A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Time Twisted Update 6/12/2011

OverbounD

I don't have to reproduce levels I just copy them over to his engine. The only thing I have to do is lay down new rings, monitors, gimmicks, badniks, and terrain objects which can all be done in about an hour per level maybe less. As you probably know the thing that really take time laying tiles down and the tiles and room full of tiles can just be copied over to the new engine using GM8's resource importer.

Also I won't be working on programming at all. I'm working on level design, gimmick design, and graphics all of which I think are my strong points.

Yeah, toaster, Overbound is like myself. We could program (and did to a point), but we're not as talented in that department as other people. Our strengths lie in the graphics/level design department. Now that he has made this move, we both got the fuck out of programming to focus on our strengths for our respective projects.

What's different (and better) in his situation is that he is moving from a Game Maker engine to a Game Maker engine. It should be effortless to bring his level layouts into Mercury's hotness. Whereas myself, I moved from MMF1.5 to Sonic Worlds to Retro Sonic. While the upgrade in engines is absolutely fantastic, I basically lost all of my previous level layouts with each move. It sucked to re-create what I did in the previous engine for the new one. Very time-consuming.

Again, really smart move, Bryce. I will have a brief review up later.

What you call chickening out I call making a better game. =P

I could have stuck with dash and had a great fan game. Now thanks to Mercury we'll have an excellent one, and it will be done quicker. But that's just me; completing an excellent fan game is my own personal agenda.

Plus I also seem to remember programing a few things in Genesis for you. You were fine being a chicken then.

Hehe remeber those sideways moving platforms didn't work anyways even with your additions, and the rest was just basic stuff that the engine was lacking.

Also I guess I should have phrased it differently, I have nothing but respect for you. It's just that I want to do something with code later on so I'd rather do it myself; doesn't mean I began nessecarily good enough at it when first working on Sonic Genesis. =P

• 9 months later...

The new screenshots look very nice, home boy.

The re-shade on those pyramid things from LBZ is excellently done.

However, the third to last screen I've noticed something.

Your grass just stops abruptly before the loop.

You should maybe do something to the grass where it gets shorter to show that there's an platform without grass?

It's better to describe showing an example:

poi.jpg

Or, maybe you can extend the grass into the loop such as Azure Lake's:

s3-other-azurelakeimg1.png

Thanks for all the great comments. Snow toilet you have a good eye but I always intended to fix that its just on that to do list ya know? I'll release a video as soon as we get more of the gimmicks working. Right now its just a base engine/level editor and levels that aren't programmed much. But there's still a lot of content to look at and you can expect more in the weeks to come.

Gotcha, son.

Other than that small thing, everything looks fine and dandy.

Also, I noticed the buildings in the background of the "City Zone" resemble the Moblin Fortress from the GB/GBC LoZ titles.

Did you take note from those?

Either way, those have to be one of the best pieces of work in that screen alone.

Very impressive.

Can't wait for a demo video.

This makes me want to play the old demo.

Exemplary graphical work Overbound. You've really shaped up into one of the best best background artists on the forum if not just plain being the best. It's really looking reminiscent of Sonic CD, but in a way that's all to itself.
Agreed.

Someone, give him a medal!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmKwVM8hxbYbP6oOMJ7tHhpdHSBN9sbUf1jddwfFaTkHWR2ytf&t=1

DAT TILES!

You guys have all said some really great things here. I feel so grateful. But a lot of the credit has to go out to the team. Hinchy, Mercury, Strife, BlazefireLP, Vexer, Gardow, Phoebius and the rest of you too. Time Twisted is no longer my game its a real team/community effort. Thank You and I hope we can live up to the expectations I think I just created.

Didn't really liked the shadding on Robotnik's moustache (i guess it's called dithering, dunno). Otherwise, it looks neat. I just think that you need better contrast on the lights of the 0"Robotnik-piramyd", make 'em more shinny.

They shouldn't be any brighter otherwise the depth and perception of the distance will be lost. I think the dithering looks fine. Also, I think the eggman pyramid may be to high in contrast compared to the mid point of the builds to the far mountains. Maybe darken it just so it looks like it is just about what looks like should be the mid contrast between the buildings and mountains. Sorry if I over explained that.