A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Generations Thread

Kirs

So am I.

I just took a look at some footage from the 3DS version. The design of the Classic Sonic levels from the Classic Era are

exactly the same of the old ones. Classic Green Hill and Classic Mushroom Hill just made me so excited. I mean, remakes are remakes and seem unfair for Sonic Generations if SEGA already made new leveldesigns for the HD consoles, but still, DAMMIT, I'd like to play this version too. So bad I don't own a N3DS.

Video:

Source: Power Sonic; The Sonic Stadium

That version actually doesn't look half bad. I see lots of little glitches but the game def. looks pretty good.

edit:

If you want semi spoilers on the stages....

i skipped to some of Modern Sky Sanctuary, and holy shit the levels actually have branching paths. Fuck, this actually looks really good.

This shit looks like fucking HD Sonic Adventure, maybe it's just an illusion but the way the stage is setup looks like there are ALOT of places he could fall and be somewhere completely different.

Edit: Nope, sold. Just watched full playthrough of Sky Sanctuary, i think these fuckers finally get it. Not only is the stage beautiful, but it actually has substance. As in, no longer feels like just a 7 mile long track, but actually a platforming stage with fast moments.

Edit:

Hey bitches, im seriously having a fan moment right now. This game ACTUALLY looks good. The more Aaron plays the game, the more excited I am.

Edit: i dont know if they improved the graphics since it was last shown, but i take back what i said about Seaside Hill, shyt is gorgeous. And once again, is showing true multiple paths from the start of the level.

I agree with all that Sereph say.

When I saw this I was really....just amazed.

Classic sonic looks amazing,though I'm not too much into classic.(not saying classic sucks,it rules just as modern)

But as soon as I saw modern Sky Sanctuary......I was just speechless,They finaly did the thing I wished SEGA would do.They finaly fucking have multiple paths in it,and it plays a bit more like sonic adventure,not just "hold boost to win".Don't get me wrong,I loved sonic unleashed and colors,but this just wins them all.

I'm so happy to hear that Sega's doing things right this time. ^_^ They had similar success with Sonic Colors, so I wonder if they've finally gotten the perfect formula down for 3D Sonic titles. I also find it quite awesome that there's going to be a PC release. =D

I guess the next step is for them to shy back into having multiple characters, such that they can design stages with multiple paths designed for specific characters to get to. One spikepiggy step at a time. :3

Exactly. They can just take babysteps and piggyback off this design. Everyone keeps the same max speed:

Sonic: keeps the boost ability

Tails: Flying/Swimming

Knuckles: Climbing/wall breaking

Make vertical areas that only tails can reach, and sealed off areas only knuckles can reach. Bam, classic new sonic game.

Ineed,agreeing with Strifes and Serephs posts,I really wish they would bring back some more characters as playables.

In the more recent sonic games,there haven't been much playable characters besides sonic. (I mean,in the main series games,not the spin-offs)

They should keep the characters as they were in SA1/2. Tails should run and fly on his paths,Knuckles should be able to climb and glide,and I wouldn't even mind a treasure hunting game as long as they keep the master emerald pieces findable. And Shadow should be like in SA2.

I know fans have complained about sonic 06 having too much characters (Elise was stupid,but Silver was pretty cool imo),but I think it would be cool to see some more playable characters these days,and I think thats what sega should do with the future games.

My issue is that they were adding playable characters for the sake of fanservice instead of gameplay.

In Sonic Adventure, every character had their own objective at least, with characters like E102 being completely different than the others. I had an issue with Tails/Knuckles gameplay in SA2, but looking back on it, im actually really impressed that they were so diverse with the type of gameplay they added into the game. Not to mention, Cannon's Core was like my favorite stage in the game, and Sonic's segment was the shortest of all of them.

But recently, Sonic games have been moving away from platforming and more towards abusing specific parts of the game, which was a mistake in my eyes. Sonic Unleashed was the first game IMO to actually take that new direction and really bring it into something that is it's own. Colors expanded upon that, and Generations looks to expand it even farther.

