A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Phantasy Star Online 2

Rawr

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen up!

Beta starts in about 5 hours. The game will have multiple ships to make your character on, but the ships do NOT share characters.

The official PSO-World ship is Ship 2, just like in the Alpha Test. This pretty much makes it the Official ENGLISH PSO2 ship.

tl;dr everyone make your characters in Ship 2 or you'll be playing alone (or with tons of Japanese players.)

Edit:

Oh yeah, Block 20. There are like a bajillion blocks. I dunno how much they changed the ship, but the teleporter to the far right when you first enter the ship should be a Block Transporter.

I probably won't be able to play until Friday at the earliest, finishing up some stuff in time for the con next week so I'm a bit tied up (plus I got super long freight shifts tomorrow/Friday and helping out my sister with some website difficulties at her job)

But I am super excited.

Pffft I'm the king of japanese menus at this point, i've played so many japanese emulated games and a bunch of other shit >.>. I even played in the fucking dragonball MMO beta (hell yeah!) so I'll figure it out lol.

the real kicker is inviting people and joining parties WITHOUT blacklisting everyone.

We probably took more time than we should have. But the rest of the menus are pretty self explanatory.

Also, patch server is up. Go ahead and patch, the servers will be up in ab out 20 minutes.

Patching the game before work, I'll be up for playing in about... 7 hours maybe? In keeping with long standing traditions, I will play a female character. Not sure which class, but probably one where I can style the hair like a human Rarity.

Hmm, so far I'm enjoying the beta, but I can't help but feel that the language barrier is really screwing with my overall enjoyment. I'll put in a little more time after the server maintenance. Made a newman ranger for now, I'm going to make a few other classes later.

Sorry if anyone needs help in-game or something, i can try to help you out.

The english population spent almost a whole day trying to learn to get into the caves. Apparently mission progression is dependent on the story progression.

Which PROBABLY wouldn't be such a huge issue if i understood japanese and didn't have to guess everything. Anyway, i got to level 12 and got my Mag. I also moved up on the skill tree enough to unlock the Gear Gauge for the Partisan.

For Hunters:

**BTW, since most people dont know or realize, The Gear Gauge was that little orange bar that filled up as you used your weapon in the other versions of the game. It was removed as a default weapon feature in the Beta and put on the skill tree, i guess to force you to sort specialize in a specific weapon. This is what i remember from the Alpha:

Sword - normal attacks fill the gauge, gauge depletes only with combat inactivity or blocking. Depending on how many bars are filled (1-3), either a) your attack will gain power or visual range, or B) the amount of time needed to charge the move will be significantly lower.

Wired Lance - Normal attacks fill the gauge, and i THINK it only depletes if you use a photon art. Depending on the amount of bars filled, your Wired Lance PAs and Grab Moves will increase in strength, and i THINK using one photon art will deplete all your charges.

Partisan - Using the Twirl Feature fills up the gauge manually, but at the end of every attacking animation there is also an extended animation where your character twirls the weapon, and it will fill one bar (at the cost of longer recovery of course, but you can cancel it easy). Using a Photon Art will increase the strength and range of the PA and consume one bar. Number of charges dont matter.

In order to use this feature on the BETA, you need to obtain one of the weapon Gear Unlocks off the skill tree. They have a silverish background, with the specific weapon icon and a picture of a gear on them. I kind of wish i obtained the Sword, because there are 2 new PAs i didn't get to use in the Alpha, but Partisan is pretty neat too.

Also, the Emergency City mission was fun as FUCK and really makes me excited for later missions in this game. The city was actually interactive. I blew up a car, it did 480 damage and killed me. Then I used gunslash to blow up a car in a group of enemies, and it did significant damage to them as well. There are switches around the city that will open up turrets that fire on enemies facing a specific direction. You can activate them more than once.

Also, it's pretty old news, but it's just an interesting feature of the game -- in pretty much every area in the game, if the enemies don't know you're there, and there are Natives and Darkers (black crawling creatures) in the same area, they will actually attempt to kill eachother until you show up and they doubleteam you. It really shows how far the AI has come in the Phantasy Star series.

Also, once i got the Rockbear Boss mission, i was in a multiparty area with a guy who brought 4 NPCs to battle with him, and we had a Code : Attack do Changeover code into Code: Duel, and a Rockbear showed up. God damn that was fun. Took all 6 of us to bring him down, and in the middle of the fight 2 of the NPCs unleashed Mag Blasts on him.