A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog FreeRunner

Azookara

If you read the first post about SFR on Retro, then please ignore it. This is a highly revised list of what's to come in this project.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

freerunnerlogo.png

Sonic FreeRunner is a mass project made by heavily modifying Mark and Damizean's BlitzSonic engine; built for the sole purpose of translating classic Sonic gameplay into the third dimension with little to no flaws, and possibly advancing beyond that level.

We need (more professional) people to help model/design/code for our project, as well as some comments and critique on the game. Any questions or suggestions?

Oh yeah, Sonic FreeRunner forums: sonicfreerunner.proboards.com

Looks nice so far, but I'd personally make the mini-map smaller, it takes up a pretty big chunk of the screen right now. Otherwise that the only thing that stuck out to me was that Sonic acceleration was rather odd. It seems like he's gaining speed to fast, especially for the classical style your trying to follow.

Looks nice so far, but I'd personally make the mini-map smaller, it takes up a pretty big chunk of the screen right now. Otherwise that the only thing that stuck out to me was that Sonic acceleration was rather odd. It seems like he's gaining speed to fast, especially for the classical style your trying to follow.

Understand though that naturally in the Genesis titles, Sonic has a high acceleration but not so high of a deceleration. The high speed is all in manuevering the rolling, of course.

Looks pretty smooth compared to a lot of the other 3d games i've seen. nice job. One thing, when sonic walks his animations are a little too slow in comparison to his speed. Speed up his walking frames a bit.

Yeah, that's because by default the engine makes the animation speed equal to the speed you are going, but it's incredibly easy to fix. We'll fix that soon enough.

That's another thing that's actually being fixed really soon, because we have a programmer that's already tightened the movement and turning in Blitzsonic with his own edit, but since one programmer is currently working on the build we haven't got to it yet.

And if you're referencing the camera turning as you press left or right, I understand that problem. That's just how we have it set by default. There will be an options menu to customize camera/movement controls and many other things as well quite soon enough.

Plus, a question: when will SAGE 2010 be? The team is planning on completing a small demo just in time for then.

That's another thing that's actually being fixed really soon, because we have a programmer that's already tightened the movement and turning in Blitzsonic with his own edit, but since one programmer is currently working on the build we haven't got to it yet.

And if you're referencing the camera turning as you press left or right, I understand that problem. That's just how we have it set by default. There will be an options menu to customize camera/movement controls and many other things as well quite soon enough.

Plus, a question: when will SAGE 2010 be? The team is planning on completing a small demo just in time for then.

I was talking about sonic's complete inability to change his velocity. Turning, i mean. Its like his momentum just carries him straight, and the only way you can turn is if you come to a near stop first.

• 2 weeks later...

Its cool looking but the color of his skin makes him look a bit zombish and I'm not sure I like the lip where the shirt sticks out further than the pants. Also except for the legs eggman's pants don't have any shading at all. Now they never had much shading in the classic games but they did have a bit around the lower part of his... bottom, I suggest you do the same.

• 1 month later...

I'd prefer a rounder Robotnik, where the shirt doesn't look like a shirt, but it looks awesome regardless. Good jorb.

Now how about a video where lack of turning isn't a game-breaking flaw? I've always liked this engine, but that deficiency has always bugged me.

Hummm...

According to time constraints and the lack of being able to make a good website within seconds, I announce that Sonic FreeRunner MIGHT not make it for SAGE this year, but just a short time after it. Unless if I can really send it in after today, because I swear I heard today was the last day to send in submissions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So, just if you guys don't know, the pre-alpha has been released!

^Go there for downloads and the like.

So what do you all think of the improvements made to the Blitzsonic engine? How different does it feel to all of you?

Btw, this game is almost nothing as it originally was, so don't expect the same thing planned in the beginning. I will explain later, however it is still (and will always remain) a translation of Genesis/MD-style Sonic games into 3D.

I'm with SonicFan2010, but actually, Sonic answers very well to camera changes and speed changes. It's awesome and something to consider unseen; I've never watched any videos of people actually making menus and editing the physics of BlitzSonic, and yet it's the best opensource method to make a 3D Sonci fangame.

The only thing that bothered me was that Windows Explorer stopped working by the two times I ran it 'till now, and both of them in the middle of my gameplay.

OK, so I've taken a look at it. Quite nice I think! Sonic controls pretty nicely, although my less-than-great co-ordination and reactions makes it more tricky than it should be at times. No enemies implemented? I did notice the buzz bomber model and textures there.

Yeah, BlitzSonic seems to be the only usable 3D Sonic kit out there (with SonicGDK not ready yet).

• 2 weeks later...