A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Gijinka (AKA Project G)

opa25d.jpg

Sonic Gijinka aims to bring back scrapped designs and concepts of Sonic 1, as well to attempt to fuse Classic Sonic gameplay with Unleashed styled one.

The game is being made with Game Maker 7 using the Sonic Revival Unleashed b4, with some modifications being possible by the Sonic Dash Engine and the later b2 SRU engine.

Why the name "Gijinka"? is kinda a new gimmnick like the Werehog, or maybe a sword or something in the sort, Gijinka in japanese means "humanoid" or give a human form to something that doesnt has one in the first place, if some people are aware of the concept, there are some "Pokemon Gijinka" art floating around the net with pokemons in human fashion, so i applied this into the Sonic Universe and trasformed Sonic into a semi human/semi supersonic hedgehog.

But im not the first one that put sonic like a humanoid in the first place, this is also one of the scrapped concepts that was for sonic 1 long time ago, back to life in a new Old School/New Gen fashion.

The levels that this game features are the same as we know and love from Sonic 1 but in their alpha stages, all in custom made graphics, aslo the Unleashed ones are here as well, with some special levels and a exclusive one.

Im the only one working at this project for the moment so, it will take a while to get it finished but im expect to finish it no matter what.

Screenshots:

===========

vdhdh5.jpg

312d65c.jpg

fodpid.jpg

jfgavo.jpg

v49oaw.jpg

Demo Release:

=============

SAGE 2010 (i dunno for sure if i can make it in time there is still things to do like clean most of the code, fix some bugs and add some more sprites, but i think i can make it if i dont have any delays)

Final Release:

=============

When its done (i leave this here in case i finish it i can edit this post and include the link here, the same when i have ready the demo)

So that's all i have for now, if i can i will include Cutscenes, an animated Intro (i was inspired to do one by Sonic CD and Nexus mostly) If i have some new information and a Teaser/Trailer ready to show i will upload it here.

[qimg]http://sonicresearch.org/art/albums/Miscellaneous/tgs_sonic3_32.png[/qimg]

This would have been better

*runs* :V

But uh, Sonic and the other sprites are.. WAY to huge for that screen size.

that could be interpreted like a Sonic Advance Gijinka sonic XDD, this is more like an Old School Sonic more inspired in Sonic OVA (i love that movie) if, IF i did some secuel to this game, and that's thinking way to big for the first game, i will attempt to do a Sonic Advanced Gijinka sonic in the future, but now on let's keep it simple, besides that Sonic is way to detailed to do a proper sprite of it.

And the sprite size thing, yeah there are more bigger than the normal size for sonic sprites and all, but is because i put more detail into the sprites, to give a new and detailed look of the world and sonic as well, aslo i seen human sonic sprites in MFZ and they are way to small and you can barely notice something from them.

But people don't want tons of detail and big sized character sprites. It makes the game harder to control because then you can see less of the screen and more of a giant sprite, which stops you from noticing badniks and spikes and ledges and stuff. It's trying to FORCE you to stare at a character, which you will be doing anyways for the rest of the entire game.

It didn't work when it was the blue hog we all know and love. It will especially not work with your humanoid mix.

The thing about the werehog is that he controlled differently. He had different speeds, different attacks, but was still fundamentally the same. The problem is that your game seems to behave exactly like he would if not a human - which is honestly a big problem. People don't want to play Sonic games to be confronted with what is basically a fancharacter in all but backstory and gameplay. Although, Sonic Gijinka could work if he had different gameplay.

While it's good you're trying a new artstyle, and new ideas, your love for detailhas damaged the graphical foundations of a potentially good game. The Sonic art-style wasn't about detail in Sonic 1, which you are basing this upon. It was about bold shapes and a little bit of shading that gave a vibrant, almost impressionist-like view of the 16 bit world we know and love.

(Also wheel feet on a human just drops into uncanny valley for me. Sorry. And I'm also sorry for the rant, it's just Human Sonic is a sore point for me. I look forward to at least playing this at SAGE.)

To be honest the "Sonic" on the screen have a normal size, what polude and make us think that it's way too big is because of the HUD, what ocupates 15%~20% of the scren.

