A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Adventure 3: Full Dark Sonic

(sorry for my poor englisch sometimes) I see you looking at the screen. you probably think.. Nahh.. not again a fangame with the name 'Sonic adventure 3', wel actually this game isn't really new. Because it's in progress now for 2 years. Why is it in progress for over 2 years? hundreds of people have asked me why this game takes so long. Let me explain. I started as a newbie 2 years ago with making games. The first game i was working on was: Sonic Adventure 3: Full Dark Sonic

sa3.th.png

I was learning more and more. So, i had to redisign manny levels. Again and again. And the engine to. That's why this game takes so long. Besides, i don't work that much on it. I have a bussy life.

sssssn.th.png

'Sonic Adventure 3: Full dark sonic' is a big.... REally big fangame. It is ussing sonic advance sprites because they really fit with this game. The game has a pretty big story with over 25 cutscenes made in pivot AND gamemaker. ( pivot works really great with making sprite movies) The game also features 13 zones with 2,3 or 4 acts and an adventure field.

This video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRn_-Nh2U6o shows a speed stage ( with not much platforming. Mostly speed) As you can see is my engine for 99% the same as the sonic rush engine.

Check www.sa3fulldarksonic.tk for updates, screens and some other videos

The video looks good. I only hope the game doesn't play with minimum interaction from the player. I see a lot of springs, grinds, and whatnot forcing you into a direction instead of some good ol' platforming. Truth be told, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 had the 'railroading' when it came to the Sonic/Shadow levels, but there was still some interaction.

The main problem with 2D speed is that, unlike 3D, you can't see where you're going.

Also, a little more modesty wouldn't kill you.

Level design is quite boring. The game tries to go for a speed that's practically unrealistic in a 2D game, and the level design just seems like it's making a passage for you to run through rather than exposing platforming elements and a structure that just seems....interactive like CyberRat ranted about already.

The game itself actually just doesn't make me want to play it at all. =/

It's just constant running, regardless of the other little things that are there.

The video looks good. I only hope the game doesn't play with minimum interaction from the player. I see a lot of springs, grinds, and whatnot forcing you into a direction instead of some good ol' platforming. Truth be told, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 had the 'railroading' when it came to the Sonic/Shadow levels, but there was still some interaction.

The main problem with 2D speed is that, unlike 3D, you can't see where you're going.

Also, a little more modesty wouldn't kill you.

nahh the leveldesign isn't that hard. also for new players. And a bit practice is always fun in sonic games. Thats why i like sonic unleashed 360 more than the wii version.. the wii version is to easy. And there will be more interaction

The only thing I'm noticing is that you've got a lot of uhh, projects on the go it seems. Are you going to start focusing on just one? That way you can maybe improve all the aspects that people are finding bad with what you've got so far without having to worry about a thousand different projects all at once.

Otherwise I really don't have loads to say, since everyone else has said a lot of things that needed to be said. Whatever though, right now everything here is pretty much better than what I can do at the moment xD

nahh the leveldesign isn't that hard. also for new players. And a bit practice is always fun in sonic games. Thats why i like sonic unleashed 360 more than the wii version.. the wii version is to easy. And there will be more interaction

You completely missed his point. The level design is boring, repetitive- the game practically plays itself. It almost looks as if though on at least 3 separate occasions you could completely let go of the controls and would continue on it's own. Also, as he said, in a 3D game you can see a lot further in front of you than you can in a 2D game. At the very least make your game's resolution a widescreen one, although that won't change the fact, without even trying to keep track, I found 2 sets of 2 separate areas that were exactly the same in the level. Take some criticism, honestly.

I see a lot of springs, grinds, and whatnot forcing you into a direction instead of some good ol' platforming.

To be honest, thats exactly what Sonic Rush and Sonic Unleashed were to me. I was able to beat both games without putting my hands on the controller, which is something that I definetely don't like in the real games. So, yeah that is something that needs to be fixed.

This level is just running, grinding springs, enemies, and that's about it. You seriously need to program some fun gimmicks that will give each level its own unique experience.

Also, I watched some of your other videos on YouTube and that "Wave Ocean" level has sprites from Sonic DL Adventure. Did you ask the creator for those?

Last, those robot sprites are made by NeoX. http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/sprites_2007_Damien/SONIC_archives/Badniks_06_Gunnerbot.png

What I'm trying to say here is: Give credit.

It also doesn't help that the enemies seem to serve the primary purpose of being targets for your homing attack rather than being obstacles to impede you.

Yeah, most of them are used for you to attack so you can reach other places. Not as an obstacle.

Yeah, most of them are used for you to attack so you can reach other places. Not as an obstacle.
Which is ratter incopetent, from a level design point of view.

When I play a game, I like the feeling of me playing the game, and not the feeling of the game playing me.