A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

X-Mas Engine with more stuff implemented (GM7)

Chaos Rush

I've been getting a hang of using Damizean's X-Mas Engine, and I've decided to finally start using it. Before I start working on my fangame, I would like to first add things to the engine, so here is what I've done so far:

*Sonic 3 Shields

*Sonic 3 Sprites

*Ring Loss

*Player 2 won't lose rings

*Got rid of the background stuff because some people (like me) have their own background methods

*Got rid of all the title screen BS. The only variables it sets is the Game Mode and Characters, so it's completely unnecessary to have all that, and I believe that not many people used the X-Mas Engine because they thought this stuff made it "too complicated".

*I removed Sonic's wall jump action because it wasn't part of the classics, so I think it's unnecessary. And I'm using Sonic 3 sprites which don't have wall jumping and I'm too lazy to make some.

*Removed the hidden Multiplayer Gamemode because it does absolutely nothing

Screens:

27688468.png

33033765.png

84902150.png

67858592.png

21249067.png

95037277.png

Oh, look, that monitor actually hurts you now.

Credits:

Damizean - For making the X-Mas Engine

RogueYoshi - For making the X-Mas Engine

Kain - Sonic 3 sound effects

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nhh35bz3x22mxih

Yeah, I really can't wait for this. Saves me the trouble of stripping down and adding back in features for the Xmas Engine. After you've released it will you continue to work on future releases or is it just going to be one full release of a "modified" engine?

Yeah, I really can't wait for this. Saves me the trouble of stripping down and adding back in features for the Xmas Engine. After you've released it will you continue to work on future releases or is it just going to be one full release of a "modified" engine?

The X-Mas Engine isn't actually complicated at all. I was under the impression that the all titlescreen stuff setup a bunch of random complicatedness blah blah stuff, but it turns out the only variables you need to set to play in a room is the Character ID and the Gamemode.

Yes, there will be future releases, but once I start my fangame (which will use this engine), there won't be any more future releases for a while. The only features necessary for this are ones that are found in most Sonic levels, such as Springs. After a certain point, it will be unnecessary to add things.

A release will probably come this weekend.

Just finished implementing Springs, so I feel this is a good release point.

This release features:

*Everything that the X-Mas Engine had (that means Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, 2nd player, good physics, etc.)

*Ring loss

*Spikes

*Elemental Shields

*Sonic 3 sprites

*Springs

Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nhh35bz3x22mxih

@Ollie: I haven't implemented that much in this release, and there's still more things I would like to implement. Because of that, there will be at least one more release. The next release will have more graphical stuff implemented, such as Spin Dash dust.

Personally I hate using pre-made engines but I like this one a lot. There are a couple of bugs though like when I go off a curve, sonic gets stuck in ball form unable to jump or move at all. The acceleration is a little off too but I think that's just my inner nitpicky sonic fan talking.

EDIT: Hate to ask but how do you add animations?

Personally I hate using pre-made engines but I like this one a lot. There are a couple of bugs though like when I go off a curve, sonic gets stuck in ball form unable to jump or move at all. The acceleration is a little off too but I think that's just my inner nitpicky sonic fan talking.

EDIT: Hate to ask but how do you add animations?

I changed the acceleration because according to Sonic Retro's Physics Guide, Sonic is supposed to accelerate at 0.046875, but however, Damizean and RogueYoshi made it 0.04768 in the X-Mas engine. I don't know why, though it might have been possible that because Game Maker isn't perfect, using a different value somehow made it more accurate to the Genesis games. I'm no expert, but Damizean and RogueYoshi are, and because of that, future releases will have the acceleration changed back, even though it contradicts Sonic Retro's Physics Guide. And I've never encountered that ball glitch you mentioned.

And to add animations, first you add a new sprite, then go to Scripts -> Global Objects -> Player -> Animations -> scrPlayerAnimationsLoadSonic (or Tails or Knuckles). Open it up, scroll to the very bottom, and place this:

ds_grid_set(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsName,                '[B]OMGLOLOLOL[/B]');
ds_grid_set(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsLoopbackTimes, 0);
ds_grid_set(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsLoopbackFrame, 0);
ds_grid_set(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsLoopbackAnimation, '(None)');
ds_grid_set(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsSubAnimation, '(None)');
ds_grid_set(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsSprite, [B]I LIKE PUDDING[/B]);
ds_grid_set(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameList, ds_list_create());
ds_grid_set(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameSpeedList, ds_list_create());[/CODE]

For every time it says, "24", change it to "25" or the next number of animations (for instance, if you already inserted a 25th animation, then the next one would be 26). Then change "OMGLOLOLOL" to the name of your animation, for now, let's call it 'omglololol'. Then change, "I LIKE PUDDING" to the name of the sprite you inserted. (Depending on the character animation, change AnimationsSonic to AnimationsTails or AnimationsKnuckles)

Next, place this at the bottom:

[CODE]
ds_list_add(ds_grid_get(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameList), 0);
ds_list_add(ds_grid_get(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameSpeedList), 0.10);[/CODE]

Again, change 24 to whatever animation number that comes next, and copy and paste that over and over again until it matches the same amount of frames the new animation has. For every time you paste it again, you have to change the frame number to the correct order (right next to where it says consAnimationsFrameList), that means change 0 to 1, and 0 to 2, and so on. For example:

[CODE] ds_list_add(ds_grid_get(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameList), 0);
ds_list_add(ds_grid_get(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameSpeedList), 0.10);
ds_list_add(ds_grid_get(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameList), 1);
ds_list_add(ds_grid_get(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameSpeedList), 0.10);
ds_list_add(ds_grid_get(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameList), 2);
ds_list_add(ds_grid_get(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameList), 3);
ds_list_add(ds_grid_get(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameList), 4);
ds_list_add(ds_grid_get(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameList), 5);
ds_list_add(ds_grid_get(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameList), 6);
ds_list_add(ds_grid_get(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameList), 7);
ds_list_add(ds_grid_get(global.AnimationsSonic, 24, consAnimationsFrameSpeedList), 0.10);[/CODE]

After that, open up scrPlayerAnimationHandleSonic (or Tails or Knuckles) and then it's pretty much self-explanatory what to do there.

That's the best way I can explain it. I know, I suck at explaining these things.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Bump for help...When It comes to game design, I'm horrible at coding... I'm more of a concept artist than a programmer so if its not too much trouble, could someone help me out? I'm trying to change sonic's weight; I tried changing the amount of gravity objPlayer has but it didn't work, I also need to know a couple other things but for now, I just wanna get a video out for official proof of my game. Help would be much appreciated.