A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Cave Story anyone?

tentril

So, that freeware game thats a super awesome Metroid/Castlevania kind of thing is now a WiiWare game. Twelve dollars for the same game I've been playing for like three years, but they added a hard mode, boss rush, and time attack for the secret last level.

They also redid the music and graphics. A lot of its nice, but a few of the songs were changed in odd ways, and a few of the characters look strange with the added detail.

http://www.cavestory.com/

http://www.nicalis.com/blog/

Its still available for free download if you haven't played it and haven't heard how much it deserves to be purchased.

tl;dr Cave Story came out with a few new modes and new graphics/music. Anyone else get it?

Beat it last year on PC.

Honestly, its the best videogame ive played in years, and i do mean years. I rarely can force myself to play through a game twice back to back, but ive beaten cavestory three times already. Only game ive been able to do that with recently has been BoF Dragon Quarter, RE4 and the PSO series. And of course sonic.

Ive been looking at the Wii remake...honestly, whoever they got to remix the music is incompetent as all hell and needs to promptly retire his horrible career. Its absolutely horrible. Do NOT give the new soundtrack a chance, honestly i cant even believe they released it. If they give you the option, from the start of the game just play through entirely with the original, because the music in that game was actually very memorable.

They do have the option, and I agree with you for the most part, but I figured I would have new music my first play through. A few of the songs are still as good as the originals, just in a different way. After this, I'm going to switch to original music though.

Beat it last year on PC.

Honestly, its the best videogame ive played in years, and i do mean years. I rarely can force myself to play through a game twice back to back, but ive beaten cavestory three times already. Only game ive been able to do that with recently has been BoF Dragon Quarter, RE4 and the PSO series. And of course sonic.

Ive been looking at the Wii remake...honestly, whoever they got to remix the music is incompetent as all hell and needs to promptly retire his horrible career. Its absolutely horrible. Do NOT give the new soundtrack a chance, honestly i cant even believe they released it. If they give you the option, from the start of the game just play through entirely with the original, because the music in that game was actually very memorable.

Did you beat the bonus level of hell? I freakin' love cavestory and plan on getting it for the Wii as soon as I start finding that I have a huge block of free time to enjoy it.

Its pretty annoying how on half of the songs, they made the melody the quietest part and it randomly switches instruments. Other songs, are very good versions. I wish I could choose particular songs to be original instead of everything or nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is an unforgivable bump, but...

Did you beat the bonus level of hell? I freakin' love cavestory and plan on getting it for the Wii as soon as I start finding that I have a huge block of free time to enjoy it.

Yeah, after the first blind playthrough i went around the internet looking for stuff i might have missed, and when i found out you could rescue curly i was dumbstruck. I literately downloaded the game on a whim, and got hooked from the moment i started.

Not to mention, when she kicks the bucket it was one of the most depressing moments in videogame history for me. Fuck Aerith, this chick didnt even get music for her death and it hurt way more. Mostly because i was calling her a selfish bitch right before it happened. Then the screen came back and i was all like ".....Oh.") In fact, for what this game was, its storyline was far more gripping than I expected. Simple and to-the-point definitely works best sometimes.

The hidden level was named right on point. It took multiple multiple playthroughs of the near Nintendo-Hard difficulty to finally get it right. Getting the Spur definitely made it easier though.

If i had a Wii, i'd definitely buy this game again. The guy deserves to get paid for the game, and all of you should buy it too.