A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

stactic Platformers

I figured I'd make this post for one of the oldest, yet one of my biggest problems as an MMF2 programmer. That was making a platformer engine with out using extensions.

Though, as much as I know about stactic movement, the anti-sink has been a great flaw. But, what made it worse, was programing jump through platforms.

I tried to create dozens of ways to make jump through plat forms, but none of them hardly did the trick.

I made this post to see how I can relearn stactic platfoming.

As for the platform issue, I imagine you could have a 'platform' sensor, set far enough above Sonic that if he jumps from under a platform, it'll be a little above the platform before Sonic's top sensor hits it. Then you could write code like so...

*If Sonic's top sensor hits background

*And if Sonic's platform sensor hits background

*And if Sonic ISN'T overlapping the background (IE: He's not halfway through the platform)

---------> Stop Sonic's jump

---------> Enable Sonic's ground sensor

*If Sonic's top sensor hits background

*But if Sonic's platform sensor DOESN'T hit background

---------> Don't stop Sonic's jump

---------> Disable Sonic's ground sensor (So he doesn't get stuck halfway through it)

Statics are dead easy, so is Anti-Sink You can sue MMF2's built-in fastloop for that.

Don't you know that "fastloops" are simply the way in MMF2 to repeatedly process a set of events by an amount you specify, which on its own has absolutely nothing to do with static engines or "anti-sink"? You should have actually tried explaining the procedure dude. =[

Like USC did. =]

That's they way I do it.=E

ss-2.png

If GroundSensor2 is overlapping "0.Group"

--Set Fastloop "nosink" to 32

On loop "nosink"

If GroundSensor is overlapping "0.Group"

---Set Y Position of PlayerMask To Y( "Mask" )-1

---Set Y Position of GroundSensor To Y( "GroundSensor" )-1

---Set Y Position of GroundSensor2 To Y( "GroundSensor2" )-1

What i would of done is have a flag while your jumping that temp disables collision with the floor.

Flag1=0

("Bottom") Overlaping Group 0 *COLLISION CODE HERE*

Otherwise go right through.

Otherwise the flags would be triggered by many things such as, jumping variables and/or YSpeed.

Maybe I'll make an example, for the sake of this thread.

@Death_Daniel: The only problem with *just* disabling the ground sensor is that I'm sure he doesn't want to be able to jump through ALL backgrounds. IE: If there's a low ceiling or something, he'd probably want Sonic to not be able to jump through it.

@Death_Daniel: The only problem with *just* disabling the ground sensor is that I'm sure he doesn't want to be able to jump through ALL backgrounds. IE: If there's a low ceiling or something, he'd probably want Sonic to not be able to jump through it.

Thats a good point. I didn't think of that. I was thinking towards the Activeplatform......Not backdrop.

Edit: Azu is also talking about Active ("group0")s and ("group1")s.

@Azu: You're using the fastloop to run the second overlap check 32 times, which is the same as just copy/pasting it so there are 32 copies. =P

Much better example though. My only concern would be that I don't know what groundsensor is compared to groundsensor2, so if you made a quick screenshot of the two sensors around a situation where the fastloop would be triggered and put the screenshot up with your post, it would compliment your technique that much more. ;>