A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Spectrum Chase

Strife

I really need to try this out now.

And about the pausing, there's an easy cheap trick for pausing your app. Throw in a Sub Application object.

Then, create a frame that will be the pause screen. Make the frame's dimensions lower than the app's window size if you want a "pop-up" style pause box. If you want a full-screen pause menu (for inventory, status, map, I dunno) leave the frame size at default.

Now, the sub app has several properties you can use, such as system borders (which won't be necessary now). Check the Popup Window and Modal properties. Then, in the visibility tab, uncheck the Visible at start option.

Set the source of the subapp as "frame from this application", choose your pause frame. Then, check the "Share Global Values & Strings" property. (Lives and scores too, if you use these objects.)

The subapp object will now have the exact size of the subapp frame. Position it on your level frame so that it pops up where you want (remember to turn off the scrolling option so that it'll always show up, just like with HUD elements).

Now, make the events to create the pause menu, example when pressing the P key:

+Upon pressing "P"
---*(Sub-App) Restart application
---*(Sub-App) Show

//Don't worry, Restart application won't affect the main game, only the pause
//frame, which is treated as a complete separate app. (Likewise, to "close"
//the pause menu you have to use End Application on the subapp's frame)
//"Show" is in the visibility actions of the subapp object.

The modal property of the subapp will instantly pause your main frame. BTW, the modal property is for the app only, not the system (so you can still click other programs' windows when paused. If you use system borders you can make the subapp system-modal.)

Now you can make your pause frame events. As I said above, remember that said frame is considered a separate app, so use "End application" from storyboard events to close the popup.

If you want your game to take actions when exiting the pause menu, use a global value (remember to check the share values property) like this:

//Set a global value "ReturnedPauseAction"
//In the pause frame assign values depending on the highlighted option:

+(Player 1 presses "Confirm" while the Resume option is highlighted)
---*End application
//again, this is in the subapp frame so it won't kill your whole game

+(Player 1 presses "Confirm" while the Restart Level option is highlighted)
---*Set ReturnedPauseAction to 1
---*End application

+(Player 1 presses "Confirm" while the Quit to Menu option is highlighted)
---*Set ReturnedPauseAction to 2
---*End application

So with Resume, no value is set because the default action would simply make the app continue running. Restart and Quit change the global value so that your main frame can detect this and act, sorta like this:

//Add this around your "constantly checked" events in the main level frame
+ReturnedPauseAction = 1
---*Set ReturnedPauseAction to 0
---*Restart frame 
//(reinitialize values, go to last checkpoint, whatever you wish)

+ReturnedPauseAction = 2
---*Set ReturnedPauseAction to 0
---*Jump to frame #X

This should provide a solid and easy pause function. The advantage of the sub app is that you can add a status screen, additional frames (just use jump to frame inside the sub-app), inventories, whatever. Just remember to use global values with the share option enabled to make things work.

And finally, if you want to use sub-apps for game elements that should be in "real time", just uncheck the modal property. With this you can make stuff like weapon selection pop-ups without cluttering your level frame with tons of objects.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Sub-Application is great if you want to make elaborate menu interfaces when the player presses the Pause key. ^_^ I use it for my FableQuest project so that the player can do things like check their stats, inventory, map, etc. It's also great if you want to keep the main .exe of your game at a low file size by dividing the frames into individual .ccn applications (though in that case, if you have global events, you'll need to modify them for each .ccn file).

My only gripe with sub-applications so far is that they're not compatible with Flash. I'd prefer to keep the use of extensions at a minimum so that someday, when I can finally afford the exporters for Flash/iPhone/Android/etc, I won't have to rework huge sections of code in order to make it compatible.

As far as compatibility goes, my best bet is probably to stuff all of my code into a single "Main Game" group, then run a loop that both deactivates this group and halts all movements/animations when pausing.

• 5 weeks later...

I won the Daily Click Christmas Competition! =D

The judges were playing the very first version without the fixes and such, so as I expected, I lost points for the extreme difficulty. xD I was also criticized for the backgrounds, which the judges felt didn't match the style of the game. Aside from that, though, I got high scores in all the other categories. You can find the results page here:

http://create-games.com/uploads/xmas2010/results.htm

I'm pretty happy with the latest version of the game, so I think I'll hold off on additional changes until the next Time Heroes, which I'll post about here when I have something to show. Until then, I think I need a break for a while.

• 1 month later...

A belated thanks, FGR. ^_^

Anyway, I've started chipping away at Time Heroes (1). Most of my work has involved getting the storyline straightened out, but I've also done a few gameplay-related things as well:

thhudtest.png

Player sprites: I've changed Indigo's chest armor to look a little more practical. I'm also working on alternate skins for Indigo and Violet in which they're wearing space helmets, for levels that don't take place within an atmosphere. I'm not sure if the effort will be worth it, but it would kinda bother me if the characters could breathe in space. xD;

Health: I've revamped the HUD, mostly because I want to change the healing system. Here's my idea so far: The player would simply regenerate health over time, but they can't heal past the red marker on the health bar. When the player takes damage, the marker would be pushed to the left slightly, so the more damage they take, the less they'll be able to heal back. Collecting health powerups would push the marker back to the right.

Shielding: I'm considering adding energy shields as well. This would stack a green bar next to the player's health bar, and if they take damage with shielding, they won't flinch from energy-based attacks.

