A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Fan Remix

Kirs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not like its bad the details, but mostly of the lag comes from the excesive detail it has, i mean all in the screen its almost 3D polygons, and nothing its something like textures and stuff, i mean its pretty when all its renderer but with an engine like Unity its a serious issue with machines that doesnt meet the minimum requiriments for the ENGINE not the game, i have seen even more simpler games and still has some lags in it, but they can be run in older PC's like P4 or older AMD's, again the Keyboard lag it has even with a powerfull machine its because the engine itself lags with the keyboard input, heck it even has some issues with the remapping keys, or i dunno why lowering the graphics to play in Fastest doesnt play in fastest at all in older PC's.

I always say that with 3D games it has to be tested in almost 3 kind of PC's, a lower spec one, a medium one and then the high end one, because if it only plays for high end pc's then you feel like if you dont have one you cant play it and therefore you miss half of the people that would like to play it because the gameplay mechanics not the pretty graphics, Gameplay its the core of the games, then its the graphics, i mean yes a game has to have a balance between the two but not overdose on of them.

Gameplay its the core of the games, then its the graphics, i mean yes a game has to have a balance between the two but not overdose on of them.

But somehow gameplay is boring. I wouldn't put the gameplay above everything, I'd like to say that it must be in harmony with the graphics. The biggest issue in this game is that it was primarily created to be an artistic perfection, and after that a game itself that copies exactly the oldschool engine. HELL, Sonic Worlds tries to do so and it still has bugs! That's just funny to know how fangames just can't copy perfectly an engine that already existed and was dozens of times smaller in file size than them. Not even SEGA could copy the engine they made years ago... or they didn't want to.

I'm still trying to work out if the lag I feel is my machine or the engine, because visually it runs very well. Not perfect but completely fine. But while I'm playing I still feel that things aren't responding fast enough.

The level design though... what are people's thoughts? Especially of act 2, since that's the only original design in the game.

Act 3 I just can't get into. I can't make sense of it, can't seem to find a reason to go anywhere or really enjoy it. Obviously most problems that one could highlight can probably be blamed on its cut and paste design. It might be because I'm unconsciously expecting other parts of the level to appear, that don't. Or it might be because it has no real direction - and I don't even think I know enough to say that. I certainly can't remember how act 3 maps out. But does anyone feel like act 3 knows what it's trying to provide? Or do people agree that it really is just a blob of pieces without a general aim? Or am I reading too much into it heh.

Back to act 2, I love it for its aesthetics and its curves near the very start and very end. I dislike that it is just mind-bogglingly short, which isn't helped by the fact that its 2-and-a-half paths are pretty much straight lines. There actually isn't anything very playful in act 2. The top path contains practically zero options short of dropping off it, and the bottom path... I guess instead of making you play and choose between options, it only asks you to keep going and if you want an alternative you have to deliberately decide to aim for it. And that's pretty much "find a way to go straight up".

So why doesn't this guy post his shit over here at SFGHQ anyway? His game's certainly worthy.

I was thinking just that. I have nothing against retro, (on the contrary I love them, even though they hate me) but I thought they where dedicated to rom hacks and reverse engineering of the original genesis games? If this is a rom hack then I seriously underestimated the power of the genesis.

I was thinking just that. I have nothing against retro, (on the contrary I love them, even though they hate me) but I thought they where dedicated to rom hacks and reverse engineering of the original genesis games? If this is a rom hack then I seriously underestimated the power of the genesis.

Well, Retro tries to put up a front that it's about rom hacks etc. but it's really more of a potpourri of just about everything Sonic related. It's a great site though and certainly one of my favorites, but it does seem like a sister topic here on SFGHQ, being that we're fan game specific, is a bit warranted. It'd be a great way to direct a fan game towards a group of people who are specifically interested in fan gaming.

I keep hearing comments about this game lagging for some people, but I find that strange since I ran it full settings with 4x anti-aliasing and it still ran very fast. I wonder if it's a cpu/gpu preference thing going on.

It's really cpu and graphics card thing. I'm sure Unity likes to eat BOTH of them up.

I keep hearing comments about this game lagging for some people, but I find that strange since I ran it full settings with 4x anti-aliasing and it still ran very fast. I wonder if it's a cpu/gpu preference thing going on.

I'm about to test this myself on a decent desktop PC. Visually it runs nicely on my laptop, but input lag is still there. My question is whether this slight lag is actually due to the engine not performing as well as it could because of my machine, or really just a case of the game itself including the lag as a consistent part of the package even with all cylinders firing. I'm thinking the latter tbh.

Edit - Ok I think it's a bit of both. I'm sure I could feel a difference between desktop and laptop, but not with enough certainty to avoid having to use the word "sure" to describe it. Anyhoo, yeah even at its best SFR isn't as tight as a classic, or even Nexus. That difference is clear.

I was surprised to see just what real input lag is. When I cranked the desktop up to settings I really expected it to handle, it was literally hard to stop between trees.

Core 2 Duo E7700 @ 2.93Ghz Nvidia GT9500 1024M.

• 3 weeks later...