I tried to connect it wouldn't let me. So I have no clue how you were able to get on it, unless it was just a problem on my end.

A battle with the dragon. I was the Fonewearl (wearing a Fomarl outfit)

This god damm boss had to be 100 times more fun to fight than it is to watch. And i had fun watching this from another perspective.

This doesn't even feel like the same people who made Phantasy Star Universe, honestly. This game is just too godlike.

That fucking Kamehamehadoken Dragon fire move at around 3:51 caught me by surprise. I narrowly escaped probably being OHKO'd by that thing.

Another video where im in the party, but not recording. Our party consisted of 3 rangers and 1 force (me).

I'll upload my stuff later.

looks pretty sweet.

I actually never played the first phantasy star online. I did however play universe, and portable 2, (and of course the god tier classics :3).

Portable 2 is pretty sweet, not amazing but I still play it every now and then. Universe was somewhat trash though. Especially since I played portable 2 first, and suddenly all of these features, controls and moves were just fucking gone, like the game wasn't even finished.

Any idea how if this could run on an older-ish computer, or if their going to make a console release of this? God damnit I don't want to get excited for this and then realize I can't play it.

My other main concern I guess is how accessible the game is. How easy it is to jump into a mission, and minimal patching. God I hate patching with this connection. Most MMO's give you the middle finger with a gigantic obnoxious patch every week, that can take me a solid half hour to download, and when you stop playing for awhile, you suddenly realize all your buddies are gone over-leveled, and it becomes a chore to get any sort of party going. I like phantasy star portable over that, Quickly jumping into the game, even after weeks of not playing the game, and diving straight into party oriented quests. Please tell me this game does this well so far.

Well this is PSO, the whole game is pretty much about being able to jump straight into some danger the moment you log into the game.

Wall-O-Observations:

The first thing we did on the alpha test was...well, we spent about 50 minutes (literally) finding out the menus, because there are alot of options and everything is in japanese. After this though, the game is basically just like PSO -- you jump into a mission, finish the mission, stock up, and you're free to jump into the next mission or join another party / go to your room / whatever.

My last few late mornings of playing this game until the sun came up? How to explain this....Imagine a game with the action aspect of a lite Devil May Cry title, the environmental beauty of a Legend of Zelda title, and the advancement satisfaction of your favorite RPG. Despite like 4 forest missions before we reached the cave, i was astonished everytime we encountered a new area. The weather changes, in real time ( as in, while you're fighting sometimes), and the changes are so smooth they're unnoticeable at first. But the art direction in this game literally lets you FEEL the storm coming. It may begin to rain. If there are water puddles in the area already, they will grow in size. If there is a flowing river nearby, it will literally obtain a current (and affect your character). If a thunderstorm appears, you can actually be struck by lightning. Ignore the low-quality texture placement you see in this game's screenshots. This bitch looks surprisingly amazing in motion.

The stage randomization is in layers. Not only does it completely randomize the level layouts, but it will actually randomize terrain placement within a specific level segment, which may cause you to not even catch that you've seen it before at first. But even should you notice, the placement of different objects will probably make whatever fight you get in pretty different than otherwise.

Like the original Phantasy Star Online, this game achieves the feeling of actually entering a new area well. The caves have multiple paths and, for the first time, introduce actual environmental hazards to the series. It actually adds platforming and a VERY decent amount of topography to the level, including very vertical platforming as well. Speaking of vertical topography, the enemy AI is vastly improved in this game, as they aren't easily hindered by either distance from spawn OR high ground (with some enemies like Savage Wolves able to instantly close the distance.) In fact i dont even think enemies in this game are even hindered by distance from spawn at all.

Multiparty areas....well, they're huge as fuck, and chaotic as fuck. We've been swarmed by so many enemies sometimes...during some interrupt events you can actually see them migrate to specific parts of the stage to attack you. Enemies here don't seem to follow a single spawn limit, so you can constantly run around here and get into battles. We once ended up fighting like 5 minibosses in one multiparty area due to being lost and just running around. (more than one time, it was two at once.)

