A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Comedy Exchange

Ristar

I thought I would contribute because General Discussion is full of Sonic hate atm :P

Comedy is brilliant. I love it. I want to be a standup comic.

Thought I might make a thread in which we can exchange and recommend comics to each other.

My favourite comedians are:

-Doug Stanhope

-George Carlin

-Bill Hicks

-Joe Rogan

-Dylan Moran

Stanhope is absolutely brilliant. He has actually completely changed my outlook on life. I went to see him in London this month and he was amazing.

Carlin... well just about everyone has heard one of his jokes in some form or another. Great puppeteer of the English language, though I prefer his later, more hateful material.

Hicks. Same as Carlin, I recommend "Arizona Bay", includes a lovely backing soundtrack of Hicks' music. If you ever need a drive to want to change something, no matter how small, Hicks is your inspiration.

Joe Rogan. Any UFC fans should know his voice, he's like a less drunk, more focused Stanhope. Got some great ideas and has a fantastic podcast.

Dylan Moran. I don't like him as much as I used to but he still makes me giggle. His material has quite a few non-sequitirs and is generally quite mad. All served with a tasty spoonful of Irish accent.

Love Dylan Moran. His 2nd DVD is a bit 'meh' but the first and 'What It Is' are fantastic. His whole routine about the lyrics to Rockafella Skank by Fatboy Slim is hilarious.

Ross Noble is my absolute favourite stand-up though. I love the whole 'stream-of-conciousness' thing and Noble does it so well. You're also guaranteed a different show everytime you see him.

Lee Mack is also a fave. He doesn't strike you as the stand-up type on telly, but my word, when you actually see him it's a totally different kettle of fish. Really close to the bar type stuff. I like a comedian with the power to shock.

I've been digging the new Robin Williams DVD as well. Even in his 50s this man has the energy of wasp on crack and his political stuff is always great fun.