A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Game Help

AMTSonic

Its just a lot to take in is all so just take it step by step. There is a lot of stuff to look at and try to figure out. I can't code worth crap so I know the frustrations with coding.

SMIDGE SEZ SAYS :scool: :

you should program, not code.

sorry, that was terrible, the young un's won't get it, but i'm going to bed.

see you in the morning ;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You tell me to mess around witht he engines to tweek them and such, but how am I suppose to do all this If I'm not even completely sure what to do that does what...

Someone telling you which engine is the best isn't going to help you know that either. If you want to use somebody else's engine, you're going to have to figure out how it works before you can use it. But, again, nobody can know better than you which engine you'll like the best, and the only way you can find that out is by downloading them.

And if your telling me to do stuff by trial and error, then shouldnt you just go ahead and get rid of the fangaming assistance board if thats wat ppl are gonna tell everybody... Im not saying trial and error is bad and i think its necessary at some point, but to tell someone that in a place where you get assistance just kinda negates the concept >.>

First, this isn't the fangaming assistance board, this is General Fangame Discussion.

Second, you're conflating some things. There are two kinds of requests for help being discussed here: "how do I"-type questions, where a user has a specific problem with one or more objectively correct answers (for instance, code that creates the desired behavior), and "what's the best"-type questions, which are going to vary to some extent for every person. The main use of this and other places to ask for help is for questions of the first type. Often, the user can be helped by people explaining the important concepts but not giving the actual code (just like tutoring for a class involves more than giving you a list of the correct answers and sending you on your way), because that way the user actually learns something from the experience that can be applied in future situations. It makes some sense to ask questions of the "what's the best" type if trying each possible option has some severe costs, e.g. they literally cost money, it would take a long time to try even one, etc. Here, though, each option is freely available and by your own admission you haven't tried downloading any of them, so you -- and by extension we -- have no idea if you'd be able to figure it out yourself without asking anyone else.

On a related note, it's always important, when asking for help, to show your work. That is, explain that you've already tried on your own to solve the problem, then list exactly what you've tried and exactly what went wrong. This is basic respect, it shows that you recognize that other people's time is valuable and you've made every effort you can to make helping you as easy as possible. This could work even for your question of what engine is the best, but as it stands, if you haven't downloaded anything you're offering no starting point for people to help you.

Someone telling you which engine is the best isn't going to help you know that either. If you want to use somebody else's engine, you're going to have to figure out how it works before you can use it. But, again, nobody can know better than you which engine you'll like the best, and the only way you can find that out is by downloading them.

First, this isn't the fangaming assistance board, this is General Fangame Discussion.

Second, you're conflating some things. There are two kinds of requests for help being discussed here: "how do I"-type questions, where a user has a specific problem with one or more objectively correct answers (for instance, code that creates the desired behavior), and "what's the best"-type questions, which are going to vary to some extent for every person. The main use of this and other places to ask for help is for questions of the first type. Often, the user can be helped by people explaining the important concepts but not giving the actual code (just like tutoring for a class involves more than giving you a list of the correct answers and sending you on your way), because that way the user actually learns something from the experience that can be applied in future situations. It makes some sense to ask questions of the "what's the best" type if trying each possible option has some severe costs, e.g. they literally cost money, it would take a long time to try even one, etc. Here, though, each option is freely available and by your own admission you haven't tried downloading any of them, so you -- and by extension we -- have no idea if you'd be able to figure it out yourself without asking anyone else.

On a related note, it's always important, when asking for help, to show your work. That is, explain that you've already tried on your own to solve the problem, then list exactly what you've tried and exactly what went wrong. This is basic respect, it shows that you recognize that other people's time is valuable and you've made every effort you can to make helping you as easy as possible. This could work even for your question of what engine is the best, but as it stands, if you haven't downloaded anything you're offering no starting point for people to help you.

Yeah thats too long, i didnt read that, besides we're over with that... your kinda late... >.>

Listen, kid, the reason why you aren't getting any "help" is because what you are asking for, noone is going to do for you. Everybody here learned the same way we are telling you to. We downloaded engines, read the annotations, and messed with variables and stuff until we figured out what was happening. Unless you wanted to create a fangame with only gimmicks and features that have been made publicly available, this is what you're going to have to do as well.

Now, if that is the kind of fangame you want to make, then....wait. You're still going to have to download and test each one to see which has the specific features you want.

As for the "condescending" attitude you seem to be perceiving, it stems from the tone of your posts which suggests that you don't want to do a damn thing for yourself. You posted your project outline, and several people told you that you're aiming too high for your current skillset. You ignored them. And now you say you want us to describe each and every engine on this site, in detail, to you. I (as well as others) could understand if you were asking for builds for the engines that you cannot open, but expecting us to describe each on to you? On the surface, that seems very presumptuous of you.

Thinking about it, it also can indicate a lack of understanding of what it is you're trying to accomplish, which I've said before. This tone that I mentioned before is pervasive in practically all of the topics you make, asking for help. Trust me, we would all love to help, but only if you want to help yourself. We will tell you everything you need to know to help yourself, and that will be that. We won't do anything for you until you show considerable effort on your part. Unwillingness to download a demo version of MMF2 or Game Maker to try out different engines does not constitute effort, and it makes people like me not want to help you.

For next time you ask for help here, try to keep in mind the tone of your post and your intentions. If what you are asking requires one of us to do something that your are just as capable of doing, don't ask. Do it yourself. Once you start showing initiative, you'll find that people will be less condescending. Not to say they are being that way now, but believe me, you won't perceive it that way anymore. And for the record, if you disregard this post, and do try to bring that attitude elsewhere, you'll get the same treatment. Consider this fair warning.

it's this rudeness that makes everyone think you're a bell.

act like that and it's no wonder no one wants to help you.

Oh so its alright for you guys to be rude to me, but when i play your game you all have a hissy fit.... yeah, that makes a lot of sense...

seems to me this is just the pot calling the kettle black...

Did you read anything I told you? At all?

Also, excuse Ristar's english. I have a feeling the slang he's using is going over your head. He's not being rude to you.

Im not saying he's being rude to me per se, im tlkin in general, and besides iv heard wat u all said, and we can just go past it all now... its over and done with... this conversation will never stop and ppl are only goin to get more angry and annoyed...

No. Because if you don't learn anything, you'll make the same mistake and get exactly what you got this time. Nothing. Believe when I say I want to help you, but you've got to understand what I'm saying to you before I can be of any help.

Alright, that was a bit dickish, Violet and Scarlet.

Still, AMT, you developed a bit of a reputation of asking for people to do things that you could very well do yourself. Violet (and ScarletDark's) responses are reflective of that reputation. I'm not criticizing you here, just giving you something to think about.

Alright, that was a bit dickish, Violet and Scarlet.

Still, AMT, you developed a bit of a reputation of asking for people to do things that you could very well do yourself. Violet (and ScarletDark's) responses are reflective of that reputation. I'm not criticizing you here, just giving you something to think about.

Oh yes, I got my reputation pretty fast... I get the feeling it was gonna be inevitable...

Id be happy to stop asking for help, but the whole speaking to me like im retarded needs to stop, or thers gonna be problems...