The game, along with actually using a decent physics engine for character-environment interaction, follows suit with the combat by allowing for actual accurate collisions. For instance, rangers usually do pretty crappy damage with their bullets, but bullets that hit the head actually register more damage. Most enemies have at least one weak point, if not the head. Some enemies have them under their bellies, forcing you to knock them over first. Some enemies carry shields and negate damage entirely from specific angles. Some enemies actually require you to jump on their backs and smack them in a soft spot to do any decent damage at all.

I could go on for hours about how improved this game is over the others in the series. I really could. Don't even get me started on the music.

Edit:

Speaking of multiparty areas, a member recorded our experience with a few Japanese players. They were pretty cool.

I notice he didn't start at the beginning of when we entered the area. We were probably in there for a good 15-20 minutes before he even started recording this part. Yes, the area was that huge.

Hopefully you can see some of the carnage that takes place in these areas. (The lag spikes were particularly bad at this point.)

Looks like all my hype and blind faith since day 1 is well worth it. You keep making my hype levels rise even more I can barely contain it man. SEGA needs to get this over here as soon as Japan gets it, or I will cry. A Lot.

Im guessing that player didn't know some of the sword moves were chargable.

see that charge bar on her HUD where the attack buttons are? It usually takes like 5-6 seconds to fully charge a sword Photon Art, but the more you use regular attacks and the more that fills up, the more time is cut for using them, so when it's full like how she had it, should could basically charge to Lv.3 attacks in an instant.

Im guessing she didn't know, because Lv3 Launch skill is badass. I think that charge bar is exclusive to Swords though. Makes me wonder what they have in store for other weapons.

The spinny sword skill can't be charged, but as you can tell, at the beginning of the video it only has one impact wave when she uses it. Towards the end, you can see 3 waves that expand pretty far when she hits the ground. When my hunter gets that meter full, I feel like a freaking combat combo god.

So far, you can only choose between one outfit and a color or two.

ATM it's like PSU's customization, except you can't really choose between top/bottom/shoes or whatever, so it's like choosing between different full-set clothing options. The color choices are also limited. I dont know much about cast customization, but i know they do have different parts.

But you'll probably spend like 30 minutes on the character creator. It took PSU's character creator and pretty much added micromanagement for everything.

As for whether or not the clothing options will increase, the suit you chose (Humar vs Ramar vs Fomar) actually had different status effects on them, but the players complained that it stopped freedom so they removed it. In the equipment menu, your current suit is shown as kind of an icon. So yeah, they're probably going to do something with it.

The units you equip on your outfit show up on your character, and complement the outfit you're wearing ( as well as changing to your color scheme). So this is probably why the fleshie color options on clothing is so limited. Everything you equip that's visual can show up on your character, and MAGs do the same (just like on PSO, except they seem to have specific MODELS depending on your outfit.)

They may change it, but at the moment i guess it's just not in the game. The MAG option is on the menu but cannot be selected, and we're still missing a few Sex/Race specific outfits. (Like Newman Ranger.)

• 1 month later...

This son of a bitch is coming to Playsation vita apparently.

I don't see myself buying a new machine to run this game, but if they can get the game onto the vita, I don't see why they couldn't get the game on ps3 or xbox.

*fingers crossed

Then again, I wonder if it will even be released statewide. I'm still waiting for PSP2-Infinity... (though that was probably never released here due to the poor US sales of the PSP, more then anything)

This son of a bitch is coming to Playsation vita apparently.

I don't see myself buying a new machine to run this game, but if they can get the game onto the vita, I don't see why they couldn't get the game on ps3 or xbox.

*fingers crossed

Then again, I wonder if it will even be released statewide. I'm still waiting for PSP2-Infinity... (though that was probably never released here due to the poor US sales of the PSP, more then anything)

This news yesterday pretty much has me pretty excited to snag a vita, I really do hope they port the game over, it would be really effing nice to log into the servers from a vita and play my same characters