A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What does life mean to you?

Michael B.

After more then enough personal debate on the subject, I've found my own answer to the age old question, What is the meaning of life?

For me the answer is sharing, but don't take that I only mean that materially. I believe We should all work for the benefit of everyone, and not just ourselves. We should understand that everyone deserves the light of day, and we have no right to give value to a person. We should be willing to help those in need, and teach those who need to learn. We also shouldn't confine ourselves to what we believe in, but keep an open mind because we can't always be right.

Feel free to prove me wrong, or just state your opinion on the matter. I'd like to hear what you all have to say on the subject, because it's always an interesting one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no point. I mean, it's rediculously refreshing to believe there could be some point (I mean, what are the chances we came to be by chance?) but in any case no potential deity has influenced our lives by actions. (Probably. There's no proper proof; we have to put our faith in it. Unfortunately, I have no faith, which causes me to search for probable answers.)

I suppose our point as a species is to survive as long as possible, to reproduce to continue our heritage and to become as powerful as probable in our societies. Everything else is unwittingly self-induced.

I could go into a whole rant on how religions have twisted people, but I'm not gonna. This topic hasn't been around for long; why bring it to a religion-induced flamefest end so quickly?

EDIT: Didn't see Eminence's post. That's definetly a good reason too.

In my perspective, to serve God in his kingdom. But thats just me.

In exchange for what exactly? Love? My parent's always have had my love, but even they stopped desiring to serve me once I was able to fend for myself. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to serve an omnipotent being for all of eternity.

And how selfish. It's not enough to serve from outside His kingdom eh? It's only worth prostrating yourself if you get to be on your hands and knees in some fancy God realm.

As for me, all I want out of life is more of it.

Working for the benefit of everyone is great and all, but the meaning of life is to live a great one and try to live on in memories and other things. Whatever people do, they do for themselves, whether its gain at the loss of others or its the warm fuzzy feeling of helping someone. People help others for themselves.

The reason sharing ideas is good is because then people have your ideas and you can feel like people will at least remember them, which makes the ideas you've created last forever. Everyone just wants to be awesome and live forever.

Yeah, I can see where your all coming form, and I'm not going to tear apart anyone's posts directly as this is a matter of opinion. This topic is more philosophy then a debate, as we all see things differently. Putting meaning into life is something we do to have reason to keep living. For some people it is religion, the promise of something after we are gone, or for others material, the strive to have more.

As for religion as a whole, I'd rather have believed in a god that might not be real than have lived with no belief at all.

Edit: Responding to post above; Though we do often work only for ourselves, does that make it right? We can never say whether people have ever been selfless, but it's best to understand that selfishness has a harsh tendency to corrupt things.

And that's reasonable, what we've done and who/what we are and have doesn't make us any better then anyone else. They didn't say "that all men are created equal" for no reason, but I'm going to assume they weren't being sexist and say that the Declaration of Independence refers to men as race, not as a gender.

The statement that all men are created equal is one of the finest utterances of bullshit throughout all time. You look around and you see some people born who will die in their teens, some who will never be able to form a complete rational thought, some who are predisposed to lose their minds in their thirties, and some who don't even get that much. It's such a cute ideal and so easy to say that people will cling to it for a good long while, but until we can actually do something to make that statement a little more of a reality instead of an ideal, it'll just be idle rhetoric thrown out to make people feel good about themselves.

As for religion as a whole, I'd rather have believed in a god that might not be real than have lived with no belief at all.

But not believing in a god that may not be real is a belief in itself and I'd rather believe in something I know exists rather than something that I think is made-up.

For me, the meaning of life is just to enjoy it while its here. Really thats it, as long as I'm happy doing what I am doing in the now, then really there is nothing else I could possibly give a shit about.

To fap to Raels pixels. :aparty:

I could in reality talk about my religious life and how the Lord wants me to follow, but I know somehow one person will reply, and this could become a religious debates which will induce many headache, but that's probably an irrational assumption :v

not if I was at mfgg though

I've got religious friends personally, and we're cool in the fact that I don't preach to them about how wrong I think they are, and they don't preach to me on how wrong I am. We're pretty accepting of one anothers personal beliefs rather than try and shove ours down eachothers throats.

As for everyone being created equal, I believe that to be at least true to as far as people as a whole. I believe those of us who can't understand what is going on around them to be blessed, the world is a unfair and horrible place. Does that mean I support ignorance? No, there's a difference. Yes, some people are victim to chance, but that doesn't mean they're any less important then any one of us.

Back on to religion, It's the idea of believing something that we might not ever be able to fully understand. If it's been around so long, there's got to be some truth to it? Maybe, and I'll take my chances if I chose wrong. Now let's set aside religion before it takes over this topic.

I want to simply enjoy myself, doing whatever interests me at the moment. Then, when I die, I die. *shrugs*

Basically this. Since I don't believe in an afterlife and don't really have any major goals aside from finishing college and getting an average job to support myself, I'm just going to indulge in things I enjoy until I kick the bucket.

I believe those of us who can't understand what is going on around them to be blessed, the world is a unfair and horrible place.

Yeah, that's one of the sickest things I've read in ages. Alzheimer's is not a blessing. Being born in a persistent vegetative state is not a blessing. Huntington's is not a blessing. Multiple Sclerosis is not a blessing. Anything that could make you think otherwise is nothing short of poison.

the meaning of life is to poon as many milfs as possible.

my current score is 0 because i'm in a longterm relationbleerruutghg.

but if it ever ends, i know where all the 30+ women hang out (flares in leeds) and i'll be heading straight there.