A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Chaos tries Gimp!

Chaos Rush

...well, kinda, I've used Gimp before, but that was just to make transparent stuff and banners. But this is the first time I've ever made actual art with Gimp.

sonicoldshoes.png

(oh and this is the same pic but with a scarf)

This would be how I would redesign Sonic the Hedgehog, make him short and stubby rather than tall and lanky so he's much more believable as a fast moving creature, but keep the green eyes. Unlike the rest of you, I saw modern Sonic first before knowing what classic Sonic looked like, so I never had a problem with green eyes.

(Yes, I got the pose from Sonic 3K art)

Tips? Suggestions?

Ahahahah, green eyes complaints.

GIMP is one of my regularly used editors now, the other being pinta (which is stepping up very well currently).

I still need to get more used to GIMP though, some tools don't work as I would expect, and sometimes I waste a lot of time looking for X option. (and that multiwindow bullshit doesn't help.)

Nice work. The white bands in the shoes look a bit off though (Sonic's left shoe particularly). And the 'eyebrow' looks like a jaggy line even with the slight blur. Blur it more maybe?

but keep the green eyes.

you are the world's greatest troll

because you KNOW what gets people unreasonably upset

you, my good sir, deserve a medal, nay, a trophy, nay, a STATUE for this incredible trolling

but seriously, that's professional, give yourself a pat on the back for me

By tips and suggestions, I didn't mean green eyes because I clearly said earlier that I'm 100% okay with it because to me, Sonic has always had green eyes. I'm a few years younger than the rest of you >_>. I didn't grow up with classic Sonic.

@gsoft: Thank you for actually giving tips and/or suggestions. Probably won't be doing another one for a while...

@Chaos Rush I was born when Sonic & Knuckles was out. The first Sonic "game" I played was the idiotic Sonic 4 hack for SNES ): I used to watch SatAM and Underground; I liked that. But um... sorry, I hadn't seen what you said about the green eyes under the pic. I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, sorry again if I was rude to you. But... understand me. The green eyes just conserve the stereotype that beauty is related to light eyes. But um, that's not the point, so I'll stay here with this. Psychological analysis sucks. I prefer Sonic, specially the classic one, with black eyes. Green always seemed strange for me.

EDIT: I only played a Genesis classic Sonic game in about 2000 or 2001, what means that I was around 6 or 7, and the best part: using an emulator. Ahh, good times. I was scared of drowning in Hydrocity. I also had nightmares with its music and The Doomsday's music.