Item crafting: As a replacement for the Christmas-themed items in CTH, the player would be able to collect crafting materials they can use to make items and upgrades. They would be able to carry items with them to missions and then using them through some kind of quick-select menu.

None of these are set in stone yet, so I'm still open to suggestions/modifications. Afterall, I want to add spices without spoiling the soup. ^_-

• 2 months later...

I've added a few new gimmicks since last time:

th1grenade.png

Grenades. They cause massive damage to anything in the blast radius, but players won't be able to carry very many of them into a stage. While they help a great deal during boss fights, many bosses are fought in close quarters, so there's an increased risk of blowing yourself to smitheroons.

I've made Frag and Plasma grenades so far, and I plan on making an EMP grenade that knocks out enemy shields. I can't figure out how to draw a good EMP blast though. xD;

th1item2.png

The player can also bring "helper items" with them to stages. So far I've made the Jet Platform (above) and the Hover Platform, which rises slowly upwards when stepped on. I'm thinking about making a Buoy Platform for crossing water/lava and a Safety Net for preventing falls into bottomless pits.

th1midboss.png

It shoots lasers and swivels around with the magic of trigonometry, but that's about it so far. I have no clue what to do as far as a weak spot goes. Shooting the head seems too simple, but I'll probably go with that if I can't think of anything else.

Looking great as always. I'm curious to how that boss looks like in motion too. Speaking of which, maybe the weakspot could alternate between his body parts with some kind of visual indicator alerting the player which piece needs to take damage.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. ^_^ I'll see what works the best.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble here... I've been thinking really hard about changing the game's name. I originally named Time Heroes after the time-travelling gimmick that I was going to implement, but the game no longer features time travel in any way. I can't really come up with anything else that sounds decent, though, and a Google search for Time Heroes shows that nobody else has taken this name yet, so maybe I should just stick with it. I dunno. xD;

I'm also considering renaming the heroes' organization from the Spectrum Force to something else, since I found out recently that Spectrum Force has been used in several other works. It's common enough that it shouldn't be a problem if I keep it, but if there's anything else that sounds cooler, I'd be up for it.

In my opinion, you'll find the best suited name if you base it on the thing your trying to show off the most in the game. You apparently had a time traveling gimmick but removed it for some reason...so what would you say is going to fill the void of the time travel gimmick, in the sense that it is exploitable?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. ^_^ I'll see what works the best.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble here... I've been thinking really hard about changing the game's name. I originally named Time Heroes after the time-travelling gimmick that I was going to implement, but the game no longer features time travel in any way. I can't really come up with anything else that sounds decent, though, and a Google search for Time Heroes shows that nobody else has taken this name yet, so maybe I should just stick with it. I dunno. xD;

I'm also considering renaming the heroes' organization from the Spectrum Force to something else, since I found out recently that Spectrum Force has been used in several other works. It's common enough that it shouldn't be a problem if I keep it, but if there's anything else that sounds cooler, I'd be up for it.

It's not all about sounding cool. Well,...there's that and relevancy. xD

Eclipsc and Blazefire - That's true. Although, I'm not entirely sure if there's a central gimmick at this point other than Megaman-styled platforming action (which may or may not be something to consider). I also don't think the crafting system I'm planning would be pronounced enough to include in the title.

Another naming convention that I often see is that the main character's name is used - Sonic The Hedgehog, for example. xD In that case, Violet Star's name flows better than Indigo Sun's, but I don't want to imply that she's the only important character. (Then again, the Sonic Adventure series had a slew of characters that were just as important as the title hedgehog.)

Spike - That made me laugh out loud. xDDD

Thank you. ^_^ While I really don't do this for money, I must admit that the thought of selling the next game has crossed my mind a lot these days. I've been unemployed since college and this is the only talent I have that would actually stand a chance of getting my family some income. Still, it'd feel a little weird at first... In any case, if you guys spot any "Graphic artist/Composer/Game Designer Wanted" ads floating around the internets, be sure to let me know.

Income woes aside, I've been trying really hard to figure out how to make my own synthesized sound effects. Sounds are the only part of the game that I haven't created on my own (and, well, there's the borrowed music in Christmas TH, but replacing that with original music is simple enough with time). Should I be able to do that, then I can live with the satisfaction that everything in the next game will be 100% original. :3

Okay, so we're definitely on the same page as far as the 2nd one being the worst, so no worries there. xD Soo, to keep the face mask or not...

I kinda wish there was a simple way for me to swap between the two, actually, so that he'd change depending on whether or not he's in an area without oxygen. The simplest solution I'd see is to make the sprite headless and make two different heads, but I dunno, something makes me iffy about giving him three spritesheets in total. xD;

Augh, I've been super OCD about Indigo's head/hair, and I don't know which one to stick with. xD;

[qimg]http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9392/indigotest.png[/qimg]

Which one looks the best?

3rd one for sure. I don't know about you, Strife, but I think he'd kinda look better (although yet at the same time he'd kinda look rather generic) if he had a helmet.

I like him with the mask.

I feel it shows a lot creativity.

It's really tough to explain any further, however it's your decision that matters.

Mask all the way though, lol.

Yeah, I think I have to agree with you there.

I tested the third one in-game, and in dark places, I find that his white fingers stand out more than I'd like to. I'll go with the first one, since it makes his outfit look more uniform.

Each character will probably have a casual outfit that they wear when they're not on missions, so I can use his helmetless face then. :3