A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

In Defense of the Classic Controller

Cyber Rat

yea? what does this mean?

The playstation 4 might have something like a wiimote?

No, it'd rather give you no controller at all - Which wouldn't give you the same feel as when you're playing with a classic controller. They give you more freedom than having to move around your room; What seems better: To do that, or to just easily press a button? My answer is the latter option.

when you're stressed from work/school and just want to lay down and play a game, playing via controller is more relaxing than jumping around.

That's pretty obvious to me. Jumping around like some kind of monkey when you're stressed doesn't feel like you're getting any less tensed up.

I think it'd be cool if instead of controlling the characters with your body it was a strict VR type thing where you really don't do the actions and only think you do ala Matrix... but other than that, VR is somewhat limited by my own lazy ass. That and my inability to run 300 miles per hour or jump 10 feet in the air.

While all the motion thing is interesting, it is stupid to get rid of the classic gaming controllers.

Like it was said above, you're not gonna be running around, jumping, crouching, and doing all sorts of shit while playing. Worse if you're in a small room in a 2nd floor with people below, or up late.

Not to mention it won't be the same thing in terms of speed, accuracy and effectiveness.

If you have the choice of playing a motion platform game with broken response times or just run and jump in a courtyard or park with more freedom, which would you choose?

I want to play with headphones and a damn plastic object with buttons to press, and not jumble all over the living room.

Motion controls might be interesting, and there are games that use it well, but the videogame industry was born with controller objects, and it should remain like that.

Aww come on would it be neat to play Sonic with no controller? Take Green Hill Zone. Run like hell, jump 20 times, do a summersault. Ug... never mind I guess classic controllers are needed.

Ditto. Next up: Motion Metal Gear Solid. Oh yeah, I'll break over 9000 objects in the room while trying to roll and dodge bullets.

Motion controls might be interesting, and there are games that use it well, but the videogame industry was born with controller objects, and it should remain like that.

Ditto. Next up: Motion Metal Gear Solid. Oh yeah, I'll break over 9000 objects in the room while trying to roll and dodge bullets.

Plus if you're deficient of some part of your body like an arm or a leg, you won't be able to play games that requires you to use them at least efficiently. What about playing a fighting game like the one that was shown in Project Natal's first video? Or the skating one as another example.. No legs, no dice. Saying this will be "more accessible for all" is bullshit.

Well, with the exception of a few games like Resident Evil 4 and Conduit, most "motion controls" don't really lend too much to gameplay. And you will never be able to play a game like Guilty Gear or Street Fighter with crappy motion controls. I guess that's why I have this for my Wii...

fightstickwii.jpg

To me motion controllers, and I mean ALL motion controllers, mind controllers, giant fucking plastic skateboards, and bathroom scales will always be gimmicks. Some may be more useful than others (Wii Fit has actually helped me alot and DDR is just fun) but they will always be gimmicks. They will always have the stigma of being gimmicks and nothing can replace a D-pad and 4 buttons. Nothing.

The 'accessible for all' thing makes it sound like you needed a degree in gaming to have been able to use a controller at all.

Same thing's happening with computers, that seems these days you need a PhD in Computer Science in order to be able to punch a couple of commands in the good ol' console.

Except...

The D-pad with FIVE buttons!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaa!

Wait. That's crazy enough to work. What about... six buttons?

All tomfoolery aside, why is the general public such a huge target for videogames now? I think the most recent (if by some chances VG cats updated then the previous VG cats) VG cats issue explains the whole issue quite well.

I think the most recent (if by some chances VG cats updated then the previous VG cats) VG cats issue explains the whole issue quite well.

If you mean this one, it's actually aimed

As for your question as to why the general public is the target of games, my take on it is exactly because they're the general public. You have the 'hardcore' gamers, which actually require an effort to cater to, and then you have the general public which think games are for geeks, but are easily attracted with shiny (or in this case 'swinging') objects, if for no other reason, then because it's more fun for the average teenage girl to do virtual cooking and to play virtual tennis by mimicking the necessary moves instead of sitting in the sofa and pressing buttons to plow through a ninja army.

Again, my take on it.