A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Digimon World: Legends

I've decided to start a new side-project, rather than a crossover or a pure Sonic fan-game, I've decided to focus on something I've only recently revitalised my interest in - Digimon. Right now, the project is in the prototyping stages, setting things up before I include some actual functionality. And it's a JRPG, so there's a whole bunch of mess with setting up stats and calculations and whatnot.

TitleScreenv2.pngFirstOverworldScreen.pngFirstBattleAlphaScreen.png

By the time I'm finished with it, the game will sport:

- Similar features to the Digimon World DS games, including Dawn/Dusk and Lost Evolution.

- A DS-like setup with bigger 'screens'. About as big as the 3DS' screen resolution, really, without the 3D.

- Taking a note from Spectrobes (if accidentally, I only just realised this), the player character is part of the party, able to fight alongside their Digimon using a special "effect card" system, allowing the player to combine Item and Effect cards to create combinations that the player can equip, as well as special abilities such as the Critical Focus skill and Digisoul abilities.

- A far more interesting plotline than any of the Digimon World DS games.

- A much better logo.

As far as I can see, if I actually hope to get this project done without taking ages, I'll likely need to assemble a team. But for now, I'll work by myself to create the base engine, so when it comes to forming a team, there'll be something solid to work from.

And, with any luck, I might be able to show it off at SAGE as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Ignoring the obvious troll for a minute...

I've been trying to work with the isometric tile style, and, well, in general, it's a massive, massive pain in the ass in general. I can see why it's not that widely used, it looks neat visually but it is an absolute nightmare for collisions and layering, forcing limits on what you can and can't do with it. At this point, just to make it easier for me to get something done for SAGE, should I change to a regular overhead style at least for a little while, or keep the isometric style?

I dunno, do you think it'd be worth the "massive pain in the ass" to make it iso? Running into any limits with Construct itself?

It's not so much problems with Construct itself as it is the inherent limitations and nasty side of isometric tiles. Overlapping is a massive, massive pain, for starters, difficult to recify. In the original Digimon DS games, they had to keep the walkable areas free of objects that were 'tall' enough to walk behind, and limit the things that could overlap to spots that you could never get in 'front' of. Unfortunately, for certain areas, it just made the areas look kinda bland in places as a side-effect. Collisions are also an issue, due to the 'shape' of solids.

Plus, not many game makers in general I think are actually equipped to work with isometric tiles, making tile placement a tedious affair. Though, I have been trying to get someone to make a Tiled plugin for Construct, which pretty much solve this problem.

I'd have to see a comparison between the overheard and isometric views to decide. Either way, I've been a big fan of the isometric view thus far.

Fair enough... Actually, I guess I used a wrong term here, since "overhead" would technically be both styles, I was meaning isometric vs. "orthogonal", aka, diamond tiles vs. square. Here's some "rough screens" for both styles, isometric on the left (using this tileset), orthogonal on the right (using this tileset - did I mention I love the open source community?), though you should check out the tiling examples in those links, they're much better than mine:

IsometricTileShot.pngOverheadTileShot.png

So far, I've really decided to just stick with orthogonal. It's much easier to work with, and the tileset here is closer to the visual style I wanted than the other one, really.

The orthogonal style looks quite nice actually. But I'd suggest using a different set of tiles for the grass. What I liked about the first set of screenshots you showed was the use of pastel colours. Really made it stand out.

I see what you mean, though I didn't really draw the background in the first screen. XD It's a rip of the hub from Digimon World DS, but still. You do have a point. I might see about that later, when SAGE is over. Kinda in a hurry to get a demo done before the deadline, ya know?

Orthogonal does seem like a better choice. Is the story based on the reading material you gave me a while back?

Yeeeeeeep. Though the main character will be visually replaced by the MC of the first DWDS game for a while until the real main character is sprited.

I see what you mean, though I didn't really draw the background in the first screen. XD It's a rip of the hub from Digimon World DS, but still. You do have a point. I might see about that later, when SAGE is over. Kinda in a hurry to get a demo done before the deadline, ya know?

