A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What does life mean to you?

Michael B.

I didn't mean it that far, I was talking about the mentally challenged, those who lack the ability to comprehend to a greater extent what's actually going on around them. Vegetablization, and Alzheimer's is a different matter entirely, and by no means pleasant things. I didn't mean what I said that radically, being unconscious for months, or even years is by no means a blessing and the same can be said for memory loss. . Then again, those with mental aren't really blessed either, but at least they have Innocence which is something most of us wish we had, and that was more of what I was talking about.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

lol @ autism being a blessing while other horrible mental disorders are a different matter entirely. I agree with DW that that's the sickest thing I've read in a long time too.

I've lived a fortunate life and at the end of it all, the only way I can feel like I deserved what I got is if I make something of my life. If all goes well I'll become some kind of doctor and make enough money to give my parents a comfortable retirement because I know they won't get one otherwise :<

For me, there is no one meaning to life. If so, life would be unnecessary once that meaning had been met. If this universe is infinite, how can there be one meaning? The meaning of life for an individual is whatever they choose it to be, IMO.

Well, the universe may be infinite, but humanity is definitely only going to be around for a little while. If nothing else kills us by then, the sun is definitely going to explode within 5 billion years... though really I doubt we'd be around that long anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I love you.

But there's no point to life. Except the point we make for ourselves. For me, the point of life is to gain as much knowledge as we can before we die. If one dies happy, their life is a success.

Also the church should have died off long ago.

The true meaning of life is, to live it, and to bring new lifes to replace the gone ones.
That's not meaning...that's instinct. I would have hoped we evolved beyond that line of thinking long ago. =(

I love you.

But there's no point to life. Except the point we make for ourselves. For me, the point of life is to gain as much knowledge as we can before we die. If one dies happy, their life is a success.

Also the church should have died off long ago.

That's not meaning...that's instinct. I would have hoped we evolved beyond that line of thinking long ago. =(

I'm sorry what? The meaning of life is what we want it to be? But it can't be that? Thats dumb. I'm sorry.

I love that the point of the topic is "What does life mean to YOU" but several posts are telling other posters they're wrong and stupid/selfish. Like DW's reply to Delta Hedgehog or Snooky's reply to Scarletdark
@Duckboy: Contradictories at their best.

Why yall gotta hate? =(

Because you said that instinct is bad reason to live. It works pretty awesomely for everyone else, why can't humans do it sometimes?
Because we should evolve (and arguably are evolving) beyond the use of instincts as our primary motivating factor, and instead use logic and reasoning. And because instinct isn't a reason to live in the first place, it's just a small part of life.

Whoa there, Snooky. I never meant to hate and I don't think there was anything in my wording that implied I did. I'm just summing up some of what Duckboy said. And frankly, you NEED both reason AND instinct to live. It's not reason that wakes you up, it's instinct. Reason can help you get by, but you rely on instinct when you don't even know it.

Only at SFGHQ could a topic about life turn into an argument XD.
I'm not trying to argue, I just like having deep discussions :P
Whoa there, Snooky. I never meant to hate and I don't think there was anything in my wording that implied I did. I'm just summing up some of what Duckboy said. And frankly, you NEED both reason AND instinct to live. It's not reason that wakes you up, it's instinct. Reason can help you get by, but you rely on instinct when you don't even know it.
Of course I know it, but with every generation mankind should learn to rely less and less on it. And to be more precise, it's not instinct that wakes you up; at least, not conscious instinct, which is what I'm referring to. Instinct is nothing more than knowledge you are born with, not academic knowledge, not even knowledge of how things work, but basic knowledge of communication and action. Of course we need instincts, but my point was they shouldn't be our primary factor of motivation in life. Instinct tells us to eat, to sleep, etcetc. Reason and logic tell us what to eat, when to sleep, how to get out of a sticky situation, how to fix things that are broken, etc.

Also, you're taking me too seriously about the hate thing. :P

I want to know why im here, and if there is anything akin to a god in this universe. If i never find that out....well, i just want to make games. Or at least do something that will have me remembered.....you know what, to hell with that; I don't want to die. If i could live forever, i would be able to help so many people and find out so many things. If not forever, than at least for 1000 years. Maybe 2000.....

....bottom line? It means nothing much to me because i dont know what it's all for. I like having a reason for things, you know? My reason for living currently is to have fun and make other around me be happy. Also to help people.

But the cold hard truth is, at one point, we are all going to die. Be it by some giant meteor or a dying/exploding sun, or even our own doing, this planet wont be here forever. Even if humans were to migrate somewhere else and die off elsewhere....whats it all for? If there is no "life after death", then what the hell is the point of life? Why are we made to cling to it when outside of just being there for the hell of it, we are here for no reason?

Yeah i have no clue what life means to me. Its all gravy though, so ill just stick to what duckboy said: Make money, Get Bitches.