A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Phantasy Star Online 2

Rawr

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, it probably is too late to get in, but yes i believe you can still sign up. Scroll up the topic to find the place to do it. There were 100,000 spots, but apparently 40k people signed up by the time of the last announcement, not including us Alpha2 Players who have guaranteed spots (which should be the vast majority of us.) I dont know if it's sped up or slowed down since then. But it doesn't matter for that link above -- you don't need to be accepted into the beta to use the character creator. In fact i dont even think it connects to the internet.

The options take some getting used to but honestly they're all quite self explanatory.

Some stuff i remember from the Alpha:

Protip - the proportional slider with the options on each end that is used on the Face/Body are not required. You can manually morph all aspects of the face those 2 particular sliders control. (For instance, the Body Proportion Slider alters the body for you, but you can manually alter height/girth/arms/legs/skincolor/ect yourself on their respective sliders. This is useful because those are really the only aspects where not knowing japanese will screw you over, but you can micromanage all that crap anyway.

Protip 2 - The main button to really avoid is one towards the very bottom that Randomizes your character. If you press it, don't rage; theres an Undo button on the bottom right of the screen, if you didnt notice.

www.Bumped.Org

Go here for additional info on the creator. In fact, if you're interested in this game, check back with this blog frequently. He stays on point with all the updates.

My computer got like a 790 score, but with the shaders off i can easily get much higher. I played on relatively high settings on the alpha though and it didn't bother me too too much.

Game runs like butter on my comp. The character creator is actually really nice, of all the extensive creators in games, it's probably my favorite. The sliders are very easy to manipulate and you usually get an icon of what exactly you're morphing.

EDIT: sega would be incredibly stupid not to bring this game to the US at all.

http://psumods.co.uk/archives/forums/comments.php@DiscussionID=40&page=1.html#Item_0

Requires Ambition of the Illuminus, and it only requires a small bit of tampering with files to get working. I'm waiting for my copy of Ambition to arrive ;D

I'm still tinkering around with this site, it looks like they're in the middle of a transition to a new website format so it's going to be harder to figure out what exactly teh process is, but I'll let you know once I've figured it out.

Copy to arrive?

P-Bay dat bish

I bought PSU PS2 and AotIPS2 both when they came out, and Sega nuked the servers. No intention of paying again.

Ill see if i can get this running though...boy i dont care much for PSU since ive played PSP2i and PSO2, but being able to play again with the Pserver staff hopefully fixing a ton of dumb shit Sega never bothered with....sounds like a great idea to me.

Im kinda excited. How well does the server run? I'd imagine PSU was a pretty complicated game to get running correctly.

Looks like the servers are down for maintenance currently, and this project is rather newish, but apparently when they're up they're relatively stable with a few features not quite working yet, if you poke around the forums a bit you'll see more information.

http://psumods.co.uk/archives/forums/comments.php@DiscussionID=40&page=1.html#Item_0

Requires Ambition of the Illuminus, and it only requires a small bit of tampering with files to get working. I'm waiting for my copy of Ambition to arrive ;D

I'm still tinkering around with this site, it looks like they're in the middle of a transition to a new website format so it's going to be harder to figure out what exactly teh process is, but I'll let you know once I've figured it out.

Is this a private server?

I hate the cast designs in PSO2. They looked so much better in PSO when they were more...bionic looking? PSO2's casts look ridiculous for battle machines IMO.

They're always either too Bulky, too pointy, or too obsessive. I enjoyed the older ones where they were much more streamlined and practical looking.

I see no real issues with this. the cast designs from PSO were borne of limitations of the dreamcast. why stick entirely to that when you have PCs that are several times more powerful than that now? Besides, I'd actually hate it if they DIDN'T get wilder and more interesting to look at.

It's just a matter of taste i guess.

Phantasy Star seems to have transitioned from a sort of unique stylish (PSO, PSU v1), to anime trendy (AotI, PSP), to just plain anime cliche (PSP2, PSP2i) as of recent. PSO2 seems to be stuck somewhere inbetween anime cliche and trendy. The outfits are much more conservative than Portable 2 Infinity but still far more exaggerated and 'out there' than PSU was, which managed to have a whole wardrobe of original outfits to wear without really resorting to underboob and bare skin to turn an eye. I dont mind the PSO2 outfits very much, in fact i think some of them are pretty neat. But it just feels like they're trying a little too hard to adhere to some kind of "futuristic anime" guidelines that mandate all robots to have obnoxious bulges and spikes protruding from them and all "elves" to show unnecessary skin.

As for CASTS, I like all the Female designs L O A D S better than the male ones, which is surprising to me. They all seem to 1) look like robots, 2) have humanoid figures and 3) look plausible with a weapon.

MALE cast designs, on the other hand...they all looks stupid to me. It's like a choice between a Gundam, a futuristic jet engine and a weaponized refrigerator. Oh, with a choice of vacuum cleaners for legs. They didn't include any "NORMAL" designs at all, nor do any of the races have any unique animations, which just makes them look even stupider when you run around with their giant bulky asses -- the same issue they had on PSP2.

I liked the PSO casts better than the other ones because....i dont know. They didn't look like refrigerators, they looked like...androids. They had a humanoid shape, with humanoid muscle groups surrounded by conforming armor, with distinctively robotic faces to help drive the point home. To me, this made them look more advanced, intimidating and powerful than any human with super huge muscles or any PSO2 Cast with obnoxious hunks of geometry plastered everywhere.

I think it was the fact that PSO Androids distinctively had "muscles" on them that made them look both more powerful and advanced to me. PSO2 casts just have a bunch of random shit going on that doesn't really translate well into the skeletal animations and just throws the whole feeling off.

2D: Actually I wasn't part of Minority Squad. That being said, looking forward to it.

Right.. I think it was Roy, not you. But still, I remember playing PSO with you quite a bit, years ago. Either way, it'll be great to game with you guys again.

who's roy

The official blog was updated today with dates for the closed beta and some info on FUN. The closed beta will run from

4pm on 4/19 to 11pm on 4/28

Starting today and going right up until the 19th, staggered emails will be sent with to the particiapants with details on how to download the client. If you don't get your email right away, don't worry. It'll be in your inbox by the 19th.

As some of you may already know, FUN points exist in PSO2 in addition to AC and meseta. FUN can be earned in several ways:

Send and recieve "Good Jobs" (limited amount per day)

Finish a quest using friend partners / be used to finish a quest as a friend partner

A rank based reward

A percentage of AC spent in-game will be added your total FUN points

"Good Jobs" can be sent from the character menu.

You can attach comments to good jobs too.

FUN can be used in the FUN Scratch (Gacha). None of the items in this gatcha are cash shop items though. Some of the items you can get from the FUN scratch are:

Room decorations

Music Disks

Hair Style and Accessory tickets

Mag devices

Additional lobby action tickets

3 day My Room tickets

Weak versions of the AC boost items

Grinders & Synthesizers

FUN items can be traded between players unlike AC items.

Did u guys get anything?

I got min-*shot*

I think I just got my invite, just gotta run this e-mail through google translate lol.

EDIT: totally got in, April 19th can't come fast enough >.<

If you guys are having trouble locating the download for the closed beta, look for the manual url on the CBT website, you'll find the downloader there