A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Super Mario bros X

It looks alright. Some of the unusual uses for different Mario concepts is somewhat interesting. However when it comes down to it its just old Mario levels made on a new engine. That's what I got from the trailer anyway. I really wish Mario fan games would figure out how to make some decent looking custom graphics like we do for our Sonic games here. The ironic thing is Mario graphic are much easier to make because they have such little shading.

Oh should this not be in the General Fan Game forum?

eh figured I'd spotlight something like this. It's definitely an awesome time waster. Make sure to bust out your old gamepads for it, as keyboard controls almost fuck the game up. I really want to 2 player this game.

They play around with the level wrap idea a lot, so far very fun overall.

i jizzed

just a little

If the game actually will support like 10 players, then it'll be the best mario fangame ever.

Nintendo would never admit it, but this game deserves Wiiware-ness with online play. It would be the highest downloaded title ever.

Level editors aren't the same as the ability to add new stages. Sure, you can make new layouts, but when you want to do something that requires checking out the plumbing, you can't. It's always annoyed me when people equate level editors to infinite content. Even with something as insane as Warcraft 3's ridiculous toolset, you still find that there are things you simply can not do or that require so much extra work to do that you just aren't going to get it done... and you can rest assured that your limitations are a lot higher in a simple platform game level editor.

Take that crazy airship thing which moves forward with the bombs for instance... it's similar to a couple gimmicks that I have played with based on a UT2K4 mod called air bucaneers... (not quite as elaborate, but thats in many ways a good thing). With a level editor, you can't really bring new ingenuity of that type into play.

It's actually a little shoddy in the physics department. Not horribly so, but it definitely is enough to keep it from really being the type of game I'd call more fun than the real thing.

So yeah, it's pretty cool so far aside from a little lack of polish.

agreed, there's just something that's weird about it, and some of the levels are damn tough. It's still fun to fire up and play every once in a while.