A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Upgrade. Also, a little SFGHQ proposal

DimensionWarped

Probably two or three of you have some small interest in my comparative downtime over the last week. I built a new computer over Saturday and Sunday (because my last one was just so old... not really, but my brother needed something worthwhile and I was excited about DX11 and blah blah blah) so anyway, new computer has been up and running, but without network since Sunday. Today I finally installed a network card and so now I'm back in business. I'll go ahead and start talking about the details...

Processor: AMD Phenom IIx4 (3.2ghz stock, 4 cores)

Graphics: Radeon 5770 (not sure how much VRAM, I think a gig?)

Memory: 4gb of DDR3 1300mhz (bit of a step back in terms of sheer from the old box, but I'll add some more this Summer when I go to add a second graphics card).

Spent forever trying to solve a problem while putting it together that ended up coming from the damned heatsync unseating the processor... but yeah, it only ended up taking around 4 hours to figure it out (thought the power switch wasn't working for the longest time)

As for other details that no one really cares about:

OS: Windows 7/Kubuntu (with Grub handling the multi-boot stuff) - accidentally installed 32 bit kubuntu, so next on the agenda is undoing that mess.

Hard Disk: Typical Western Digital 7200 RPM 1TB hard disk.

Optical: LiteOn DVD R+-W with bitsetting

Power Supply: Corsair 750w (it has these awesome black fabricy thingies over the cables which I haven't seen before)

I also got a cool ass mouse. Which is unusual for me since I usually just settle for cheap 10 dollar mice. Now if only I had a keyboard to match...

I just spent the last hour playing with fans because the stock fans for the case were ridiculously noisy and the damn case has like 5 places for case fans.

But yeah, all is good now and I'm currently in the process of downloading software to facilitate my Winter activities.

So yeah, fancy new computer aside, I'll take this opportunity to say... we should try to do something fun over Christmas break. Maybe a contest? I'm sure most of us have plenty of free time right now. I have some pretty interesting themes in mind.

I was thinking either that or a sprite contest. Maybe both.

I'd be up for a sprite contest...only thing is, if its only going to be done over the break then I can't make it sadly! I'll be flying home on Saturday, where I'll be without all my tools for two weeks.

But I'd gladly watch I guess!

Yeah I'll have access to that stuff. I know though for a week I won't be touching any sort of spriting related stuff at any rate, since all my Mom's place has is a laptop. If I can find time at my Dads place to do some spriting on his computer then maybe, but I have a feeling I'll be spending more time with the family than on my comp hah. Primarily too I do my spriting in Photoshop, so its gonna be fun switching back to paint if I do find the time :D!

A sprite contest sounds good.

I'm not sure whether this is doable, but maybe we could try and make a community snow level? Everybody adds something they can: sprites, baddies, background, BGMs, sound effects, etc. Heck, if somebody can only sprite some snow-covered grass, they can make that as well. We'd just have to decide on the style (genesis/advance/whatever).

It's very difficult to feel that no amount of contests or events are going to solve the stagnation problems this community has.

I'm not sure I can fully articulate what these problems are, since they're not physical. It's more like a general sense of complacency, melancholy, mediocrity and a few other five-dollar words. If nobody gives a shit then no amount of horse corpse flogging will make them give a shit. I'm fully open to suggestions.

=Smidge=

I think that when I was here, about 6 years ago, there was the same amount of people like now, but there was a lot more activity. Heck, we have 4 main sections: General Discussion, Art, Fangame Discussion and Help forum, and some members limit themselves to only one section.

A lot of people are just plain afraid to post anything "discussion worthy" because chances are everybody already found out about it (I think someone even posted some gaming news once, and there was a response along the lines of "It's been on Kotaku since this morning"), or because they don't think it will be "useful or witty". It could also be because "2D fangames" are blazé, but the fact that almost no one got anything done half a decade ago kinda throws that argument out the window.

The obvious solution would be to make people post more, but you can't really do that unless you have someone with the charisma of Bruce Campbell inspire us all while wrestling a bear. The closest thing we have is Brad, but I doubt he'd wrestle a bear for our sake.

I've always felt that I'm barely part of this community, because I've never contributed anything. I want to do something, but I've never found any time really. So thats really the only reason I don't post that much.

Can you critique? Then that's all you need to be fine here, and you'll also contribute. The only reason I don't post much is because there's a language barrier.

and there was a response along the lines of "It's been on Kotaku since this morning"

That's incredibly stupid. Not everyone visits Kotaku, nor they have to. If it's discussion worthy, then there's no problem with posting it here instead of limiting themselves to only "kotaku".

We'd just have to decide on the style (genesis/advance/whatever).

The majority would say genesis. There aren't much good-looking fangames out there with advance graphics, are there?

A sprite contest sounds good.

I'm not sure whether this is doable, but maybe we could try and make a community snow level? Everybody adds something they can: sprites, baddies, background, BGMs, sound effects, etc. Heck, if somebody can only sprite some snow-covered grass, they can make that as well. We'd just have to decide on the style (genesis/advance/whatever).

I was actually thinking about just that. I'm not sure if we can keep the style consistent though or even get everyone to agree on a theme. If anyone else wants to try that though, I'm game for helping out.

It's very difficult to feel that no amount of contests or events are going to solve the stagnation problems this community has.

I'm not sure I can fully articulate what these problems are, since they're not physical. It's more like a general sense of complacency, melancholy, mediocrity and a few other five-dollar words. If nobody gives a shit then no amount of horse corpse flogging will make them give a shit. I'm fully open to suggestions.

=Smidge=

Yeah, I know that. But I'm not trying to really stop stagnation with this, I'm just suggesting that we try to have a little bit of fun as a community over the break. I mean, sure, I would like to see everyone getting their motivation back, but I know that's not just going to happen suddenly.

its just gotten really hard to please people. Thats all. Anything that will please someone takes too much time to actually finish without unnatural/irrational amounts of dedication.

For what it takes to finish a "good" sonic fangame these days, you might as well just create your own original indie game. I'll be damned if i spend months of work creating custom BGs and music for a sonic fangame. Thats just me though.

There's no more excitement in the forums. All, or most of the "cool" members left. We only get the Sage members, then poof. Back to low activity. Or people are starting to get tired of Sonic fangame of keep with what's considered the "standard" for decent fangame. Loops an all that. Petty much whatever "juice" we had a few years ago is pretty much gone.

Anywaym I'm up for the minigame or sprite contest. I have about 3 weeks off. So whatever.