A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Nice topic title, shame about the contents!

Jamie Bailey

It was ten years ago today that Rlan posted Sonic: The Fast Revelation up on SFGHQ! I was visiting the site for over half a year before that, but that was when I really became known to you lot. Shortly before the release of TFR I sent Rlan a reeeaaally crappy game to feature in a site update, it was called PS2 Blast, where you shot PS2s falling to the crowd below in order to save the Dreamcast. But that game wasn't really worth remembering, LOL.

So what do I do to mark this amazing occasion? Eeerm... not a lot. :( Had lots of snow last night, so all plans for today had to be cancelled.

Can't even announce STA2's in the works, because it's not. I can hear you all committing suicide right now! Got a new computer recently after my crappy old one finally completely gave up, but have had a problem with the new monitor giving me headaches and making me dizzy, not good.

This is probably what you'd call a sort of blog rather than a decent discussion topic, but TFR's 10th anniversary had to be mentioned, because, er... no-one told me to do it. No, no-one at all, nope, no trees, not even any chests of drawers, nope, nobody told me to do it.

Maybe one day I'll come up with something worth discussing and we can discuss forever and ever and... oh, I forgot, everyone committed suicide already. Ah well, all ghosts are welcome to post below!

Jamie, I think it's about time someone told you...

We never liked STA. We always thought it was some hipster game and we pretended all these years to actually like it because you had Earthworm Jim as your avatar. We even have a special subforum visible to everyone except you. It's where we usually talk about how much STA was meh (it's usually active around SAGE).

But now that avatar is gone and there's no need to continue with all these lies. I'm sorry, it had to be said.

Jeez, ten years ago? o_O I feel old.

I remember going over to my friend's and he was freaking out about this new game that had been posted on SFGHQ (I hadn't been online yet that week). Of course this was TFR. We had a blast even though for some reason it would sometimes randomly crash in Millennium Zone (thanks Windows ME!)

Definitely a classic, even with the controls and handling being so damn clunky. That's what makes it challenging!

STFR was amusingly glitchy impresive.

Oh! Also, I remember playing Sonic Time Attacked back in December 2003, around Christmas eve, during summer, I was young.

I will always like that fangame, because it gave me cheerful moments.

Even I didn't have a copy of the TFR2 demo, in fact, I haven't got sod all now I've got a new computer, but Godmaster gave me a link to a copy in a PM when he was trying to find it a little while ago. I've now uploaded it to my collection of attachments.

Sonic: The Fast Revelation 2 Demo

Digitally Godmastered for optimum... something or other. Haven't checked to make sure this is still TFR2, so naked boobies and my banning are still a slight possibility.

TA2 Engine Test

There is no TA2, so this'll be a really crappy joke then.

A Christmas Game

From a couple years ago, a Christmas Robotnik game with a long name.

And the rest are strange Sonic pictures from one of my topics in the art forum.

TFR2.zip

Man, that Fast Revelation 2 demo brings me back! You're a legend Mr Bailey. There's something about isometric games. I bloody love em.

Time Attacked 2 engine test is very silly. I approve!

Out of interest, have you ever thought of actually developing something based on your Sonic Who avatar? I would totally play that.

Of course I've thought of doing Sonic Who, but it's not happening for the same reasons TA2's not happening, silly monitor making me dizzy and headachey, I'd like to do SOMETHING fangamey when I've eventually got my final set-up, although I'm not up to today's Sonic Worlds standards. The new PC's fine, just need to get a new monitor that's compatible with me. Although whether I could do Sonic Who without it being too story-driven for everyone's liking is another thing.

I always thought this looked like it should have been a classic Sonic logo.

37160.png

• 1 month later...
I also think that THIS should've been a Sonic logo.

[qimg]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fMdrYDgVIw4/S_Hlf-hfKQI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/5CsTCj1QdiY/s1600/ChavesLogo.jpg[/qimg]

What? No, you're missing the entire point. Chaves? Really LH? What the hell, man? Seriously, +2 fail points for you.

JB: The concept of a Sonic Who intrigues me. How would that work? Would he have a "Sonic Screwdriver" still? Yes, I'm aware of the irony in that name, but seriously. What did you have in mind for this concept?

Ah yes, PC0, Sonic would certainly have to have a sonic screwdriver. It's sonic, it's Sonic's and just maybe it drives Sonic's screws, they're all a little loose! Maybe he named it after himself, maybe amy screwdriver didn't have the same ring to it, speaking of which, maybe he gets more rings for naming things better. What's my point? Ummm... I don't have one, I'm making insane stuff up as I go along, so pay attention everyone, I'd make a terrible role model, this is how talking on a forum isn't done.

As for what I have in mind, I'm not sure, different ideas run through my head, whether it'd be a series or a one-off product? Whether it'd be more game or interactive cartoon of some sort? Whether it would have lots of story or just enough to give everything a reason to happen? Do I have any good stories to tell? Do I take any continuity from either franchise or start Sonic Who fresh as it's own thing? How Sonicy is it? How Doctor Whoey is it? How funny? How silly? How dark? Would a game play close to a traditional Sonic game or be very different? Which characters? Which locations? Which monsters/aliens? Which badniks? Which to merge between both franchises? What will Sonic's TARDIS be like? What audience do I have for such a project? Will anyone like [insert whatever idea I'm thinking of at the time]? How could everyone be kept interested? What would I enjoy and want to see if it was someone else's project? What mistakes have I, and others, made with past projects that I'm aware of that I shouldn't repeat? And the all-important question I think to myself, what could I actually do that I won't get bored of and drop half way through?

So it's more a load of different thoughts and questions that run through my head rather than any solid plan as I'm not at the point where I'm ready to start any projects yet. But I'm sure I have the insanity to make Sonic Who work as long as I don't follow either franchise too strictly. One other thing is for certain, if I did do Sonic Who, it would have to be wibbly wobbly timey wimey! So jumping around in time would be a must, I wouldn't even question that.

@PC0 Come on, it's just an excellent pattern for a Sonic logo. Just imagine Sonic's spikes instead of the hat and the word "Sonic" instead of "Chaves". lol

...the fail points weren't really necessary. But I guess you always knew that I was joking :Bounce:

@JB I don't know exactly what Doctor Who is, never watched it. But you avatar seems awesome. If you're still intended to make it, you should. Seriously.

I feel old. But it's cool that there are so many of us still around (and so many excellent newcomers from along the way) to keep this place running.

EDIT: I know this is a bump. But it was still on the first page. and I don't care.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh wow it's 2011 fml