A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

I hoped we were done talking about this game. But its back so I'll just say this torch gimmick are not classic Sonic at all. -_- They just don't understand.

I would have liked to see the fire shield make a return and use that as the torch, but I guess this is aight. I rarely make compromises with this game, but I'll let them have this one.

I would have liked to see the fire shield make a return and use that as the torch...

OMG YES. No lie here, that HAD to have been the best non-level-specific gimmick put in a Sonic game. (Sonic the fireball FUCK YEAH) If they're "listening" so much, why doesn't anyone pitch the idea for having the S3&K shields back? Maybe they did, but who knows?

You could always assign it to different face buttons. Like, All your face buttons would function as a jump, but pressing one button twice would do a homing attack while doing the same to another button would do the elemental shield/attack.

Edit: (just in case you might not know what I'm talking about) For example, let's use a Genesis controller.

joy010.jpg

A, B, and C would be used as Jump buttons if pressed once.

B and C, when pressed twice, would cause Sonic to do a homing attack.

A, when pressed twice would allow Sonic to use attacks/abilities granted by the Elemental shields.

You could always assign it to different face buttons. Like, All your face buttons would function as a jump, but pressing one button twice would do a homing attack while doing the same to another button would do the elemental shield/attack.

True.......for consoles anyway.

However, this is being made on the iPhone too and I know first hand that playing sonic on that platform with only one button is quite difficult. Assigning another would be quite a burden. I think that it would be a wise decision to just take out the homing attack next episode...but I doubt that will happen.

Why such complicated things, why dont just negate the homing attack with some of the Elemental shields like Electro and Bubble and for Fire Shield just add a fireball effect to the homing attack with a blast when you hit an enemy with it allowing to destroy enemies nearby also as well being a torch.

And for the Electro and Bubble just having the normal Bounce/double jump effect but without the homing instead, i mean why you want a homing attack if you have a bouncing move that let you reach places or keep momentum, and the electro as well of doing the same thing but magnetizing rings as well, also they can have a extra effect i dunno, electro kinda giving the abillity to magnetize into some kind of metal gimnick or a magnet bed similar to the electric beds of Death Egg allowing sonic to "float" to the another side, and the bubble well it could be used as well as the Normal Shield but more powerful, allowing sonic to bounce off the energy bullets that comes at him, but as well getting more weaker with every hit, i dunno just an idea.

I would have liked to see the fire shield make a return and use that as the torch, but I guess this is aight. I rarely make compromises with this game, but I'll let them have this one.

If it has going to be done that would be a good way to do it. Sonic gimmicks are usually a little bit more original than a flashlight gimmick though.

You could always assign it to different face buttons.

Not trying to either be a jerk or to defend SEGA, but it doesn't goes like this. The fans want Sonic like in Megadrive, and in Megadrive, all the buttons assigned to Sonic made him only jump, except if the button was pressed in mid-air.

This is why I think that torch gimmick from Lost Labyrinth will kinda suck; if it's not a common collectable, they'll have to assign one button of the controller for picking it up.

Man, the more videos I watch of this game, the more I see that the homing attack just takes away all the difficulty. You just zip from badnik to vine to monitor to other bullshit. Where's the platforming? Also, the bosses look like a bunch of bitches versus Sonic's homing attack.

Oh, and more springs, please. Oh, and more terrible rolling physics, please.

It really comes as no surprise that the design tactics give this game a disgustingly Dimps kind of touch. Well, no duh, it IS Dimps that is developing it, so what can you expect from them, the creators of the Advance and Rush series? Ratings wise, this game will do good. I mean, reference the mentioned works on the mainstream media gaming sites. Those schmucks fell for that bullshit real easily. But how it does among players like you and me? Different story, quite a different story it will be.

...Anywho...

While there are the issues with this game and the skepticism that comes about with the alleged "feedback" and "listening" on Sega's part, I'll still wait for more to come. I mean, Q4 2010 HASN'T even come around... yet. Bring it on, "Sonic Team"...

I really don't think the developer matters so much at least not as far as programming and graphics are conercered. They just needed to higher someone who understands the classics and is intouch with the community enough to know what we want. Someone who could critque stuff for them much in the sameway we do here in the community and then go back and actually fix it. There quite a few people at SFGHQ I could actually see being good at that job.

That would have worked a lot better than this crap they are trying to sell us now, about how they are listening to the community and Retro is supposidly in contact with Sega and voicing they're concerns.

Anyway...I also heard from sonic stadium that they made some changes to his animations.

And I quote:

"edits include a balance to difficulty to make tougher sections easier, Sonic reaching full speed and ‘wheel-of-feet’ faster, and an update to Sonic’s running animation."

Has anyone actually SEEN this update to sonics running animation.

• 2 weeks later...