IMO they really aren't far away to a real realization of 3D sonic gameplay at this point. They just need to further realize true 3D exploration in the gameplay. Giving Sonic the boost, but adding 3D segments that actually use the X Axis was all they really needed to do. Add some vertical exploration, a bit more momentum and more Sonic Adventure 2-ish mini puzzles and you're there.

Maybe it is based off the original bad giy from Sonic 1 then?

Sonic_Gems_300.jpg

Thats the concept art for Sonic 1, Back when Sonic's aim was to save Madonna. And Robotnick appears to be some sort of bee xD.

But if it based on that then it's pretty cool that they went really back to there roots and dragged out unused content. Thats about as "Classic" As it gets.

Perfect chaos looks awsome! and Classic Sonic wrecked Metal sonic ^^

Badnik names in order of left to right:

PluggleButtz

CarpelBat

PhallicCannonBallerina

... purple... thing. I've got nothing.

Hamburger Harmer.

I just played the new demo and it was......awesome!

I didn't really notice any changes in the classic gameplay from the demo they released in July,The spindash is still like..woah a bit too energetic.

And modern is really amazing,the controlls actually work.Sonic unleashed and colors controls are shit compared to the ones in generations,sonic moves so smoothly and does not get stuck(I sometimes have that problem with sonic colors,sonic doesn't really get stuck,but he sometimes moves really stiff or hardly),and he isn't so slippy like in uleashed.Really this game has great controlls. Probally the best ones since Sonic adventure.

And freaking omochao is back -__- It is kinda cool that they brought it back,but while playing the classic act it annoyed me like hell and I wish I coulda have beaten it up.

Didn't play the demo yet; seems like it won't be available for Brazilian Xbox LIVE for a while. But I'll wait until the first week ends and I'll grab it using my sister's American profile.

And freaking omochao is back -__- It is kinda cool that they brought it back,but while playing the classic act it annoyed me like hell and I wish I coulda have beaten it up.

Let's hope we'll still be able to grab him while he says "Hey, stop it! Let me go." in the middle of an ingame explanation, then throw him on lava >:3

you know i recently actually bought Sonic Unleashed for PS3. I got it mostly for the day stages.

...you know, listening to all the bitching about the werehog, i was expecting it to just be completely terrible. But honestly, i find myself thoroughly enjoying the Werehog levels of this game, coming from someone who actually has never completed a God of War title before.

I don't think this game got enough credit for what it's worth. Of course the day stages are amazing to play through, but the werehog sections make for some pretty fun platforming segments, and the combat engine is actually surprisingly polished. A few aspects can get annoying, but nothing that I can't completely overlook. Aside from the first werehog stage taking like 16 minutes to complete for me, and a few pretty terribly placed checkpoints, id say Sonic Team did a wonderful job with this game.

The biggest thing's id change about this game is 1) a few terrible framerate issues, and 2) i'd remove the werehog battle music, since the level tracks in this game are orgasmic. Honestly if it wern't for a few framerate problems, i'd have little problems with the werehog sections of the game.

Sure, they are much longer than the day sections, but they aren't bad. At least, no worse of a departure than the Shooting segments of Sonic Adventure/SA2.

funny you should mention the music, I just downloaded the soundtrack yesterday for some reference music. I love the night time tracks so much more than the daytime ones. Apotos night has the sweetest bassline in VGM since Toejam and Earl.

I found the werehog stages to be a bit clunky, but they were otherwise challenging in a good way. But the worst part of Sonic Unleashed (besides chip or whatever he's called) is the fact that Sonic is just TOO fast. They've got his speed at a good level in SG.

Agree with Sereph again,sonic unleashed is awesome.

I think the werehog is okay,I personally enjoyed it.

It gave the game it's charm,without the werehog sonic unleashed wouldn't be the same,neither would it be better.

Though I have to agree about the problems Sereph mentioned.