That's cool man. I realise all you guys trying to enter SAGE are on a bit of a tight schedule. Just putting in my 2 cents for any future updates ;)

Overlapping is a massive, massive pain, for starters, difficult to recify. In the original Digimon DS games, they had to keep the walkable areas free of objects that were 'tall' enough to walk behind, and limit the things that could overlap to spots that you could never get in 'front' of. Unfortunately, for certain areas, it just made the areas look kinda bland in places as a side-effect. Collisions are also an issue, due to the 'shape' of solids.

For the first problem, could you not just have the tree or whatever go semi-transparent when you're behind it so that you could still see? And just have like.. another tile that is roughly the shape of the bottom of said tree that is used for collisions?

Of course whichever is easier is probably the way to go :P

For the first problem, could you not just have the tree or whatever go semi-transparent when you're behind it so that you could still see? And just have like.. another tile that is roughly the shape of the bottom of said tree that is used for collisions?

Of course whichever is easier is probably the way to go :P

Actually, the real problem is basically what overlaps and what doesn't. This isn't nearly as much of an issue with orthogonic visuals. With orthogonic, it's simple to have objects know when to overlap and how. With isometric, it is an absolute pain in the ass. RPGs with isometric visuals these days get around the problems of overlapping by basically having two types of tiles: tiles that you can never, ever get in front of, and tiles you can never, ever get behind.

Anyway, another, far less pressing thing I'm asking for opinion on: Battle music. I've got two themes in mind:

"Reach Out To The Truth" from Persona 4

I've already picked "I'll Face Myself" from Persona 4 for the general Boss Battle theme, and I thought having "Reach Out To The Truth" as well would make a good matching pair, and the fact that the main character is an active party member kinda gives the game a Shin Megami Tensei feel already. Though, I like Chrono Chross' battle theme partly because I like weird time signatures (as Dracula's theme from Castlevania III is also a song I like quite a lot).

Though, I could just take a third option and have different battle themes for different areas or something, which would compliment different backgrounds and make the battle music a lot less monotonous as the game goes on.

Though, I could just take a third option and have different battle themes for different areas or something, which would compliment different backgrounds and make the battle music a lot less monotonous as the game goes on.

That would be a better option. Or you can use some sort of 'music variation' system that lets the player 'acquire' a different theme by spending some money or doing a certain sidequest, building up a collection of themes to select.

While P4's I'll Face Myself (Battle) can fit as a boss theme pretty well, Reach Out to The Truth has lyrics, so it might be a bit 'odd'. (Not as odd as BABY BABY OH YEAH, SHADOWS OF MASS DESTRUCTION, though).

Project looks pretty nice so far. Are there any plans to add any sort of ridiculously addictive minigame such as DW3's card game or something?

This. And please use some music from Megaman Battle Network. I may not have actually gotten around to beating the game, but man did I love the music.

• 2 weeks later...

Announcement: The demo is ready for SAGE. I'm gonna prepare the booth, and then I'll submit it.

TitleScreenv4.pngForestShot1.png

Really, visually, it's kinda screwed up in an odd way. But for the most part, the gameplay is about as functional as I need it to be. Nothing amazing, but... I hope it doesn't suck too much. :asweatdrop:

That would be a better option. Or you can use some sort of 'music variation' system that lets the player 'acquire' a different theme by spending some money or doing a certain sidequest, building up a collection of themes to select.

That... That's a really good idea. It'll bloat up the file size, sure, but still.

While P4's I'll Face Myself (Battle) can fit as a boss theme pretty well, Reach Out to The Truth has lyrics, so it might be a bit 'odd'. (Not as odd as BABY BABY OH YEAH, SHADOWS OF MASS DESTRUCTION, though).

True, true, but it's kinda grown on me, so I'm gonna use it anyway.

Project looks pretty nice so far. Are there any plans to add any sort of ridiculously addictive minigame such as DW3's card game or something?

There might be a card game, since the main character uses cards to form physical items. Of course, I could take a page out of Saira's book and make an addictive, surreal pinball game. Damn it, that was a fun mini-game.

This. And please use some music from Megaman Battle Network. I may not have actually gotten around to beating the game, but man did I love the music.

Heh, Mega Man in general tends to have sweet-ass music, so I certainly might.