The graphics looks nice, I love the first screen. I just think that you should remake that strange boost @__@

To be honest the "Sonic" on the screen have a normal size, what polude and make us think that it's way too big is because of the HUD, what ocupates 15%~20% of the scren.

The graphics looks nice, I love the first screen. I just think that you should remake that strange boost @__@

Yeah well its normal sized human compared to sonic in hedgehog, and the boost effect yeah is indeed strange i wanted to do it like a meteoric version but the boost keeps facing one way and that's not good, i know i can fix that easy but i can't remember now, but dont worry i will fix the boost effect.

Infact i tryed to do the Score and Time the same exact size of the normal hud that this engine had one time, it looks bigger because it has a background instead of just the SCORE/TIME words, and i tryed to the boost bar not too huge, but if i did the boost bar more small it couldn't notice it from the rest of the screen.

@toaster1: well yeah i know people doesnt want tons of detail, is because of that i dont put all the detail i wanted for the game, like shadows kinda like the ones in Vectorman, or blur effect when you boosting, and bloom and that, all those just drops game speed and are useless, also i wanted to try another art style for sonic, because doing the same art style of sonic 1 is cool and all but many people did that already, or are using some modification of the same style, and there isnt any to improve or give a new look, and using Sonic Advance style isnt my thing, so i just used my own style to it.

A fan char isnt because is sonic indeed not a recolor or a sonic with added quills and "transformed" shoes or with badass leather gloves or sunglasses. is just a re-imagining of the Ol' good sonic in a humanoid form, i dont wanted to do the original design that sega did for a humanoid hedgehog, so i updated the design to a more actual form, and believe me it wasn't just add cool jackets and fancy looks, i had to do something new and simple but at the same time keeping some of the look of the hedgehog, that's why he doesnt has human ears and instead has the hedgehog ones, it was more research and looking more in Sonic Cult for all this things than just doing some fan characters, i know you dont see the point of doing the exact same gameplay and giving sonic a humanoid form, but it was something that made a little more unique and diferent than the rest of the fan games.

It has fullscreen option, in the main menu in options you can select Windowed or fullscreen, even you can press F4 like any other game maker game to go fullscreen.

Look guys if the problem is to see what you are running into i can fix that but if i cant do it i will leave it that way, but you think that because you see still images of sonic running, not the game in action, it was a mistake to put screens before uploading a trailer or something that shows the game in action, sorry about the confusion that the screens make but i will try to see if i can fix those things.

but you think that because you see still images of sonic running, not the game in action, it was a mistake to put screens before uploading a trailer or something that shows the game in action
You figured out why nobody here likes Sonic 4

Look um, it really doesn't matter if we see visuals of said game in action at that resolution. It simply won't work. Either you have to be able to react to threats approaching from 3 sonic-lengths away while moving at a considerable speed making the reactions nearly impossible or the mechanics suck to the point that you can actually expect people to be able to react to stuff at that rate. 3 character lengths for a forward view is simply impossible.

Look guys, im sorry but is the way the engine has his resolution, is the only thing i didnt change it because i play it without a problem, and you dont have to be guessing, you have the enough time to see the enemies and spikes coming, so i dont see the problem, but i dont force anybody to play it, i post it here because i wanted to share what im working on, i aware of the errors and flaws, and i want to fix'em as i know you guys could do if you where working on it, but if i start to fix'em right now i probably not make it for the SAGE, so i see if i can quick fix that little "problem" you guys has with the huge sprites, btw is meant to be like that because i was working on it BEFORE Sonic 4 annoucement, so im not trying to emulate the Sonic 4 style or gameplay, i just wanted to do a more elaborated art for a different game.

Having a platformer where you move fast but cant see but an inch in front of your face is just...i dont see it working.

The size of the player relative to the screen...you'd think this was a 2D Fighting game, not a platformer or even a sidescrolling beatem up.

Why not shrink the sprites? I really don't see how a hard it is to do that.

It isnt that hard yes, but it will look worse because the bad way game maker shrinks the sprites, i can do something instead that is zooming out the view that follows the character i tryed that and it works more than shrink every sprite, but i have to adjust the boost bar hud that's all.