A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Chris Senn's Project S canceled

Rael0505

Would you care to describe the mechanics behind the proposed project S then? I was under the impression that it was a 3D game in a similar vein to the concept behind Sonic Xtreme.

You might as well ask Cy, we were using his engine. But still. Basically, it was supposed to be basically a 3D Sonic game if it were built exclusively for the PC - WASD movement, use the mouse for the camera, mouse buttons for jump and spin-dash, etc. There was also 2.5D spots, I disliked their use beyond using them for stuff like loops, because this was supposed to be a 3D game, dangit.

In other news, the poll results for what stuff people want to see most has been released, and the story material is in the top five. Excuse me while I start gathering together my various documents.

Professionals cease to be professionals once they start working for free.

As I understand it, thats the entire distinction between amateur and professional.

Also, I only remember seeing one video of Sonic Xtreme and it didn't really look too impressive. As for Project S, I just heard of it when this topic was posted.

Well, I could be wrong, but I thought he was still working, but this was like a personal, side project in his free time (outside of work)... or at least that's what it seemed like when I briefly looked through that topic on how he had worked on a handful of games some of which I thought where recent.

The whole thing is moot anyway because you don't even get that from people who get paid sometimes :X

What I am saying is that there were people working on this who could/or are doing it for a living and yet despite that, the Sonic 3D Fangame curse strikes again :0

With professionals in these type of fields you'll often find them working hard, if not harder on their personal/side projects than their paid projects. Doesn't mean they aren't working at their normal job, but you get it.

*sigh* Another good project dies...

Have you ever heard of Freeware and/or Open Source?

Some great open source / freeware apps include FireFox, Gimp, and Blender. Also, there are countless (free) professional libraries including Bullet Physics, SDL, OpenGL, Irrlicht, Ogre, and many others. In addition, there is also a free operating system (linux).

Now, it is true that most open source (or freeware) projects lag behind commercial products. However, saying that they are "bad" or "below professional quality" is simply not true.

No, I'm only finishing a CS major this year, of course I've never heard of that shit.

Really though, the amount of open source projects that fail greatly exceed the number of open source projects that end up successful, a lot like fangames. Blender and Gimp? Proprietary software kicks the utter crap out of those two. As for Firefox, most of the key people there aren't really working for free. Linus Torvalds doesn't do most of his work for free either. Richard Stallman, another huge open source software guy, is only able to be what he is because he works in academia. Then there is Apache server... where some companies are making megabucks just supporting the stuff...

So yeah, when you get right down to it, I'd say that if you are working on something with no income coming out of it, whether it's incidental to the actual job or not, you aren't likely to get good results.

Also, that wikipedia referencing bullshit doesn't fly here.

Really though, the amount of open source projects that fail greatly exceed the number of open source projects that end up successful, a lot like fangames.
So yeah, when you get right down to it, I'd say that if you are working on something with no income coming out of it, whether it's incidental to the actual job or not, you aren't likely to get good results.

That it true for most open source / freeware apps. However, there are some rare exceptions to the rule. For example, I suggest that you look into some of the work done by Erwin Coumans. He's a software developer at Sony but (in his free time) works on fantastic libraries and applications for free. His Bullet Physics library is free and open source. It has even been used in Hollywood films (link)(link).

Anyways...

Is there any word on what is going to happen to the project? If it was released as open source, the community would at least have the opportunity to revive the project. It would be waste to see it just die like this, but the final decision is up to the developers.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the answer:

We appreciate how patient our fans have been, and how much they have supported our efforts. Although we can't provide you with a playable game, we would like to see how much interest there is in the materials we did create. If you would like, please vote for what you would most like shared from Project-S. Click here to vote. (please vote only once)