A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Game Help

AMTSonic

Hey, I'm in the process of making my game, and while I know I can't ask for engines, I was wondering if anyone can help me with what engines would best benefit the style of my game. I've found some already but I figured you guys have more info regarding them! So if you can, refer to me to a good engine and give me some info on what the engine has and can do, please? I'd appreciate it!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, if you click on the links you should be able to download the engines and, in turn, find out what each does.

Interestingly, I dont want to download all of the engines just to find out its not what I need nor slow down my computer.

Every time you post, I feel like you have no idea what you're getting yourself into. Slow down your computer? With an engine? Come on man.

Download the engines and do some research. You'll learn something. If you don't want to do that, I heard Harry Potter is selling his magic wand. Maybe you can put that to some use.

Interestingly, I dont want to download all of the engines just to find out its not what I need nor slow down my computer.

if you don't do anything for yourself no one will want to help you.

from the looks of your game, you're going to want to look for a 1.2 litre sonic engine, others might not be able to power your game.

if you don't do anything for yourself no one will want to help you.

from the looks of your game, you're going to want to look for a 1.2 litre sonic engine, others might not be able to power your game.

All Im asking for is info is that so much to ask for?!?

Besides, most of ppl just automatically assume your just some annoying member and treat you with the utmost disrespect and they condescend to you...

And thanks for the info

The thing is, the information you're asking for is not in any way restricted. It's right there in the links that FGR has already provided to you. In fact, since you know more about your ideas for your game in your head than you could ever possibly explain to us, you are much better suited than we are to download those engines and decide which one is the best match for your ideas. You may even be inspired by something you see that you would never have seen if you simply took someone else's word for it. This is something all programmers have to do: try multiple things until the right answer is found. There's no way around it, and you learn things in the process anyway. Besides, if you're worried about slowing your computer down by downloading all those engines, keep in mind you can always delete from your hard-drive anything you decide you don't want.

I know this would fit in the fangame discussion, but this is more like a thread to post in the fangaming assistance forum. Anywho...

Dude. If you can't find out for yourself, you'll never know. And besides, getting a first-hand account of someone who uses the stuff won't help you much either. He/she will only be able to help you to some extent. Sometimes, it's worth digging in before asking the questions.

I know this would fit in the fangame discussion, but this is more like a thread to post in the fangaming assistance forum. Anywho...

Dude. If you can't find out for yourself, you'll never know. And besides, getting a first-hand account of someone who uses the stuff won't help you much either. He/she will only be able to help you to some extent. Sometimes, it's worth digging in before asking the questions.

I understand that, but what is so bad by getting info on which engines are best for what and which ones to avoid... I thot the point of assistance is to GIVE assistance.... i cant even get a little info

i need more in-depth info on what each does

They all seem to emulate a sonic game apparently.

They're files, not softwares, they don't slow your PC down.

what is so bad by getting info on which engines are best for what and which ones to avoid... I thot the point of assistance is to GIVE assistance.... i cant even get a little info

If you read the post it says (Recommended) next to one of the engines, now if I had no idea what does what I'd definately think of trying the "Recommended" one out.

Assistance is helping someone out, not spoonfeeding them. The post has the list of engines with all the info you are asking for, ie. whats good, whats bad, which has bugs etc.

Download each engine and run it and see if it's how you'd want your game to be then keep it.

If you couldn't read english and mentioned that in your post then maybe members would go out of their way to help but right now you come across as quite lazy, IMO.

They all seem to emulate a sonic game apparently.

They're files, not softwares, they don't slow your PC down.

If you read the post it says (Recommended) next to one of the engines, now if I had no idea what does what I'd definately think of trying the "Recommended" one out.

Assistance is helping someone out, not spoonfeeding them. The post has the list of engines with all the info you are asking for, ie. whats good, whats bad, which has bugs etc.

Download each engine and run it and see if it's how you'd want your game to be then keep it.

If you couldn't read english and mentioned that in your post then maybe members would go out of their way to help but right now you come across as quite lazy, IMO.

Thats exactly wat Im talkin about.... Condescending...

Apparently you ask for info and its considered as having someone do the game for you...

Caleb and Dj are the only ones who've actually helped me instead of just referring me to a post or thread

Just delete this thread its gettin on my nerves... you guys are just rude and not very helpful... Ill find other ppl to help/teach me...

Thats exactly wat Im talkin about.... Condescending...

Apparently you ask for info and its considered as having someone do the game for you...

Caleb and Dj are the only ones who've actually helped me instead of just referring me to a post or thread

Just delete this thread its gettin on my nerves... you guys are just rude and not very helpful... Ill find other ppl to help/teach me...

Sonic Dash/Xmas Engine

The best engine for GM period. Very smooth and lots of features.

You're getting info, it's just not enough info for you and you don't seem to like it. If you can't see the help that's being given then oh well..

You're getting info, it's just not enough info for you and you don't seem to like it. If you can't see the help that's being given then oh well..

