A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Time Twisted - New Video Trailer

OverbounD

• 2 weeks later...

Metal-Boss.png

After a month of agony I finally finally fixed the background for my intro boss. I looked everywhere for the cause. Let's just say the solution was very simple and left me feeling rather silly.

Time-Travel.png

The system for time travel is also functioning. I still need to create the transition effect. However now that I've figured out the surface issue with the background above it will make this job a bit easier. It's next on my list to tackle.

I really like the tiles you have in the second picture; it's a perfect example of how colors influence other colors (in terms of it being interpreted as darker or lighter).

Two questions:

-if I may ask, what was the problem with the BG anyway? And,

-is that Sonic spinning aroun the Time Post? If yes the you get +9 respect points

Yes Sonic spins around the time post you can press the opposite direct to skid to a halt if you want to cancel your travel and you have to have a speed equal to 6 or greater to travel so you can walk by it if you'd rather.

This is not something new to Time Twisted. You can view it in action in my old demos from 2010 and 2009.

As for the background. It is drawn to a surface so that it can be rotated at the angle you see. When I originally designed the background I did so in a very small test room and just set the surface to room_height and room_width. When I ported it to the larger level sized rooms I forgot to change it so GM was trying to draw a surface the size of a level. Yes, it took me a month to figure this out. -_-

I love the tiles floor, goddamn, Overbound. Stop making this game look so delicious.

Can't say much about anything else, since we'd need to see in video or .gif both the boss intro and the time travel.

btw, Those clouds in the second bg look like they should be in 3D (like Sonic CD intro) or should have bit more definition. Other than that, looks beautiful, OB.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Pedro. I agree about the 3D effect in fact it's something I plan to do but just haven't gotten to yet.

Attraction Attack Past is nearly complete:

AAZPastLava.png

Just have to layout rings a make some modifications to badniks.

I've stopped working on it for a few days to focus my attention on Frigid Fortress Act 1 Past. I've polished off the tiles for it and build about half the layout. I'm putting it in GM tomorrow and I'll give you some screenshots when that happens. DW is also going to be working on some gimmicks for Frigid Fortress Act 1 Past so I'll show them off as soon as they are finished as well.

In other news Mecury has agreed to port out the existing time twisted levels into large PNG files which I can use in GMS. I won't be using most of those levels for the main game but they will make for some very interesting extras.

Sparks of Sonic Zero fame was kind enough to take Perplex Puzzle off my hands and design the zone. It's going to be a mix of the Perplex Puzzle you see in the 2010 version of Time Twisted and the 2012 version of Sonic Zero's Tidal Tubes. The level will be titled Tidal Tubes now in honor of Sonic Zero and because it makes more sense.

And AeroGP has used GMS' new shaders to create some great palette shifting effects.

Progress Progress!

• 1 month later...
not to sound rude but should you change the story a bit? i mean b/c Sonic CD takes place after Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (& Knuckles) and all... well according to sonic retro...

"fangame"

And im sure Sonic CD was developed either after Sonic 1 or alongside Sonic 2. judging from sprites and lack of spindash animation.

• Like 1

Yeah any Kirby fans out their my recognize some similarities to a Kirby badie. I modeled  the hat after that Kirby sprite. Plus a mole badnik was featured in Madcap Grotto as well as Sonic 3 and Knuckles. He's a versatile little guy and in addition to mole badniks within stages. A mole badnik will also act as Metal Sonic's right hand man and operate some of the bosses, playing a similar role to the Eggbot in Sonic 3. This idea came about because of the mole operating the Flying Battery in Sonic & Knuckles. I figured if the mole could pilot Flying Battery he may very well pilot other things as well.

Guest Mr Lange

"fangame"

And im sure Sonic CD was developed either after Sonic 1 or alongside Sonic 2. judging from sprites and lack of spindash animation.

Yes it was developed after Sonic 1 and around Sonic 2, that doesn't determine it's place in the timeline. I also put it after S3&K, just before Knuckles Chaotix. There's a lot of things that imply this.

Not really. The truth is that they probably never gave it a second thought about where it fit into "the timeline". But if we're to have this discussion what about "see you next game" and the fact that Sonic hadn't learned to spin dash properly yet. "But Overbound that's just a game mechanic" Yeah it is but if we're going to start debating about timeline placement for a game in which a timeline placement was likely never given consideration then nothing really counts because they didn't consider it to begin with. But let's not forget that Sonic CD was supposed to come out before Sonic 2 either.