Its not the fact that im not getting info as much as the fact of how you guys go about giving info to ppl... its in a rude, condescending and unwelcoming manner... Onlt a few ppl have actually spoken to me politely instead of being sarcastic

Its not the fact that im not getting info as much as the fact of how you guys go about giving info to ppl... its in a rude, condescending and unwelcoming manner... Onlt a few ppl have actually spoken to me politely instead of being sarcastic

ok I suppose just replying with a thread link may not be a welcoming way to post, but when you said this

it comes across as you don't want to do anything but want us to help, and that's where the replies go downhill.

Anyway that dash engine has springs and loops from what I've seen. I doubt you'll get a complete engine with all the gimmicks you want but it's a good starting point. I suppose worlds has much more but you haven't mentioned whether you're using GM or MMF2.

ok I suppose just replying with a thread link may not be a welcoming way to post, but when you said this

it comes across as you don't want to do anything but want us to help, and that's where the replies go downhill.

Anyway that dash engine has springs and loops from what I've seen. I doubt you'll get a complete engine with all the gimmicks you want but it's a good starting point. I suppose worlds has much more but you haven't mentioned whether you're using GM or MMF2.

This sites rudeness and sarcasm overwhelmed me and I had no choice but to give it back... But of course you didnt quote the post to which i replied that to... And yes, I want some help... is that not wat boards like the fangaming assistance thread is for? And dont say Im not doing anything... becuz Iv done storyline, scripts, iv gotten bgm, voice sfx, special sfx, and background layouts cluttered ready to be utilized... and if asking for a little guidance through engines and how to go about doing this is a crime, welll send me the crap to hell!

ANYWAYS... I appreciate the help i assume your trying to give me... Now Iv heard of other engines such as the Silver pro engine, sonic 1.2 litre, and others, are ther certain engines that cud clash with others?

If you aren't going to take the time to download each engine and try themselves to find out what will suit your needs the best, then nobody is going to want to help you. If you are going the MMF route, Sonic Worlds is pretty much the best Sonic engine that exists for it as far as I know. If you are going Game Maker, people have been recommending engines.

But again, just suck it up and download them all and test them out yourself. It is the only way you are going to find something that you can use as a starting point for YOUR project, and then try and mess around with it a bit. As long as people can see you are trying, people will be more willing to help. But the whole "I don't want to download engines and test them myself because -excuseshere-" gives off the vibe you don't actually want to do anything. People are getting a bit more rude because we are all beginning to repeat ourselves by this point.

If you aren't going to take the time to download each engine and try themselves to find out what will suit your needs the best, then nobody is going to want to help you. If you are going the MMF route, Sonic Worlds is pretty much the best Sonic engine that exists for it as far as I know. If you are going Game Maker, people have been recommending engines.

But again, just suck it up and download them all and test them out yourself. It is the only way you are going to find something that you can use as a starting point for YOUR project, and then try and mess around with it a bit. As long as people can see you are trying, people will be more willing to help. But the whole "I don't want to download engines and test them myself because -excuseshere-" gives off the vibe you don't actually want to do anything. People are getting a bit more rude because we are all beginning to repeat ourselves by this point.

You tell me to mess around witht he engines to tweek them and such, but how am I suppose to do all this If I'm not even completely sure what to do that does what...

And if your telling me to do stuff by trial and error, then shouldnt you just go ahead and get rid of the fangaming assistance board if thats wat ppl are gonna tell everybody... Im not saying trial and error is bad and i think its necessary at some point, but to tell someone that in a place where you get assistance just kinda negates the concept >.>

I am telling you to download the engines and TEST them. Then just start looking at the code. If I recall some of these engines might even have documentation within the code, but don't quote me 100% on that. I have only ever really used Sonic Worlds, and that is MMF and I have never had any time to really sit down with and figure out what each thing does.

The fangaming assistance forum is here to give people assistance, yes, but you can't expect that everyone is going to be able to help you and that it is their obligation to help you every single time. Some stuff people don't have the answers too, other times its stuff you can do yourself. The only way you are going to learn is by doing, so start off exploring these engines and see what you can figure out on your own. You said you had flash experience, so while it may be different there may be things you recognize. So jump into the engine, look around a bit, and then when you find an engine you think you want to start tweaking, then start asking about that particular engine. I don't think any of the regulars who use whatever engine you choose would have a problem helping to explain how to tweak things. But people can't choose your engine for you since you're going to know better than anyone what you are looking for.

have you even opened any of these files in game maker yet?

there's a bladdy tutorial file with game maker 8.

you're starting too big. where have we heard this before?

try recreating Pong© in GameMaker first before you even think about working with a sonic engine.

i would know. i look at the sonic dash engine and i lose my will to live.

have you even opened any of these files in game maker yet?

there's a bladdy tutorial file with game maker 8.

you're starting too big. where have we heard this before?

try recreating Pong© in GameMaker first before you even think about working with a sonic engine.

i would know. i look at the sonic dash engine and i lose my will to live.

I havent downloaded game maker yet, im on a diff computer right now, so i have to download it on mine

Dude, I know the frustration that can come from trying to start with sonic fangames, hell I'm still learning, but the best way to see what an engine does is simply opening it in whatever program you plan to use and messing around with it. Most of these engines are VERY well documented (at least worlds, as far as I know) so you wont just be just playing around in the dark.